Race license question. Is it to soon!?!

river rat

Would it be just plain retarded to get my race license after 3 track days? I would love to get in 2 or 3 races next year but don't want to look like a tard out there in the process. Thoughts?

Fastguy

I'm not a racer but a couple of questions that the racers will probably wanna know are;

1. Can you hold a consistent line on the track?

2. Are you comfortable with close passes?

If so, I would say yes.

Dont worry about looking like a turd. Just be safe and have fun!

Good Luck

ERB68

fastguy;159856 wrote: i'm not a racer but a couple of questions that the racers will probably wanna know are;

1. Can you hold a consistent line on the track?

2. Are you comfortable with close passes?

If so, i would say yes.

Dont worry about looking like a turd. Just be safe and have fun!

Good luck
^^^ this ^^^^

Mikey75702

river rat;159853 wrote: Would it be just plain retarded to get my race license after 3 track days? I would love to get in 2 or 3 races next year but don't want to look like a tard out there in the process. Thoughts?
I have seen this question posted multiple times on the wera forums. The consensus of actual racers seems to be that it is never too early to race. They said back in the day if you wanted to ride track, you raced. There were no trackdays. I suggest going over there, post your questions and get advice from them, including what way to get your license, how to get comfortable, etc. That said, I will be joining you for my first race season next year.

river rat

Mikey75702;159869 wrote: I have seen this question posted multiple times on the wera forums. The consensus of actual racers seems to be that it is never too early to race. They said back in the day if you wanted to ride track, you raced. There were no trackdays. I suggest going over there, post your questions and get advice from them, including what way to get your license, how to get comfortable, etc. That said, I will be joining you for my first race season next year.
Lol, yeah I figured I would start over here. That board can get real harsh, real quick. Thanks for the replies so far.

Mikey75702

It seems genuine questions about how to enter their sport are accepted well. And are answered respectfully. If you post about something else, good luck to you though.

rugbymook

Control Rider
Race Director
If you are running "A" group with NESBA, you will have no problem giving club racing a shot.

ronhix

You need to have "A group" level skills BEFORE going racing.

Internally, most people will choose to go faster and take more risks at a race weekend. Externally, the race environment can be quite harsh at times with other people riding over their heads and getting you and them into trouble.

Rock solid skills really help when things get hairy...and they will get hairy. I think it is too risky to put yourself into that environment before developing the right skill set to handle it.

erick1670

rugbymook;159887 wrote: If you are running "A" group with NESBA, you will have no problem giving club racing a shot.
I was going to say the same and to get a bump to :a: in just 3 track days :wow::adore:

ronhix

erick1670;159892 wrote: I was going to say the same and to get a bump to :a: in just 3 track days :wow::adore:
You got bumped in 3 days?!? Go racing, you obviously have a lot of natural talent.

erick1670

ronhix;159893 wrote: You got bumped in 3 days?!? Go racing, you obviously have a lot of natural talent.
I ran in :i: since I started this addiction in 03 I do generally 6 to 7 days a year, and I did like running in that group and this year I got notice by a CR and I got the bump to :a: and so far I have done 2 days at this group in it feels like I have to learn a new set of skills.... I am not the slowest b/c I have made a few pases like 4 or 5, but I am the one that is being pass more :doh:... ohh well :popcorn:

dbakerpa

I never pushed for A since I am on the SV and getting passed on EVERY straight gets old. I will be there with you next year donning my I sticker.
You dont HAVE to race you can get your license and sit out till your ready. I would think the best time to race would be early before it gets real competitive but that is solely a guess.

rugbymook;159887 wrote: If you are running "A" group with NESBA, you will have no problem giving club racing a shot.
ronhix;159890 wrote:
You need to have "A group" level skills BEFORE going racing.

Internally, most people will choose to go faster and take more risks at a race weekend. Externally, the race environment can be quite harsh at times with other people riding over their heads and getting you and them into trouble.

Rock solid skills really help when things get hairy...and they will get hairy. I think it is too risky to put yourself into that environment before developing the right skill set to handle it.

What the wise vets said.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
ronhix;159890 wrote: You need to have "A group" level skills BEFORE going racing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq54-zuO8Is

also a video out there of some ace trying to pass on the inside of T5 on thunderbolt....going about 90 mph.....didnt work out well for either party...

i dont race (at the moment), but my suggestion would be to attempt to treat it like a trackday and dont go for gold until you are comfortable

river rat

ronhix;159893 wrote: You got bumped in 3 days?!? Go racing, you obviously have a lot of natural talent.
It was more like 2 days. My first day I only got to run 3 sessions in the wet. Looks like the overall opinion says to go racing. See yall on the track! Woot!

river rat

erick1670;159894 wrote: I ran in :i: since I started this addiction in 03 I do generally 6 to 7 days a year, and I did like running in that group and this year I got notice by a CR and I got the bump to :a: and so far I have done 2 days at this group in it feels like I have to learn a new set of skills.... I am not the slowest b/c I have made a few pases like 4 or 5, but I am the one that is being pass more :doh:... ohh well :popcorn:
I know the feeling man. I was blowing through the pack in I but once I hit A it was a whole new ballgame. I bought a new bike (the race ready r6 in my sig) so hopefully it will help just a tad. Hopefully lol