question for those that birng kids to the track..

j_fuggin_t

My g/f and my son frequently come to the track with me when i go, afterall its a family type thing w/ us nesbians, my question is what do folks use for infant earplugs etc.. ?? i've been looking and seeing some stuff but the reviews aren't very clear etc..

erick1670

I bring my kids and never boder with that.... my youngest was a month old when she hear those sweet sounds, here she is
9229_1125892277080_1520363607_30337580_3347295_n.jpg

and my oldest at the seme track day
9229_1125892397083_1520363607_30337583_101254_n.jpg

and here are currently
9229_1125890037024_1520363607_30337526_7566531_n.jpg

180572_1528602784591_1520363607_31120749_3103714_n.jpg

but if you are that consern maybe you could plase some cotton on the ears

Hitman954

If your lookin for something I've seen kids at other racing events wearing ear muff style protection. Not the coolest look wise but great protection. Is it bad to use the orange style ones that go in the ears? I'm sure that would work too. Cotton isn't a bad idea but isn't really a muffler. Good for you for looking into this. Kids ears are sensitive esspecially your youngin.

j_fuggin_t

we tried the regular ear plugs but they kept falling out & he kept brushing his hands across them and knocking them out. i've been looking at the earmuff style but not sure how big they are on his head

Mikey75702

My daughter is 3 and she doesn't seem to have a problem with it.... she just doesn't get to close to the bikes when they are on the track... the pits are semi loud, but not that bad.

ChasingChaos

I bring my three but they are a little older 7, 9 & 11 and they don't seem to mind the noise. Although they don't seem to hear me call them when it's time to quit playing and come inside. :)

S3aturnR

i would think that you'd have better luck with the earmuff-style as opposed to an in-ear earplug for a small child/toddler. maybe something that you might see at a gun range?

my kids are older and they've both been to the track with me before. they never wore hearing protection, but they are big enough that they'd cover their ears or move away if it was bothering them, so i can't be of too much help here.

very important to do some kind of hearing protection, tho, especially for those ages that are not able to tell you that it hurts their ears.

on a side note; can't wait to see everyone at RA on memorial day!

s3aturnr

PJZOCC624

When I brought Joey to his first track day, he was right about a year old. I checked with my pediatrician about ear protection, and he felt it wasn't necessary. Their proximity to the noise and actual decibel level is not near enough to cause issues. Unless your kiddo is standing next to yout bike and your fire it up and rev the snot out of it, he shouldn't have an issue. But, if you still want to use protection, try the silicone plugs that you can squeeze and mold. You can even cut them to make them smaller. There are kid size ear plugs for swimming, and these would work also.

j_fuggin_t

PJZOCC624;190545 wrote: When I brought Joey to his first track day, he was right about a year old. I checked with my pediatrician about ear protection, and he felt it wasn't necessary. Their proximity to the noise and actual decibel level is not near enough to cause issues. Unless your kiddo is standing next to yout bike and your fire it up and rev the snot out of it, he shouldn't have an issue. But, if you still want to use protection, try the silicone plugs that you can squeeze and mold. You can even cut them to make them smaller. There are kid size ear plugs for swimming, and these would work also.
thanks, i may try cutting them and seeing if i can get them to stay in there that way, i think i'm gonna order a earmuff style as well to see how he does with them

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
Depends on where they are going to be and for how long. If my son was sitting in the bleachers beside the track for an extended period of time I would get the headphone type. In the pits is probably not an issue.

At the Laguna and Indy GP the noise was unbelievably loud. There were parents smart enough to have their kids wear headphone type hearing protection. There were also parents that had infants there without hearing protection. It was completely irresponsible.

jfeagin

I haven't given my kids anything for the times they've come to the track with me because the paddock just isn't uncomfortably loud. But when they have needed protection, the headphone style has been the easiest to use. If your kid is old enough, though, you can find smaller sizes of ear plugs in musical instrument dealers that cater to students. They're typically just a few bucks ($10 or less), have a case, and are washable for reuse.

Kim

From a peds nurse perspective, I would avoid putting anything in a baby's ears - their ear canals are much shorter and straighter than an adults, making them more prone to ear infections. You don't want to put anything in there when there are other options.

I'd go with the headphone style ones since they go on/off pretty easily and look hella cool. :D

baby-headphones.jpg

fitz

I have some "Headphone" style for kids that I had from when I did cub scouts. Small, work very well.

If anyone needs any let me know.

fitz

j_fuggin_t

fitz;190612 wrote: I have some "Headphone" style for kids that I had from when I did cub scouts. Small, work very well.

If anyone needs any let me know.

fitz
can you measure them for me??

Jiggy

Control Rider
The Dollar Tree sells full ear muffs like they have at NASCAR races. They are not completely noise cancelling but for a buck, you cant beat them.

Joe Vital

my daughter has been coming to the track sisnce she was three months old. she will be four years old in july. i use the silicone/wax type plugs with her, cause if she eats them it is not a problem. i buy the bright orange ones so i can quickly see whether or not she has them in her ears. i also have a set of kids ear-muff hearing protectors. she likes to wear them more than the plugs. when i start the bikes she always reminds me to put my ear plugs in!