Quick Shifter Worth the Cost>

tankslapper

Have chance to pick up a quick shifter/Power Commander/Ignition Module. Question, from a racing perspective, is this thing worth a second a two for lap times.

Dave561

Control Rider
I love mine and it may be worth up to a second in times. You can see yourself gaining on riders down the straights as they shift.

sobottka

you've obviously not ever ridden with a quick shifter...... its so sweet! not so much about improved times as improved ride quality. worth every penny

rk97

i don't remember who said it but, "once you ride with one, you'll wonder how you ever rode without one ...but it's one more (expensive) thing to break in a crash."

the same was said with regard to a slipper clutch, which is arguably harder to break, and possibly more useful.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
i just upgraded to a quickshifter...it was a bit expensive (had to buy the bike with it :p) but i do love it...and took me a session or two to get used to it (still rolled off a couple times)

however, I am not that impressed with the stock slipper....

sobottka

also throttle blipping can cause (or contribute to) arm pump/fatigue. a q/s makes for an easyer ride not to mention being able to shift at considerable lean angle without upsetting the bike.
ps- I dont think it saved me any time at all.... maybe .10 second, might be faster with one less thing to think about though

rugbymook

Control Rider
Race Director
I put a quickshifter on my Triumph in mid 2007 and was bummed i waited so long to try one. I do not have one on the SV.

You will pick up a few tenths of a second like Katie mentioned. I like the stability in shifting mid-turn the most. No weight transfer like when blipping the throttle to make a shift without a QS.

Racing or not, I prefer a quickshifter.

I am not a fan of Dynojet stuff. I've seen many Dynojet PC's fail, QS's that stop working, and other issues. Most of the top guys I race against have spare stuff sitting around for when theirs goes south.

I have the Starlane Quickshifter on my Triumph and it's AWESOME! It uses a load cell instead of moving switch, so it basically eliminates the swich failure. The new ones are even slicker!

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
I'm getting one in the offseason. It's not for the lap times, it's to preserve my left hand. I've been told by my doctor that carpal tunnel issues are imminent for me, and that cutting the amount of lever pulls in half would go a long way to postpone surgical needs.

JRA

ninjamansc;83966 wrote: I'm getting one in the offseason. It's not for the lap times, it's to preserve my left hand. I've been told by my doctor that carpal tunnel issues are imminent for me, and that cutting the amount of lever pulls in half would go a long way to postpone surgical needs.
I think you'll find that all the faster guys upshift without the clutch regardless of whether they have a quick shifter, so you can eliminate those clutch pulls for free. Just quit using it!.

I love my quick shifter. Once you try one you'll never go back.

Katie785

JRA;83997 wrote: I think you'll find that all the faster guys upshift without the clutch regardless of whether they have a quick shifter, so you can eliminate those clutch pulls for free. Just quit using it!.

I love my quick shifter. Once you try one you'll never go back.
Yeah... exactly.. i havent used a clutch to upshift since i starting riding on the track 5 years ago. The quickshifter doesn do anything to the clutch itself - it cuts the ignition quickly, so itstead of letting off the gas you can stay in it.

It is difficult to go back and forth between bikes with QS and bikes W/O them. I borrowed a bike for VIR and it was back to back races. I had to keep telling myself that I didn't have it for the borrowed bike and only had it for my own. It's nice in T5 and 7 at VIR North where you shift cranked over, but at the same time I found that it makes the bike wheelie mid turn and that's NO good at all. That was likely a suspension issue, so unless your rear is set up properly, it's going to throw you off. I raced Drew's bike at Beaverun last weekend and found that I would have been better off w/o the Q/S as in the middle of 10 it was wheeling on me. NOT good when you need to keep turning! I ended up going in in 3rd gear and giving up a lot of time there just to avoid the wheelie from the combined Q/S and stiff suspension

splicer4u2

q/s

I went to Road Atlanta this year and was having a hard time upshifting down the front straight. CR John Allen was following me and noticed I was having a hard time in the straight shifting. He told me to quit using the clutch during upshifts. I did this and have been using clutchess upshifts ever since without a q/s. Is this hurting the trans or will it be fine? I have really picked up some time using that technique.

Madski

rugbymook;83846 wrote: I have the Starlane Quickshifter on my Triumph and it's AWESOME! It uses a load cell instead of moving switch, so it basically eliminates the swich failure. The new ones are even slicker!
Scott,

Do you know if Yoyodyne the only place to get the Starlane kit un the US? Is it pretty easy to set up on the Trumpet?

Thx

Motofun352

Control Rider
++ for a quick shifter. True it's a gadget and there's other more important stuff to spend the money on, but it's really sweet to be able to easily catch another gear in the middle of a turn. I don't swap sprockets for different courses as it can really screw up suspension settings. So occasionally, like at Summit Main, I want to go from 3 to 4 while still leaned over in turn 10. Just tap the shift lever, stay on the gas and smooth as butter I'm in 4th. It's not totally seamless but pretty close and better than I can do without it.

rugbymook

Control Rider
Race Director
Madski;88883 wrote: Scott,

Do you know if Yoyodyne the only place to get the Starlane kit un the US? Is it pretty easy to set up on the Trumpet?

Thx
Not sure if Yoyo is the only place, but that's where I got mine.

It's pretty easy. You have to just find the 12v supply line to the coils and splice the Starlane into it. The control unit is very small and fits under the seat easily. I have Woodcraft rearsets with the GP shift linkage and the load cell and rod still run through the hole cut in the frame!

A good friend of mine and I installed it in about a half hour. I might bring the bike out to BeaveRun next weekend so you can see it.

Court Jester

I have a Techtronic quick shifter on both Kawis. They are hands down the best investments you could make after your suspension. The clutch really starts to be used for not much more than traction control on your way out of the turns hard. I wouldn't bother with one on a street bike, but they're a must have on a track bike.

BLARNEY

Worth it completely.

Not because it is .2 secs a lap faster...... but because it gives you smooth consistent shifts
that are kind to the transmission AND reduces fatigue....... believe it or not but when you
are driving off a corner and hanging on..... moving your hand to use the clutch to shift
actually makes you expend some energy.

In addition, it's one less thing to concentrate on.

click the lever..... .smooth shift...... easy.

Tom