Race fuel storage

Fritz

Its end of my track season and I have 3 or 4 gallons of 110 race fuel left. Should I put in stabil and keep it till next season? It's leaded fuel...should I run it in my street bike or truck to use it up?

Fritz

some guy #2;220403 wrote: I was under the impression that once you opened the can it will go bad if it sits to long.
The fuel was bought from a bulk tank near a local track....

dlockhart5x

It will be much less than 110 by spring. Use it up in a motor where real fuel won't cause a issue. ( no catalytic and so on) I use it in lawn equipment. C12 with A747 mixed is heaven in a leaf blower or trimmer. The smell of U4 coming from your snow blower will bring a smile to your face during the bitter cold months.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Anything that doesn't have a catalytic converter will do...2 strokes will be happy as hell, You could run your chainsaw for 3 months straight on that much gas!

If stored in a sealed metal container at room tempurature in your house, you should have no issues. Absolutly DO NOT put Stabil in race gas. It is not needed as race gas is not the crap we run in our cars and trucks. As Dave said its "real fuel".

I had a nice long conversation with a VP sales rep when I bought the TZ about race fuel and how to care for left over gallons. The long and the short is leaded race gas is uber stabal and does not go bad when stored in sealed metal containers. In a plastic jug, over time it looses some of its potency quickly. I ran VP C12 that was a year and a half old (stored in a metal VP five gallon can) and had no issues. I also have discussed this issue with local 2T guru, and great friend, JonnyZ and same advice was given along with chatting with TZ guru Bruce Lind and again, same advice. Store the left over in a metal can designed for gas, in some area where the tempurature doesnt swing wildly and use that stuff next spring.

I have about 3 gallons of Sunoco 112 sitting in a five gallon VP C12 can. It is sitting behind a big bench in our house...my wife hates that it is in the house :D

BZ

LOrtega

Control Rider
Fritz if your really worried, you can mail it to me and I will use it to make sure it doesnt go bad ....:)

alocker

some guy #2;220430 wrote: Now to really show how little I know,

Oxygenated fuel isn't leaded fuel? Or are those 2 separate properties?
They are not always mutual. VP U4.4 us leaded and oxygenated FYI.

Oxygenated is not as stable and will go flat after opening. They will store better in the larger drums that seal with metal caps. The plastic allows them to breath slowly.

Fritz

LOrtega;220426 wrote: Fritz if your really worried, you can mail it to me and I will use it to make sure it doesnt go bad ....:)
It seems to be leaking out the envelope ???

RSVracer

hey guys. I know I'm bringing back an old thread. I have a question about race fuel storage. My locally available 112 leaded is supposed to be stored in metal containers only.

http://www.rockettbrand.com/techsupport/documents/ProductApplicationSheets/112LProductApplicationSheet.pdf

What type of trackside fuel can do you guys recommend for this? This stuff is only available to me at the pump so I dont get the OEM container like VP uses. Im looking for something with a nice, flexible pour spout that can take the place of my current plastic cans. Thanks!

Motofun352

Control Rider
Why fret over a few gallons of gas? As long as you have a way to use it I wouldn't keep it over winter. 2 strokes, lawn mowers, garden tractors, weed wackers and chain saws all would love a taste of the REAL STUFF....

RSVracer;254546 wrote: hey guys. I know I'm bringing back an old thread. I have a question about race fuel storage. My locally available 112 leaded is supposed to be stored in metal containers only.

http://www.rockettbrand.com/techsupport/documents/ProductApplicationSheets/112LProductApplicationSheet.pdf

What type of trackside fuel can do you guys recommend for this? This stuff is only available to me at the pump so I dont get the OEM container like VP uses. Im looking for something with a nice, flexible pour spout that can take the place of my current plastic cans. Thanks!
Believe it or not, Harbor Freight sells a metal gas can and thats what I use for when buying the Sunoco 112 at NJMP.

No flexing spout but its a metal gas can. Looks like the old WWII gas cans in design and was about 35.00 bucks.

BZ

RSVracer

I spoke to the tech guys at Rocket fuels and they say there is no problem with storing their 112 leaded in plastic containers for short periods of time. They just stressed not to ventilate the storage container or allow UV rays to get to the fuel if at all possible. So as long as I'm not buying more fuel than I need for a race weekend and keeping what little extra I do have at a constant temp then I should be fine with my existing jugs.

noobinacan;257323 wrote: I've been thinking about running race gas for a while now...may try it next time.
but, what to go for ? I have a full system, does this mean, I'll need to tune for race gas ?

the list is long and confusing...
http://www.vpracingfuels.com/motoroadracing.html
The list can be depending upon what you are going for.

Believe it or not, I called VP and spoke to one of their sales reps about all the various race gases and it was an education.

There are two answers about tuning for race gas. Yes and no LOL!

If you wnat to get the best out of the gas, then yes its time to talk with your local tuner (and go to a real shop about this). You can get some nice base numbers that will still allow you to run pump gas without issue, but run the race gas with an clear HP increase. Or get really radical and tune for race gas only :p

The no part is, you can run Vp100 or VPC12 and your bike will run, but that awsome smell coming from your tail pipe is the oder of money burning :D. Remember, this stuff is 8.00-13.00 bucks a gallon. Not having your bike tuned for it is a waste and even if it is it is expensive. As a side note I run Sunoco 112 race gas in the TZ. Its avalable right at the track (NJMP & Summit) and is around 9.85 a gallon. Cheaper than VP...but since I only do about 4-6 days a year the cost isnt too bad. You do alot of days the cost adds up quick!

BZ