Question to BMW S1000RR Owners

betarace

I have a friend who will be riding with me who is new to NESBA and track riding. He has been to California Superbike School and and a result purchased a 2010 BMW S1000RR, and I will be helping him prep the bike for the track day. I have been riding with NESBA for the last 7 years and am fluent in tech inspection requirements.

My question is regarding the headlights, mirrors and turn signals. Usually I disconnect/remove all of these items, but since the BMW is not known to me I want to make sure that this is the correct approach with respect to throwing any ECU codes when these items are disconnected/removed. Are there any gotchas?

TIA!

Z

Pseudolus

betarace;249875 wrote:
My question is regarding the headlights, mirrors and turn signals. Usually I disconnect/remove all of these items, but since the BMW is not known to me I want to make sure that this is the correct approach with respect to throwing any ECU codes when these items are disconnected/removed. Are there any gotchas?

Z
Hey Betarace, here's some advice I got from Moman when I was prepping mine. I removed the fuses for the main head lights (the parking lamps stayed on) and turn signals, removed the rear turn signals/fender, and mirrors and taped over the front turn signals and rear light because removing the rear light connector causes the same error mentioned by Moman below. If you want to look at my thread, it's at: http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?t=24733

"Leave the parking lamp bulbs in, just put more tape in that area. If you pull the bulbs you will get a lamp fault indication which will prevent you from seeing the bike temp You can have the dealer turn the fault feature off but more than likely they are going to charge you to do that."

moman

Ya, if you pull the turn signals off you don't get a fault unless you turn on the signals. I just took my S1KRR to track for first time. I put black electrical tape over tail light and parking lamps so they didn't shine through. Here's a video for your enjoyment!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WgtA66oOQo

moman

betarace;250001 wrote: those walls close/high enough? WTF!
No big deal, it's on a straight LOL. Looks scarier on video than it actually was. Absolutely a great track but need alot more laps on it to get it figured out.

rob92

Control Rider
N2
+1 on alpha racing plug kit. It will be a pain switching the bike back-n-forth between track/street, though.

moman

Kit is nice but will be cheaper to just have dealer turn fault feature off. Then if you go between street/track nothing to deal with. The 2012 model has the option of turning the fault feature off via the instrument cluster. I wish lamp fault had never been put on the bike to begin with.

TDA

I have all the alpha racing stuff and it works great. takes me about 30 minutes to get all the stuff of and the jumpers in place. Swapped mine out last night before dinner in prep for this weekend. They make it very simple to remove everything. the entire front end comes off in one piece as does the farings. the tail will come off if you remove 4 screws and unplug the lights. Couldnt be simpler :)

good luck