Purchasing a bike with no title

Fastguy

If I were to purchase a bike with the only intention to do track days and the bike did not have a title, how difficult would it be for me to obtain a title in Maryland for that bike?

toptaz1000rr

im possible in most states.. you need to established and PROOVE ownership and run the risk of a stolen item to boot

Fastguy

toptaz1000rr;36693 wrote: im possible in most states.. you need to established and PROOVE ownership and run the risk of a stolen item to boot
How do you prove ownership besides the receipt that you could get from the seller? What about the serial numbers from the frame and engine?

toptaz1000rr

what does a bill of sale from a guy on a stolen bike show? nothingh ..

if the guy is the legit owner 47 states you can get a rushed title replacement in 3 days for 20-30 bucks..

sounds FISHY!!

instinct says stay away ..

alot of police are coming to tracks now as well and doing random vin searches on track bikes as well cause long history of people thinking that if they steal a bike and run track only they dont have to worry about getting caught .... silly boys... they are getting caught.. and these are guys that are also adding 1000's in race parts to a stolen bike ..

they go to jail .. lose the bike... get embarassed getting arrested in front of a track org they ride with .. and lose the 1000's in parts...

NOT WORTH IT ! IMO

SimplyRed

:agree:

There's no legitimate reason a bike shouldn't have a state title or a mfg certificate of origin from the dealer in the seller/owner's name. Folks buy/sell bikes like this 'cause they either don't know any better, get greedy/lazy, or are thieves. It's not worth the hassle or getting in trouble over. Find a legit bike with title and avoid any issues.

stephenjpauls

My Track bike was "Bill of Sale" however it came with a of the "Certificate of Destruction" issued to the previous owner. This is a good reason to have a bike without a title (As it can't be titled), but the main thing to beware of is that the bike is not stolen, and proof that it is not stolen. As I'm paranoid I keep a photo copy bill of sale, and the certificate of destruction on me whenever I have the bike, just in case I'm pulled over with the bike on the trailer.

toptaz1000rr

stephenjpauls;36748 wrote: My Track bike was "Bill of Sale" however it came with a of the "Certificate of Destruction" issued to the previous owner. This is a good reason to have a bike without a title (As it can't be titled), but the main thing to beware of is that the bike is not stolen, and proof that it is not stolen. As I'm paranoid I keep a photo copy bill of sale, and the certificate of destruction on me whenever I have the bike, just in case I'm pulled over with the bike on the trailer.
yes but as you said it came with STATE or INSURANCE PAPERWORK that recognized by the state and police..

usually in my experience if there is no title either 1- its stolen, 2- there was some default on paying a loan hence no title so the person is trying to unload it, 3- something shady going on ...

every vehicle in the USA comes with a VIN.. as well a MSO (manufac certificate of origin-the ORIGIONAL TITLE form the factory) and some way to proove OWNERSHIP..

even dirt bikes have VINS 99 out of 100 people do not insure or reg them .. but they CAN be with the legit paper work

my advice STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

toptaz1000rr

SimplyRed;36754 wrote: A certificate of destruction is a type of title.
no a title is something you can LEGIT regsiter a vehicle with and get PLATES and INSURANCE

a COD is just that its an official piece of paper that says that this vehicle is NOT worthy of road usage and can not legitimately be used on public roads.. where it DOES show a certain type of ownership ... its not a title

SimplyRed

Titles come in different flavors, depending on the State. They can be clear, salvage-repairable, salvage-parts only, rebuilt, recovered theft, certificate of destr, etc. Not all title types allow registration, only those indicating suitable/safe for duty such as clear & rebuilt. Louisiana is one example of a State that consider a COD a type of title. Some others don't even user the term. Key is to check the specific state to verify the legitimacy and applicability of the document. They make is easy for us riders, don't they :)

rk97

toptaz1000rr;36695 wrote:
alot of police are coming to tracks now as well and doing random vin searches on track bikes
I've heard this too, but i've never actually seen it happen, or talked to anyone who has.

And how can the police - unsolicited - come onto private property (your home, the race track, etc.) without a warrant and 'randomly' search your VIN?

What's their probable cause?

Now if you're hauling ass, doing 85 down the highway, and they pull you over, then I wouldn't be surprised if they run the VIN of the bike on the trailer. Or, if you're trying to take a trip to Calabogie, I'm pretty sure the boarder patrol is going to run the VIN, but otherwise, why would anyone ever look?

All the concerns mentioned are legitimate, but i just feel like there's a 5% chace or less that there will actually be a problem.

toptaz1000rr

i understand what you are saying .. and i agree with you .. check with your specific states.... MY OPINION bottom line if this guy is selling you a bike that SHOULD have something LEGIT from it .. and is only offering you a BILL OF SALE which in alot of states is not worth the paper its printed on ...

stay away and look someplace else

SimplyRed

rk97;36761 wrote: All the concerns mentioned are legitimate, but i just feel like there's a 5% chace or less that there will actually be a problem.
I think the main thing for me is it's crappy to let thieves profit and get away with stealing by not simply requiring seller's to have legal/legitimate paperwork. Easy to show if they obtained the bike legally, along with a VIN check. Bike's get stolen everyday - many get sold with no titles. Why screw a fellow rider like that?

toptaz1000rr

rk97;36761 wrote: I've heard this too, but i've never actually seen it happen, or talked to anyone who has.

