Q5S winter storage?

Laszlo

Howdy all! I see across forums that the winter season posts are trickling in. Wanted to ask about storage of these tires:

Fine to leave in detached garage? Weather sealed but uninsulated. Other bikes stored there. Plan to ride it once every three or four weeks (i commute on another bike with dunlop mutants). Anything to consider regarding possible below freezing temps for the Q5S?

When i auto crossed i stored my tires in black bags on their side in the basement bc those compounds didn't like to get below freezing. I don't see many folks do that for bikes. I have two track days (novice) on them so would prefer still to use them in 2024.

Thanks all!
Laz

GummyShark430

Control Rider
If it sustains below 50 degrees I recommend all slicks and race tires should be stored inside or in a temperature controlled location to prevent cycling or cold damage. Read manufacturer recommendations for additional information or reach back out and I can help. I also recommend not storing tires on bare concrete. DOTs are fine outside but still degrade just at a much slower rate as they are designed to handle more cycles. Your idea for your autocross tires is sound I recommend not stacking them vertically but rather standing side by side to prevent extra weight but again not that important keeping off bare concrete and keeping above minimum temps are ideal.

Laszlo

Thanks! All the bikes are off the wood floor on Pitbull stands with zero weight on tires or suspension. I couldn't find a spec sheet for these tires for storage.

These are DOT thankfully I'm just still unsure about overall storage. I'm guessing one Winter won't be too bad for them, a New Jersey winter with not a lot of below freezing days (now inviting Murphy's Law).

GummyShark430

Control Rider
Thanks! All the bikes are off the wood floor on Pitbull stands with zero weight on tires or suspension. I couldn't find a spec sheet for these tires for storage.

These are DOT thankfully I'm just still unsure about overall storage. I'm guessing one Winter won't be too bad for them, a New Jersey winter with not a lot of below freezing days (now inviting Murphy's Law).
NP! But def inviting Murphy's law . I put my bikes on stands and just drag the wheels into the basement regardless of type just for my own personal confidence. Your tires are your #1 safety feature so I treat them accordingly.

jsin38

Do not store them near bags of fertilizer. I cannot say when or where I learned that old motorcyclist wisdom but I have never questioned it.

Laszlo

Do not store them near bags of fertilizer. I cannot say when or where I learned that old motorcyclist wisdom but I have never questioned it.
Yep! For me here, i just created an insulting box with mouse traps to keep the temp above 40F. So far so good.

rpm894

Don’t worry about it too much. I crashed on Dunlop slicks. The bike sat in the back of my truck uncovered for months until I recovered to unload it. Then it sat in my parking lot all winter. Those same tires worked fine the next year.