Racer Notes

zangman

Question for you racers and/or CR's. Do you keep a log book on sessions either at trackdays or races, and if so what type of information do you put in there. I've got a list of things I'm planning on tracking from now on but would like to get ideas from you all on things that I may not have thought about. Even if it is obscure I'd like to hear about it.

Matt H

I keep track of temp, weather (sunny, cloudy, humid, rain, etc), tire pressures, tire wear markings, suspension settings, turn by turn reference points (braking, turn in, apex, exit; visual stuff - sometimes where to look like, "keep looking as hard as possible through corner until you see X off the side of the track"), shift points, overall feelings for the day and feelings turn by turn, things to try turn by turn (changing reference points, line, whatever), and anything that I feel that I need to work on overall. Sometimes you just realize that overall you need to get off the bike more, get your upper body lower, look further through all turns, etc.

This gives me a reference for the condition of track, condition of my tires, how I felt physically/mentally, what lines/techniques worked/didn't, what things I saw/felt that I want to try to improve each turn, and what things I saw/felt that overall need work. They are good reminders for things to focus on the next time at that track, and somethings for the next time at any track. I find it really helps to be able to put into words what you are doing and what you are trying to do. That in itself can help you figure some things out. As is said, if you can't verbalize it, you don't understand it. So trying to put things into words can show you where you are deficient, and can also make you realize what you are actually doing and not doing. All of this leads to being able to have a PLAN for the next time in order to go faster. I'm a believer in just trying to go faster doesn't teach you much. Having a plan is what allows you to safely improve.

Hope that all makes sense and helps.

Macon663

:agree:

The biggest technical things for me is any changes to suspension that I'm making, tire pressures, and tire temps. But outside air temp/humidity is another one I need to start tracking as well.

Then writing down "feelings" of whats happening on the bike in different places on the track. Its pushing here, or rear is spinning there, or bike feels like its bouncing in certain places. Also, lines on the track, reference points.

Matt pretty much covered it.

barry38

I'm the polar opposite of Matt. I just unload and ride, then load back up and go home. I think it just depends on personality as to what works for a given person. For me, the more I have to think about something, the more screwed up I get.

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
I'm more like Barry. I just wanna ride. However pm me an e-mail address and I can forward you a pretty good excel spreadsheet for recording data.

RollieManollie

Control Rider
Matt H;20142 wrote: I keep track of temp, weather (sunny, cloudy, humid, rain, etc), tire pressures, tire wear markings, suspension settings, turn by turn reference points (braking, turn in, apex, exit; visual stuff - sometimes where to look like, "keep looking as hard as possible through corner until you see X off the side of the track"), shift points, overall feelings for the day and feelings turn by turn, things to try turn by turn (changing reference points, line, whatever), and anything that I feel that I need to work on overall. Sometimes you just realize that overall you need to get off the bike more, get your upper body lower, look further through all turns, etc.

This gives me a reference for the condition of track, condition of my tires, how I felt physically/mentally, what lines/techniques worked/didn't, what things I saw/felt that I want to try to improve each turn, and what things I saw/felt that overall need work. They are good reminders for things to focus on the next time at that track, and somethings for the next time at any track. I find it really helps to be able to put into words what you are doing and what you are trying to do. That in itself can help you figure some things out. As is said, if you can't verbalize it, you don't understand it. So trying to put things into words can show you where you are deficient, and can also make you realize what you are actually doing and not doing. All of this leads to being able to have a PLAN for the next time in order to go faster. I'm a believer in just trying to go faster doesn't teach you much. Having a plan is what allows you to safely improve.

Hope that all makes sense and helps.

Nerd Alert!!! ;):D

RollieManollie

Control Rider
Haha!! It's been awhile since Matt and I rode together! Hopefully next year I'll get to do more with Nesba than I did this year!

Matt H

RollieManollie;20177 wrote: Haha!! It's been awhile since Matt and I rode together! Hopefully next year I'll get to do more with Nesba than I did this year!
Ry - making it to Summit at the end of the month?

zangman

Thanks for all the good information. In the past I had been like Barry, but since I had started to gather a few items of info I realized it was helping me, if even a little bit. I also constantly watch my crappy on-board videos and compare them to those of better riders, evaluating a line that I could do better. The REALLY sad part is that I am constantly running laps in my head of the tracks I ride. I've even been dreaming sessions around Barber for the past 3 weeks. :meatball:

Off subject:
Next step, a slipper clutch, so the rear doesnt jump around on me under braking.

rugbymook

Control Rider
Race Director
Go online and print up the a few copies of the track maps for each tracks you run. Use a sheet like mentioned above for all the data points you're likely to change from track to track.

I like:
Front compression and rebound setting.
Front ride height.
Rear high and low speed compression, rebound, and spring rate.
Rear ride height.
Tires; compound, temps, and pressures.
Previous weekend laptimes, weather conditons, and general track condition.

The track maps help a lot. Mark down shift points, braking lanes, and any little tricks you learned regarding race lines.

kubricky

Control Rider
Director
Ryan, Good season man, no one gave you a congrats...you ran well out there all season. I figured you would go white...big congratualtions. The Beaver wreck really put a monkey on me, I wasn't doing half bad before that...I'll be out with a mission next year and hopefully I'll see you in the EX class in 2010. Oh and for s'ts and giggles I'm planning to run a 68 - 73 CB350 next year with all the vintage guys (I'm also running the 600s)...can't wait!

RollieManollie

Control Rider
kubricky;20471 wrote: Ryan, Good season man, no one gave you a congrats...you ran well out there all season. I figured you would go white...big congratualtions. The Beaver wreck really put a monkey on me, I wasn't doing half bad before that...I'll be out with a mission next year and hopefully I'll see you in the EX class in 2010. Oh and for s'ts and giggles I'm planning to run a 68 - 73 CB350 next year with all the vintage guys (I'm also running the 600s)...can't wait!
Thanks Chris...ended up finishing
2nd in BSB
3rd F1
5th in ASB

I learned alot this year and can't wait to apply it to next year on the track. By the end of the season I was really feeling comfortable with the pace only to have electronic and fuel issues hamper the last 3 rounds. The Beaver wreck you were in scared alot of us and I can't explain how happy we all were when you came back from the hospital! Goes to show how close the nesba and wera community are. Hang in there and I'm sure you'll have a steller year next year!!