Racing Gloves, Recommendations?

blueninja1

Hi all,

I am shopping around for a comfortable set of racing gloves which will last a long time and offer the best performance. For street riding I bought a pair of Cortech Latigo RR's and at first they were great but after a few rides the armor over the finger-knuckle area actually dug a nice deep cut into my left ring finger. Now I have to scrap a virtually brand new pair of gloves and I am hesitant to purchase another pair of glove with the hard armor over the finger area because I don't want the armor to dig into my finger.

Unfortunately many gloves on the market feature a design similar to the coretech's. Funny enough I had another pair of cortech's (an actual racing glove) that I used during trackdays and although they had some armor over the finger area it was not as prominent/bulky and I did not have any chafing issues there, so maybe it is just a problem with the Latigo's. Anyway I was largely considering purchasing a set of Kushitani's, but at $300 a pair I want to explore all my avenues before forking out the cash. So please educate me on your experiences and let me know what is the best racing glove on the market, in your opinion, their pros/cons, etc. Oh, and I am guessing the size of your hand will be a major factor in choosing the type of glove, so let's assume that I have an average sized hand with long and slender fingers.

Thanks,

Brendon

andykurz

There was a lot of good information in this thread about gloves recently: http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?t=26706&highlight=glove

I continue to be very impressed with a small company called Heroic. The price / quality ratio seems to be far better than any other major brands I've tried, and the owner / operator, Todd, couldn't be a friendlier or more helpful guy.

I got gloves from him last year, and bought one of his suits for this year.

http://www.heroicracing.com

1up5down

Control Rider
blueninja1;265462 wrote: cool beans. thanks all.

Al, I see you got a ktm 250. Do you do mx, enduro, or trail riding? I had a suzuki rm125 :)
Been doing trail riding and Harescrambles since 2009! I'll probably do my first enduro this spring.

blueninja1

that's awesome bro. nothing keeps you in shape like riding a dirtbike. the first time i rode mx i felt like my heart was going to pop outta my chest after a couple laps lol. great conditioning tool and you can ride all day nonstop. where do you usually ride?

1up5down

Control Rider
blueninja1;265466 wrote: that's awesome bro. nothing keeps you in shape like riding a dirtbike. the first time i rode mx i felt like my heart was going to pop outta my chest after a couple laps lol. great conditioning tool and you can ride all day nonstop. where do you usually ride?
The best thing about riding in the dirt is it is it's FREE!!! Harescrambles and Enuro entry fees are dirt cheap ($45 - 50 at most).

Regarding, where I ride. I'm in a club, I have a good group of guys from the club that I ride with almost every Sunday. I ride in NJ, where exactly??? Well, I can't tell you that or I'd have to kill you. My bike is legal (NJ plates) and I have proper insurance. So, riding is not a problem for me.

Be easy!

blueninja1

HAHA! you got that right. dirt is cheap as hell. well i paid a grand to ride 365, 24/7 at a nice mx track in long island. it was a pretty sweet deal. and when u fall you don't have to worry about a wrecked bike. hopefully you have a set of asv unbreakables on that baby to prevent the all too common broken brake/clutch levers. You prolly have a nice set of barkbusters too to fend off those stray branches/rocks and meetings with trees ;D

1up5down

Control Rider
blueninja1;265468 wrote: HAHA! you got that right. dirt is cheap as hell. well i paid a grand to ride 365, 24/7 at a nice mx track in long island. it was a pretty sweet deal. and when u fall you don't have to worry about a wrecked bike. hopefully you have a set of asv unbreakables on that baby to prevent the all too common broken brake/clutch levers. You prolly have a nice set of barkbusters too to fend off those stray branches/rocks and meetings with trees ;D
Nope, didn't pimp out the KTM. I have enough $$$ in the two race bikes!!! I do have bark busters to help protect my hands and the levers.

The dirt bike gets beat up pretty good and so does my body, but hey that's ok as I have fun and I'm willing to pay that price to have fun! The dirt bike allows me to keep riding October - April. That's why I'm not pressed to ride in March as I can ride the dirt bike to get my riding fix and help get me in shape for the roadrace season.

Be safe and keep that mind open to listening and being kind towards others! God provide us with two ears and one mouth for a reason. If God planned for us to talk versus listen more, he would have given us two mouths and only one ear.

blueninja1

i feel that. ride safe and dont shake up your insides too much :D nite nite

Little by little I develop the humility and discipline needed to walk with Jesus

blueninja1

Hi Dan, good to hear from you. Is there a distributor at njmp? That would be perfect because they could fit my hand on the same day and I won't have to worry about shipping gloves back and forth buying online. If you have a specific contact number can you send me a PM?

blueninja1

Cool, will give a call this afternoon. thanks z06

thanks havoc, nice to have a link to a shop that is relatively close to home.

blueninja1

Kushitani's arrived today. Took 5 days to ship from Japan, through EMS post service (express). Gloves were encased in a nice glove bag which zips close/open. The gloves fit perfectly except for the thumbs which are a little long, but it is possible to pull it tighter to make it fit more snug. The feel of the cowhide material is great and can't wait to test it out on the track.