And how can the police - unsolicited - come onto private property (your home, the race track, etc.) without a warrant and 'randomly' search your VIN?

What's their probable cause?

Now if you're hauling ass, doing 85 down the highway, and they pull you over, then I wouldn't be surprised if they run the VIN of the bike on the trailer. Or, if you're trying to take a trip to Calabogie, I'm pretty sure the boarder patrol is going to run the VIN, but otherwise, why would anyone ever look?

All the concerns mentioned are legitimate, but i just feel like there's a 5% chace or less that there will actually be a problem.
i have seen it done with cars trailered to the race track ...

and they can come on to the track property cause the track owners will allow them to .

think about it if you own a track and say that they cant come on .. they say ok .. noproblem ...
then they sit out side on public streets and stop everyone going in and out doing full checks... causes you more headaches to say no then yes..
and at the end you are protecting the riders/drivers from the THEIVES

and u figuring its less than 5% chance of it happnening .. you are taking one hell of a gamble..

in 2003-4 here in NY there was a 3 county sweep and they confiscated over 500 bikes some track only and some street... think about your 5% ....

500 BIKES in 6 mths that were hot ... would you want to be 1 of the 500 ?

and i know for a FACT that 80 of them were track only (realisically closer to 150 ... but i know for a FACT it was 80 at least )

good luck .. ur dancing with the devil .. i would not want to be u if you HAPPEN to be 1 of the 5% :wow:

toptaz1000rr

SimplyRed;36766 wrote: I think the main thing for me is it's crappy to let thieves profit and get away with stealing by not simply requiring seller's to have legal/legitimate paperwork. Easy to show if they obtained the bike legally, along with a VIN check. Bike's get stolen everyday - many get sold with no titles. Why screw a fellow rider like that?
agree :rtfm:

Revvin' Evan

I had always wondered about the whole stolen track bike thing. Good info guys. Now what about the bikes that have the VINs scratched off? I ask because, somebody could read this, be like "oh shiz, Ima just scratch the VIN off and they can't touch me even if they do show up at the track" but im assuming its illegal to remove a VIN from a vehicle?????? Even if it is illegal to do so.....how can anyone prove the bike is stolen if it has no VINs left on it?

*sigh* I'm so glad I have theft coverage on my bike:D

toptaz1000rr

Revvin' Evan;37269 wrote: I had always wondered about the whole stolen track bike thing. Good info guys. Now what about the bikes that have the VINs scratched off? I ask because, somebody could read this, be like "oh shiz, Ima just scratch the VIN off and they can't touch me even if they do show up at the track" but im assuming its illegal to remove a VIN from a vehicle?????? Even if it is illegal to do so.....how can anyone prove the bike is stolen if it has no VINs left on it?

*sigh* I'm so glad I have theft coverage on my bike:D
well you hit the nail on the head it IS a FEDERAL FELONY to remove a FEDERAL VIN TAG (which is what a VIN stamp is considered)
AS WELL
on teh STATE level it is ALSO a STATE FELONY to remove a VIN tag or stamp

now if you get checked and they can not find a vin .. or see it is scratched away .. they CAN impound the bike til you can PROOVE ownership .. and they do have ways to bring up a VIN using acid and a few other means...

if you happen to get a frame LEGIT from a dealer with NO vin #... it will still have 2 things..
1-at someplace on the bike a non removable 6-8 digit code or 'vin' will be assigned to the frame...
and /or
2- you will have LEGIT paperwork from say 'honda' for example taht will show that 'code' is legit and belongs to you ..

bottom line.. be legit ... only can hurt you in the end by not being so

rk97

No vin means no one can prove ownership and the bike can't be resold. I would imagine the police impound the bike and then destroy
it.

Revvin' Evan

toptaz1000rr;37272 wrote: well you hit the nail on the head it IS a FEDERAL FELONY to remove a FEDERAL VIN TAG (which is what a VIN stamp is considered)
AS WELL
on teh STATE level it is ALSO a STATE FELONY to remove a VIN tag or stamp

now if you get checked and they can not find a vin .. or see it is scratched away .. they CAN impound the bike til you can PROOVE ownership .. and they do have ways to bring up a VIN using acid and a few other means...

if you happen to get a frame LEGIT from a dealer with NO vin #... it will still have 2 things..
1-at someplace on the bike a non removable 6-8 digit code or 'vin' will be assigned to the frame...
and /or
2- you will have LEGIT paperwork from say 'honda' for example taht will show that 'code' is legit and belongs to you ..

bottom line.. be legit ... only can hurt you in the end by not being so
So from what you said, someone could steal my bike, buy a frame from honda, swap parts and the bike would then be theirs? That can't be right.:notsure: