Q3 tires

murph146

Control Rider
Just thought I would throw this out there in case anyone was interested, just came off the track after a days worth of riding at NYST with the new Dunlop Q3's. My first impression was turn in was a little slow compared to the dot race tire but not by much (120/180). By mid morning i had adjusted to the turn in of the tires. My out lap was awesome just like I had been using warmers! I still gave it a lap but that's it just one not the normal Sally 2 lap wait and go. Tire wear was GREAT running A pace all day and the tires never slipped( the tires can take much more but the riders hand won't leave it pinned through the corners, working on that) I should be able to get possibly another 2 weekends out of the rear then a new one but the way they are priced I'll gladly part with my money. I was running 29 rear and 30 front, the day was sunny and warm and since I was at NYST it did rain! Unlike dot's pull out and go, it's great to have the piece of mind that what ever the weather is going to do YOU are ready to rock. I do not work for Dunlop and I am a true Michelin rider but I have now converted to the dark side(Dunlop :)) so if you need a new set of sneakers give em a try i'm sure you won't regret it.

cmmpr1

Thanks for the review. I saw on the internet that Dunlop has $40 mail-in rebate on any Q3 set. Not bad at all

moman

Murph, welcome to the darkside. I've been enjoying these babies since I put on the first set back in June.

MrK

I put them on my R6 at summit and am very very pleased. Was going to go to the 211's for my next set but with the rebate I guess two more sets are in order ($230 for a set after rebate). Murph, I only have one day on mine, do you think you could go 2>1 rears to fronts?

Bought a set for the RSV4 (190/55)...will be running them at Thunderbolt next week. I pace :) Coming off the OEM Supercorsa SPs that held up amazingly!

rupertn

Good review! I ran 180 Q2s and then upgraded to Q3s on my '02 Ape RSV-R, I found the Q3s turned in noticeably sharper and held the line, agree they are really good from the get go, a CR followed me first lap out and said we were going a good clip on cold tires. I did get some slides driving out of turns during the sessions, but for me the issue was wear rate, my twin chews through a rear in 2 days at NYST. I just put a set of Pirelli Pro slicks on, the ones that don't need warmers, had some dry sessions at Thunderbolt last weekend, in between torential rain [!], still getting used to them, my first impression is they v. stable, think I was used to Dunlops squirming around more, half expecting Pirellis to suddenly give because not getting feedback or movement, but maybe that's because they are really "dug in", certainly feels like it driving out of corners, they seem to really hook up unlike the Dunlops that always felt a bit loose, to me. Also, the wear rate is looking pretty good, hoping to get a day in at NYST soon and make a comparison.

Aprilia 417

MoMan and DewDrop convinced me to try the Q3s and I had good results with them. At NYST the Q3s definitely had more grip while they are cool than the Pirelli SCs I usually run. Once the track and tires both got hot in the afternoon, the SCs have an advantage, but given that I paid $235 for a pair of Q3s vs $245 for one SC rear, I'll definitely use them again. They'll definitely be my choice once cooler autumn temperatures set in.

NexxWins

Aprilia 417;285676 wrote: MoMan and DewDrop convinced me to try the Q3s and I had good results with them. At NYST the Q3s definitely had more grip while they are cool than the Pirelli SCs I usually run. Once the track and tires both got hot in the afternoon, the SCs have an advantage, but given that I paid $235 for a pair of Q3s vs $245 for one SC rear, I'll definitely use them again. They'll definitely be my choice once cooler autumn temperatures set in.
Make sure you send in your rebate form to Dunlop. Then you will only have paid 195 for the set.

bpolunin

I'm running 120/180 on my Tuono and these are awesome tires. Although, I have not tried them on the track yet. Will be doing that this weekend. Would love to know where I can get these for $235 for 120/190 also :)

Jester

Yamahawkins
Control Rider
Director
I got a set for $250 shipped from motorcycle-superstore and then add in the $40 rebate and its a great deal. I am coming from a set of PP3s so looking forward to seeing how these will do.

denbsteph

I mean no disrespect to all the other riders on this thread........

Any "A" riders using then Q3's? Looking for some feed back. I used the Q2's before switching to US N-TEC's slicks. Burning up the rear after 4 days.

dbarufaldi

denbsteph;285785 wrote: I mean no disrespect to all the other riders on this thread........

Any "A" riders using then Q3's? Looking for some feed back. I used the Q2's before switching to US N-TEC's slicks. Burning up the rear after 4 days.
Yes I've been running Q2 and now the Q3 basically for all of last year and this year. I don't have my lap timer handy, but I know I ran 1:30 at Grattan on Q2s, and 1:05 and change at Beaverrun on the Q2 front and Q3 rear.

Basically it is an outstanding street and very, very good track tire. The two places that I think it suffers are 1) cold grip, and 2) extremely hot grip once worn. When it's very hot, and it's worn, you'll feel it moving around a bit. Nothing dramatic, nothing binary, just moving around. The cold grip issue is a little more serious, in my opinion. Once at the A-level pace, I think this tire needs to be warmed up for at least one lap and probably more if you don't use tire warmers. On a hot day, this is less critical, but in the mornings or on a cool day, I think you can get yourself into trouble with this tire if you don't properly warm it up.

That said, I think with the appropriate attention paid to those two issues, this is an outstanding tire and will bring you well into A pace, if that's what you want out of it.

denbsteph

The Q2'S did the same thing, cold and getting greasy was an issue. No need to snatch up lap times, looking for some feed back on how the tires are, I use warmers so no issue there.

What about wear? What are you getting out of them, # of TD's that is. Thanks again

Dennis