Race Railz?

mr.croom

I have a friend on another forum who has Race Railz on his bike, and wants to know if they are allowed at NESBA events? He was told that most racing, and some trackday organizations wont allow them, for fear of scuffing the track surface. I know a lot of stunters use them, but they do like they would be nifty in the event of a lowside. Can any of the powers that be shine any light on this subject? :notsure:

nevada

mr.croom;21709 wrote: I have a friend on another forum who has Race Railz on his bike, and wants to know if they are allowed at NESBA events? He was told that most racing, and some trackday organizations wont allow them, for fear of scuffing the track surface. I know a lot of stunters use them, but they do like they would be nifty in the event of a lowside. Can any of the powers that be shine any light on this subject? :notsure:thatd be me :D
thanks man.
im planning on some track days next year. ive gotta get everthing squared away before hand.

Lars;21710 wrote:
In here it says that CSS and Wera approved them: http://www.powersstuntworx.com/railz.html

Cu,
Lars
thanks!
funny, the manufacture was the last place id think to look for that info:eek:

this is good to know.
i feel they would protect, and hold up better than a regular slider....in the unfortunate event i had to test them. i dont stunt, ive just seen way too many "sliders" fail, and cause even more damage.

nevada

ta2kutz;21828 wrote: plus you get 50 bonus stunna points!!!!!!!
sweet!!!!
i need as many as i can get....

since im not a stunter:rolleyes:

so, WERA, and CSS approve. what about NESBA?

jimgl3

what bike are you putting them on?

that would be a hell of a lot cheaper than the Woodcraft engine covers I've been looking at!

nevada

jimgl3;21947 wrote: what bike are you putting them on?

that would be a hell of a lot cheaper than the Woodcraft engine covers I've been looking at!
theyre on my 05 636.

attachment.php

nevada

jimgl3;21956 wrote: is all the hardware included and does everything fit nicely?

and thanks, btw!
yeh, everythings there.
i guess some ppl had issues mounting them. they came with a small rubber spacer..intended to keep the rear mounting tab, from touching the frame. but, it was like 3/16" THICK. i didnt use it.
it JUST touches. im not worried about it.

with MY bike, i had to install a special oil cap. otherwise, you have to loosen the rail to add oil. with the new low pro cap, thats not necessary.

might not be an issue on another bike.

attachment.php

attachment.php

jimgl3

cool!
I've got an 07 gsxr 750
there are some similar bikes in photos on the website, but hard to tell exactly what they mount on.

FrostyFire

jimgl3;21958 wrote: cool!
I've got an 07 gsxr 750
there are some similar bikes in photos on the website, but hard to tell exactly what they mount on.
That's what I had mine on. It has a long tab that goes under the plastics and bolts into your regular frame bolt.

race%20railz%202006%20suz%20600%20750%20003.jpg

Meat

I have an 05 ZX-6R as well and think these may be great. Can anyone see a downside to them?

sternsi

Control Rider
I would personaly never use them. It looks like it may put a huge dent in the frame with a big impact on it. Look on the GSXR how it covers the frame by the rear set. Not to mention if it catches on something, it will make the bike flip end over end.

nevada

sternsi;21992 wrote: I would personaly never use them. It looks like it may put a huge dent in the frame with a big impact on it. Look on the GSXR how it covers the frame by the rear set. Not to mention if it catches on something, it will make the bike flip end over end.
are you suggesting that in such a bad crash, a bike with "frame" sliders would escape such damage? or in fact get LESS?

if you wreck bad enough to damage the frame, or the rail, you would have damaged the frame NO MATTER what you were using.

oh, and for those that dont know...there is a "puck" toward the front, in the SAME position a "slider" would be in. so THAT is the same. and in additional have the benefit of TWO mounting points, aswell as the bar in between.

ever seen a slider bolt bend/break? folding back, and wiping out the frame, engine mount, and everything else it was supposed to protect? i have, many times.
its the reason i chose these, over standard sliders.
its going to take a MASSIVELY bad wreck to do the same. in which case...it would have been badly damaged/destroyed anyway. this will just lessen the destruction.
wel, thats my take atleast...

sorry, dont mean to go off.

in the end, its "your" choice.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
I would think that a minor lowside would put a dent in the frame...i think sternsi was trying to say that there is a direct contact point with the frame that is metal to metal...no polymer to abosorb any shock...sooo, if ya go down, it would be as though you are taking a hammer right to that area...

i think they are a nice concept, but should have different mounting points in the rear section so that they are at a denser area of the frame....

Meat

Oh yea, I see what you (Lemon and Moto) are saying. I didn't even notice that. And on the pic of the Kawi you see it is cantilevered by a just a ~1/8 inch thick plate (by maybe 3/4 inch) ....pretty flimsy at the aft mount. Seems like if it had a better mounting location, it would be a pretty good system.

Seems like there isn't a one best protection system. Some people use sliders and others have caused lots of damage.