Question for the SE CR's - help needed.

speedfree

My track-day buddy and I are both signed up for Barber this weekend. We are both strong "I" riders, and we ride the exact same pace within a second, all day long. His R6 has developed some last-minute mechanical problems, so he may not have a bike this weekend unless we work something out.

One horrible day last winter, when my bike got binned in the first session of the day by an overzealous Jennings local, he offered to share his R6 - he just bumped up to "A" for the day. (He's that good a friend!) Since then, we both ride "A" if we go down there - it's the safest group at Jennings!

So my question: how does NESBA work in situations like this? Can we show up and alternate on my GSXR? If so, does one of us bump down to Beginner, or would a CR be open to riding around with me in the first session or two as a provisional "A" rider? I've been thinking about trying for the bump, but honestly it's not that important to me. I enjoy working thru traffic, and I don't really have any patience issues - I just really like to ride, and passing on the outside is a hoot! Also, I'm shy in person (even tho I'm a e-gangsta), so it just doesn't ever seem important enough to overcome that to approach you guys in search of an ego massage.

This is important enough to me, though. Friendship always is. So...Advice? Suggestions? Thanks, guys.

Mr.DJ

Hi Fred,

Sorry to hear about the bike and I hope things work out before your next event. I say this because we don't offer an option of "group hopping" out of convenience or selling out an event. Some good news is you can share a bike if you are in different groups. But, even then, its a case-by-case basis. Unfortunately, two members sharing in the same group is not an option. I would not chance attending to see if one of you are bumped to "A" group early in the day in hopes to solve this temporary snag. An expectation as such would put a damper on the day and thus not allow one to focus on just enjoying the ride. Good luck with this and please post again if something else seems like a viable option.

dj

speedfree

I completely understand, even though I'm disappointed.

FWIW I wasn't suggesting we alternate in the same group - I understand the safety issue there. And I was assuming the best case (for us) that "B" group wouldn't be sold out, a spot open.

We are both registered and paid, so I guess I was asking if we could get a special dispensation for this one event for either he or I to bump down to the slower group (not making any assumptions on my own readiness to make the move up to "A" - that was an afterthought). Being in management, I understand that it's never a good idea to set the precedent of making special dispensation for people, because then everybody expects to be treated special.

It is a six hour drive, though, and it would be a bummer to have to do it alone. So I hope he has enough extra cash (and luck) to get his bike fixed in the next 24 hours...

Does anybody out there have a spare bike they'd rent to a solid rider (with a deposit, of course)?

speedfree

DJ, what if we were to split the day - ie one of rides 'til lunch or the first session after, then RE-TECH, with the correct different number on the bike & the other rider's gear, etc, and the other one of us finishes out the day? Would that be an acceptable solution? Thanks -