Question about first Trackday...

Keems06

Hey guys, I'm planning on doing my very first trackday this year at Blackhawk. I'm debating on whether or not to do the entire 6/6-6/7 weekend or just one day (Sat or Sun). Any reason why I shouldnt do the whole weekend for my first trackday? I do get a $10 discount for a two day event! And thats a good enough excuse for me! Any recommendations? Thanks in advance

-Mike

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Do the two days! Work with a CR on the first day, then you have the second day to reinforce and build upon what you learned on day 1. I think multiple days are better for learning.
Focus on being smooth rather than fast, and have a great time!

Meat

Do 2 days! You will probably be totally dead after the second day, but I seem to learn more in 2 back-to-back days than I do from 2 single days. And you make so much advancement from your first day to your second.

xlink

And get in shape if you want to get the most out of it. Two days at BHF is no joke.

And you save a lot more than $10 - you save a trip and the hassle of loading your bike and gear.

Keems06

Awesome! Thats kind of what I thought, I might as well jump in head first right? And you're right, it does save an extra trip. Now if this weather could get above 50 again, I could get out and do some riding. Thanks for the advice everyone, see you at BHF June 6-7th

-Mike

vanelli56

xlink;41088 wrote: And get in shape if you want to get the most out of it. Two days at BHF is no joke.
AMEN to that.... no matter what track you go to its physically and mentally demanding on you. Bring LOTS of fluids to drink as well.
If you sign up for both days, just take your time learning things the right way. Hook up with a CR and have them take you around and show you the lines and the smooth way around the track.

Two pieces of advise I got when I started was that....#1 dont worry about making every single session, as you will get exhausted... if you miss one to take a break, no bit deal. Usually by the last couple of sessions in the afternoon, you will notice only half the bikes out there in a group...if that.
#2. If you start to feel tired, you already are tired.... If you start to feel exhausted, you already are exhausted. This is when you start to make mistakes, so once again...take your time, pace yourself, learn all you can, and put it all into place and you will have a great time BOTH days!

Welcome to the addiction!!!!:wow:

chaun

Do both days... you'll be kicking yourself if you don't.

Day 1 - Learn the track, get feedback, build confidence
Day 2 - Grin ear to ear as you find your pace and the rhythm of the track
Day 3 - Day dream about the past two days

jsin38

All of the above is great advice. Especially the physical conditioning part. My first full track day was just last season and I underestimated the amount of core strength and endurance needed to effectively wheel the bike around at speed.

Make sure you read the riders manual, too :)

JRA

jsin38;41149 wrote: All of the above is great advice. Especially the physical conditioning part. My first full track day was just last season and I underestimated the amount of core strength and endurance needed to effectively wheel the bike around at speed.

Make sure you read the riders manual, too
:)

Best advice you have gotten right there.:D

vanelli56

JRA;41156 wrote: Best advice you have gotten right there.:D
+1 Read the riders manuel
:agree:

and if you really want to get into hard core shape and truly condition yourself for the trackday.... I suggest going to the gym and hitting the treadmill and weights.... in full leathers!
:haha: no one will laugh or stare.... I promise.:D

Keems06

Ohhh definitely, thats what the perforation in my new leathers is for right? Just incase I get a little warm while doing squats? Haha

Thanks for all the valuable advice everyone. I'll definitely be doing both days.

cnsmoore

If you decide that you have to get your moneys worth and make that last session on the first day and happen to lowside with all of your brand new street plastics on...Well, think of it this way...now you get to invest in those sick looking race plastics that you have been eyeing!:doh:

Not like that has ever happened to me or anything:confused:

gkotlin

See ya out there. Read the riders manual page to page. You will be really tired after day 1. You will be completely exhausted after day 2 unless your in great shape. Lots of people camp out at BHF. So feel free to come out Friday night. BHF is less of a track day and more of a track experience. TYPICALLY, we arrive Firday night. Socialize and tell stories. Saturday we ride and have as much fun as possible with your clothes on. Saturday night we bbq and hang out some more. Some get to bed early. Some don't ever get to bed. Sunday. More of the best times you can have on your bike. Sunday afternoon. Dig deep for the last bit of energy, to load up. Say goodbye and promise you'll be at the next event. Go home and pass out, exhausted! Work till the next track weekend. Repeat till snow covers the ground.