Question On bumps

gsxr11

If u are in I group and good enough to bump up to A class will u be held back because ur bike is not safety wired and A group specs back protecter example ect. :bumpme:

barry38

If you are in the "I" group and feel you are on the verge of getting bumped to "A" it would be wise to have your bike prepped for the "A" group. The only things extra for "A" are safety wire your oil drain plug, your oil fill plug, and your oil filter, and drain your coolant and put water/water wetter in you radiator.

You can get bumped to "A" without doing these things, however you cannot ride with the "A" group until these items are completed.

Other than the bike prep items, there are no additional personal protection items required between groups. Although if you are riding without a back protector now, I highly encourage you te get one. It is, in my opinion an essential peice of safety equipment.

Dave561

Control Rider
All of the points Barry mentioned are great ideas for all groups. It's not too difficult to wire a bike once you know the routine. I'd be willing to help anyone prep their bike in the evening

slowpoke

+1 on wearing a back protector regardless of what group a person rides in. IMO, it's the second most important piece of safety gear after a good helmet, and it saved my ass (well really my back) in a 'b' group crash.

BTW - stay away from slowhonda once the sun goes down - trust me on this one or just check youtube:D...

stkr

(insert cheesy commercial music here)

Safety wire: Not just for the A-group anymore!

It's never a bad idea to safety wire. I've seen lost track time and a crash due to an oil drain plug coming out at Barber into T-1. It was a B-group bike. Vibrations are the same no matter what group you're in.

stephenjpauls

My bike was always running water wetter and wired despite being the slowest guy in 'B'. There is no way I want to ruin someone else’s day because of something stupid. The great guys at Turn One Racing have a "How To" that will really help with this task.

As for the back protector... get it. While your at it get a chest protector as well.

gsxr11

Thank u for all the help fellas and one more dum question I probly sound like a ass but can u safety wire ur pipes. Last year at RA am broke off 3 of the springs that hold the full exhaust on. Instead of buying replacements just use safety wire?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
gsxr11;120662 wrote: Thank u for all the help fellas and one more dum question I probly sound like a ass but can u safety wire ur pipes. Last year at RA am broke off 3 of the springs that hold the full exhaust on. Instead of buying replacements just use safety wire?

I wouldn't trust just safety wire in place of the springs, but once you replace the springs you can safety wire them in place by running safety wire through them and attaching them to the loops at both ends. At least they won't go bouncing down the track if the break. And, if they've just managed to unhook themselves, you won't lose them.

The springs place tension on the pipes, ensuring a snug, leak-free fit.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
stephenjpauls;120658 wrote: My bike was always running water wetter and wired despite being the slowest guy in 'B'. There is no way I want to ruin someone else’s day because of something stupid. The great guys at Turn One Racing have a "How To" that will really help with this task.

As for the back protector... get it. While your at it get a chest protector as well.
:agree: I had my bikes fully safety wired in "B" Safety first...:cool:

Meat

gsxr11;120662 wrote: Thank u for all the help fellas and one more dum question I probly sound like a ass but can u safety wire ur pipes. Last year at RA am broke off 3 of the springs that hold the full exhaust on. Instead of buying replacements just use safety wire?
I agree with Judy in that safety wire is not a replacement for the springs but the safety wire can hold the exhaust together and keep it from coming loose should you loose a spring. I have safety sired by headers after about my third track day. I popped one of the springs on my new aftermarket exhaust, so I just safety wired them all.

I am like a lot of riders in that I safety wire more than is needed because I don't want something to fall off and end my day, or anyone else's day).

And ask any other questions you have. I have had tons and will have tons of questions into the future. So, ask away.

Fastguy

slowpoke;120646 wrote:
BTW - stay away from slowhonda once the sun goes down - trust me on this one or just check youtube:D...
slow_honda;120647 wrote:
Dude you're scaring away all my new bestest buddies :D
:spank:

:eek: Oh my!

Trent1098S

Remember to check everything over and make sure it's all tight before you ride. I had a bit of a scare last night when I found my rear axle nut had worked itself loose after riding the track this weekend. The safety pin was all that was holding the rear wheel on the bike......

gsxr11

thank u for all the help!!! this sight is the best plenty of help and answers to questions thank u nesba..... am going to give it a try to wire it up meself wish me luck (power tools :notsure:) i wouldnt NEVER want to waste someone else track time for my bike dripping oil on the track.....

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
gsxr11;121413 wrote: thank u for all the help!!! this sight is the best plenty of help and answers to questions thank u nesba..... am going to give it a try to wire it up meself wish me luck (power tools :notsure:) i wouldnt NEVER want to waste someone else track time for my bike dripping oil on the track.....
Cool! Always appreciated when oil plugs/filters/filler caps are wired! And don't forget to get those replacement springs for your exhaust! :) I'd hate to see that flying off! :eek:

Meat

gsxr11;121432 wrote: now the oil drain plug u drill a hole or buy another bolt?
Drill a hole, they are easy. You may even be able to do it on the bike, depending on the bike.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Meat;121441 wrote: Drill a hole, they are easy. You may even be able to do it on the bike, depending on the bike.
Yup, or, if you're not adept with a drill (I'm not, I suck.) you can purchase pre-drilled bolts. Ed Bargy makes a trackday kit that includes a pre-drilled OEM bolt, drilled filler cap, a hose clamp for the oil filter, and some safety wire. Also the stuff you'd need to disable the kickstand, as he requires that at his school, but NESBA does not.

Places like Pro-bolt probably have them, too.

gsxr11

ILL BE GOING TO RA JUNE 1 AND 2 BUT IF I NEEDED IT CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH THE DRAIN PLUG NOT REALLY GOOD WITH POWER TOOLS LOL :notsure:..............I GOT THE FULL PLUG AND FILTER DONE :D..............IS IT HARD TO DRILL A HOLE THRU THE HEAD OF THE BOLT