Quick question, can't decide on new bike

trickyricky

Arrgh!!!! Up on the fence between 2002 R1 and 2004 R1. Both with Power commander, 02 with full Akra, 04 A&R baffles, gutted cat. Pazzo levers on 02, Corbin seat on 02. Tires are decent on both. 02's rear shock needs help. Graves stacks on the 02. 23k miles on 02, 14k on 04. Both asking $5k

I want to decide by today.... What do you think?

PJZOCC624

All things being equal, Id go newer. Don't get hung up on levers, Corbin seat, tires (which you'll most likely replace anyway). The rear shock thing might be an ender for ME, but...

I assume you're talking track bike?

trickyricky

Smart money says go newer, but I never claimed to be smart!
Not looking forward to the exhaust heat from the underseat pipes. The rear shock does appear to me to be a negative, agreed with the tires poitn already made. Do not underestimate a good Corbin seat :D
The 04 has some silly items that if I buy it would be off of it very quickly like angel eyes, leds on the tag, and those A&R baffles are loud, so I would be looking at doing something about it

Always thought that the 02 was a better handling bike, but I can be wrong, happens all the time

trickyricky

dmb367;116877 wrote: neither, but that's just me:)
Well, don't let me guess, why wouldn't you? Don't like Yamaha? I tried to look at Hondas around here but as much as people try to convince me, they are not made of gold, too much money being asked.
Maybe another RC would be nice, hmmm or another Duc or Suzuki. There is a GSXR 600 2007 for sale as well, just got used to bigger bikes on the street.

dmb367

For track and street, get a newer 600. More fun on the track, better on tires, cheaper insurance. For 5k you could get a solid ride, maybe 06 or 07 with some goodies if you look around.

trickyricky

Couldn't agree more with you. That's why I use an '01 750 just for the track. I say double duty because once my wife returns, she will hit the track as well, so there goes the 750.
Thanks for the input everyone.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I had an '00 and upgraded to the '05. Both had all the bells and whistles and without a doubt the '05 wins. '00 and '02 might be a little different, fuel injection and what not, but I'd still go newer.

NickMcCoy

I've owned both generations and each has benefits over the other. The '02 will have more low and mid-range torque which is nice for street riding, the '04 has a huge top-end compared to the older model. It has a higher redline and 20 more horsepower on top and really rips up there. This makes it a blast to ride in the upper rpms but you're going to be breaking the law constantly to do this because 1st gear redlines at like 94 mph. The '04 weighs more but I liked the handling better, it felt almost like a 600, very quick handling. I like the looks of both but I really liked the dual underseat exhaust on the '04, especially is you have an aftermarket exhaust. The heat isn't bad and if you get rid of the cat it's barely noticeable.

trickyricky

Thank you for all the info. I went with the '04. Pics to follow soon. The cat is already gutted out, but I think that I'm going to re-pack the baffles as they are too noisy, but I'll drive around first.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Good choice Shipmate...if both bikes are going for the same price, you can't go wrong the newer model...:cool:

chaun

How about an 2006 R1 Ann. Edition $5250

http://www.tulsasportbikeriders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25358

Shane @ three seven eight - five five four nine

picture144custom.jpg