Qualifiers - Tread Wear vs. Heat Cycle

ktuso27

I'm wondering whether tread wear of the number of heat cycles the tires have been through is more important when determining how many track days you can get on a set of Qualifiers? I have a new set and visually the set on the bike doesn't look much different than the new set when comparing tread. Also, where are the TWI's on the Qualifiers, I'm not sure where to look?

Brian Laws

The TWIs are usually inside every third (I think) grove mid-way between the center of the tire and the edge. I haven't heard much about heat cycling these tires yet, I'd be more concerned with wear.

jimgl3

Qualifiers are street rubber yes? if you are B group like me and if your tires still look new after several track days (mine do too) the only thing you may want to consider if you are not putting street miles on the tires, is the over all age of the tire. i get to do so few track days that my tires just get old. heat cycles don't necessarily bother street tires, but over all age will result in them hardening up before they ever wear out if you're a B group wuss like me. .... o.k. all those rain days may have made the tires last longer. but i still feel like a wuss. i want to be fast and get on the gas and wear out some tires like Mr. Laws! Hey Brian, any chance you are going to be at Rd Atlanta in July? it's about time Mary made a video of you all with the new T12

What is considered "old" for qualifiers?
Here's my situation:
-I currently have less than 3k street miles on my OEM qualifiers.
-I purchased the bike in March 08. The bike was manufactured probably in Fall 07. Not sure when the tires were made.
-I didn't take any tread depth measurements, but I would say that I have more than half of my tread life left.
-Only two sessions were run on these tires in B group.

Should I be concerned about my tire condition for my next trackday?
*edit: I'm not sure if this makes any difference, but after my trackday, the rear tire is kind of shiney and feels like hard plastic. Not rubbery like it used to feel like.

ktuso27

I have 6 trackdays on a set of qualifiers i bought from moon in April. I have a ZX6 that is track only so no street miles in between. I have a trackday Monday with TPM and Im debating whether or not to mount the fresh ones. And yes im a B group wus 2.

jimgl3

April doesn't sound bad at all.
it's the shiny hard plastic look and feel that may be cause for concern
a pal of mine was questioning everyone at Barber last year about should he go out on these tires...
he went out.
he went down.

ktuso27

jimgl3;66329 wrote: April doesn't sound bad at all.
it's the shiny hard plastic look and feel that may be cause for concern
a pal of mine was questioning everyone at Barber last year about should he go out on these tires...
he went out.
he went down.
I hear ya. Ive already been down this year and it would really s**k going down with a fresh set of tires sitting in the garage cause im trying to squeeze 1 more TD outta these ones. Thanx man.