question about installing vortex rearsets

tiggen

I am having trouble figuring out how to attach the shift rod. I've got the rearset together (I think), but I don't understand how the rearset, shift rod, and shift knuckle attach. (I did at least figure out that one end was reverse thread.) The photos and instructions are less than helpful. Can somebody walk me through it? I would greatly appreciate it.

john

tiggen

Sorry about that, it is an 04 cbr600rr. The problem is that I do not understand what attaches to what. I know that one end of the shift rod attaches to the screw on the foot lever, but after that I am completely stumped. Do I use any of the stock parts? Does something go through the big hole in the middle of the shift knuckle (the one that looks like the foot peg goes through)? Why are there two screws and an empty hole on the shift knuckle? How do I get it to a GP shift?

Yank 521

Control Rider
tiggen, i have a cbr 1000 and i have mine set up like this. from the shifter on the vortex to the stock shifter mounting bolt. there should be a part from vortex that was provided that u mount it to. then from that part to the shift stud in the motor. vortex gives u two rods, i only use 1. but i think they are if u want to use gp shift or stock. sorry i don't know what the parts are called.

gkotlin

The rearset is mounted to the frame. The shifter linkage attaches to the shifter lever. There is a pivot that comes with the rearsets. This pivot point goes in the spot where the stock shifter lever connects using the stock bolt. The other shifter linkage goes up to the shift shaft that goes into the engine. Depending on which side you connect the linkages to at the pivot point determines if it is GP or standard shift.

Booty Freak

Here is a picture of my set up for a 2007.
Hope this helps.

100_1180.jpg

tiggen

I appreciate the pic, but the 04 has a shifter knuckle where the original shift peg went. It therefore has two rods.

I have since been able to mount the rearset, however, I cannot get the GP shift to work. When I turn the knuckle upside down there is something (I don't remember what) blocking the path of the shift rod from the knuckle to the shaft. I tried removing the hex screw that holds the screw that attaches to the shift rod (in order to screw it in to the other empty hole). However, I can't get the hex screw out. Instead of unscrewing it just turns within the knuckle. Any ideas?

PJZOCC624

on my 04 1000RR, the rod that went from the knuckle to the transmission used the stock linkage rod. I found that you just have to adjust link at the transmission in order to get the shift linkage (from the shifter to the knuckle) to get it right. The rod(s) from Vortex were the shift linkage rod (or your horizontal rod). I did find that there was some interference at the kickstand, but just fiddled with the connections a bit to get it right.

Drewbie

These were the only pics I had at work where you can see the linkage. Maybe they will help. It is setup for GP shift.

SHIFTLINKAGE2.jpg

SHIFTLINKAGE.jpg

tiggen

Drewbie,

Thanks. That pic does help!! I will try to extract and replace the screw when I get the bike back from the shop. Thanks again!!

sobottka

booty- you need to adjust your shift rod/linkage to 90 degree angles. spin your shift rod to draw it in on its threads then adjust the linkage on the motor side and shift pedal side to to approx. 90 degree angles. you will need to adjust the shift rod some to get it right.;) more like this...
shiftlinkage017.jpg

Booty Freak

sobottka,
is your ride a 07 ? I just don't think it's possible to have my rod at
90 degree angles. The vortex rearset just isn't high enough.

Booty

sobottka

yep its an 07 and all rearsets should be the same in this regard. you need to spin your shift rod to draw it in on its threads and reposition the linkage on the motor end to 90 deg to the shift rod. it will take a little tinkering to get the shift lever position comfortable on your foot but the linkage at the motor end (i forget what the peice is called, the shift rod attaches to it and it fits over the splined rod comeing out of the motor) should be @ 90 deg to the shift rod. -sobott

sobottka

better yet- reposition the linkage to 90 deg first then adjust the pedal to the correct position by spinning the shift rod:D