Question for a prospective member

devildogae

I have a friend who really wants to try the track out, only he has a stretched CBR1000RR, he wants to know if he will be allowed on track, or does that fail him right off the bat?

Kruizen

Control Rider
How much stretch?? 4" or 4'?

As long as the bike is sound I can't see him failing anything. Might get some funny looks, some major ribbing, etc.

It's great he wants to try the track, does he realize that stetching the bike is going to make it handle the corners differently, than a stock machine would. Does he still have stock parts to put it back to original?

devildogae

He believes its lowered 1 inch and stretched 8 inches. He knows its not going to handle like my bike through a corner, but he does ride his through the mountains, deals gap, etc... He wants to make sure it's still safe for him to ride it on the track.

I don't believe he has stock parts, its real custom and he bought it like that.

stkr

I was a CR in the Midwest, and I would have some serious concerns about using a stretched/lowered bike on the track. It would technically pass tech as long as he meets the requirements in the rider's manual for the group. I'm guessing :b: since he's just trying it out. He could also do the Intro Group for free for two sessions.

Concerns:
1. Lowered - When a bike is lowered, you lose ground clearance, and this results in a loss of available lean angle. This loss of clearance will result in hard parts and fairings dragging in the turns. When hard parts like foot pegs and/or exhaust touch, it lifts the rear wheel, and this usually results in a crash. This is why people opt for adjustable rear sets to increase ground clearance.

2. Stretched - A stretched bike just doesn't turn very well. That's the reason they're "normally" stretched. To make them more stable in a straight line, and less wheelie prone, for drag racing. There's really no other reason to stretch/lower a bike unless its just for posing at the bike night gatherings.

3. Suspension - how was the bike lowered? Just new wishbones and sliding the forks up through the triples?

If a bike is going to be lowered, then it really should be re-sprung to account for the loss of available travel. This can be done by using a different spring rate, or a progressive rate, to carry the same load over a different distance.

Bottom Line

Yes, the bike will be able to navigate a race track, but it will require a lot of work to turn it effectively, and as speed/lean angle increases, he'll be close to the edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avizpls

#11-A
Don't CBR bikes all ready have some corner clearance issues? I personally would be hesitant, but I dont hand out the stickers. Basically, I would want someone above me to say OK.

Another thought, it should be a hands down "NO" if it was stretched as such:
large_8659_RTS550KIT_1.jpg

meaning an add-on to the stock swingarm. If its a whole new longer swing-arm, its more gray. But I really dont think I'd the cheap extenders on the track.

Ruhe52

Would want to see a picture. If all stretched and blinged out let me guess nice sharp pointy bar ends and knife like brake and clutch lever.

A bike with its suspension set up in this manor is a crash waiting to happen. Would love to have your friend come out and if the bike is all other tech items friendly I can see no reason it would fail tech but you basically put yourself in the "that dude is gonna crash " category.

To say the least you are going to rash the lowers when you run out of ground clearance.

My guess while wanting to come out and check the track out this will not be the sort of outing that would leave one wanting to come more.

Beyond tech how is a vendor to recommend tires or pressures or try to help adjust a suspension. My guess is with a one off you are on your own. Further complicating the possibility of having any fun.

Again nothing in the manual says fail on what you describe but there is no chance it is as safe as a standard bike.

Key to it is make sure you do it at a NE or Mid Atlantic event :D

Kruizen

Control Rider
Agree on the pictures. "BLING" typically means form over function.

If he is determined, get him to NCbike for the try the track. Nice and level, constant radius turns. Nothing that extreme that should upset the suspension/handling of his bike.

Ruhe, with the Buell 1125r, I'm pretty much on my own at every event. yes basic suspension, and tire pressures-OK, but beyond that geometry is completely different than 99% of bikes(so no I wouldn't let most people adjust that), my belly pan constantly rubs in turns, I know 1125r racers that wear holes through their body work almost every weekend. There is no parts support(except tires) for my bike with the vendors at any event. I literally bring a good size parts box with me in case anything happens.

finally seeing a couple of other 1125r's at track days, but we are still the extreme minority.

devildogae

Kruizen;280443 wrote: Agree on the pictures. "BLING" typically means form over function.

If he is determined, get him to NCbike for the try the track. Nice and level, constant radius turns. Nothing that extreme that should upset the suspension/handling of his bike.

Ruhe, with the Buell 1125r, I'm pretty much on my own at every event. yes basic suspension, and tire pressures-OK, but beyond that geometry is completely different than 99% of bikes(so no I wouldn't let most people adjust that), my belly pan constantly rubs in turns, I know 1125r racers that wear holes through their body work almost every weekend. There is no parts support(except tires) for my bike with the vendors at any event. I literally bring a good size parts box with me in case anything happens.

finally seeing a couple of other 1125r's at track days, but we are still the extreme minority.
Yea I like your idea of a flat track to try it on!