Purchasing a bike with no title

toptaz1000rr

NO .. the only way to get a "RELACEMENT" frame from a company (speaking from honda experience)

is you have to be the OWNER of the damaged frame... show a title or registration and proof of who you are /passport or drivers lic..... AND EITHER you have to cut off the neck with the origional VIN and send it back to Honda.. OR you have to send back the complete damaged frame...

IF you dont send it back after they send you the replacement .. they contact the last state the bike was reg in .. and report it as stolen .. so when you go renew your reg .. you will eventually get caught/screwed...

they are VERY strict with certian items... called "CONTROLED PARTS"... means if you are NOt the origional owner .. you dont get the part..

toptaz1000rr

had a few customers come to me to do full frame swaps for them ... and also dealt with it when i was a mgr at a large honda dealrship ..

its not so easy as one may think .. there is a TON of paperwork .. why is it replaced.. how did it get damaged.. was there a police report .. did INS total it ... (which case still has to go for reinspection in ny) .. etc etc .etc

if not then people would be buying frames for 1500 .. stealing bikes and riding around on ndew bikes every year.. lol

ksolo81

in nc i know of guys who just go to salvage yards and get replacement frames or have someone restamp the frame with a good vin,. crooks are smarter than us so be careful! also here in nc all you have to do is call the vin in to find out if its stolen,and hwy patol station will do it for free. just cya (cover your ass)

rk97

the important thing to understand is that the frame IS the bike. In the scenario where your bike is stolen and the thief puts all your parts on another frame, it could be his frame - just full of stolen parts. Most major parts (engine case) is stamped with a VIN that should match the frame, so it'd be easy to tell.

a traditional example would be if I took a 1991 CBR F2 and swapped in basically everything from a 1998 CBR F3. As long as I'm still using the 1991 frame, the bike will always be titled as a 1991 CBR F2, despite the fact that the majority of the parts could be from 1998. the frame is what makes the bike.

Some guys on cbrworld.net have used this 'loophole' in the system to put honda 929 engines in their F2 frames and pay much lower insurance. I'm sure that's not legit, but unless you give the insurance company a reason to take a closer look (like filing a claim), it works.