Rain Policy

Geoff Doyer

From the Rider's Manual

" Rain Policy
If we do not roll a wheel on the track and the event is canceled due
to rain, you will receive a 100% credit to be used at another NESBA
event. Rain credit is only good for one calendar year from the time
of the cancellation. Credits can be used via your online profile.
If we get rained out after an event has started, there will be NO
credits or refunds issued. If you choose not to show up and we ride,
you will not receive any credit. If you choose not to show up and we
cancel the event, you will receive a 100% credit for another NESBA
event, to be used within one calendar year. Credits will be applied to
your account within two weeks of the event.
NESBA will ride on a wet track. However, there may be circumstances
when we feel it is not safe enough to ride and cancel the event. This
will be determined only on the day of the event.
NESBA reserves the right to adjust this policy at anytime without
notice."

Things to note:
1. We will always run in the rain as long as the conditions are deemed safe by the event director.
2. When NESBA or any organization rents a racetrack the track ownership does not give refunds or credits due to weather.
3. There is a big difference between "unsafe" and "miserable."

Rain sucks. Still, some of the most fun I have ever had has been riding in the rain. Some of the most miserable experiences have been riding in the rain as well. Nobody wants to see rain when you come to a trackday but we can't control the weather.

Whatever your opinion is on our decision to give 1/2 day credits for Summit Main on 6/5 happens to be, I am 100% confident that NESBA's rain insurance policy is without a doubt the BEST in the business. Take a look at our competitors some time. This will be my last comment on the matter.

Backmarker

Control Rider
Thanks for putting that out there for all to understand.........:cool:

And thanks for the 50% refund............:congrats:

kris223

I had fun and I learned a lot. I've never been that fast in the rain before and I learned a few things about my tires. At first I was really scared but then after the second time out I really started having a blast. Not a bad day for me. I need to buy some rain stuff for next time. I'm just a beginner and I learned some stuff that will stick with me.

The 50% credit is great and thanks. When do we see them? I want to register for another day.

Thanks for the body position seminar at lunch.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression that if NESBA decided it was unsafe and didn't allow anyone on the track, the track would give NESBA a refund, a rain cancellation credit. Guess that's not the case? Good to know, I really didn't know that was the case, as I was under the impression that rain insurance meant not only did the members receive a credit, but NESBA received one from the track as well. Makes sense. The club I used to ride with had rain insurance, but it was expensive, and it had to rain a certain amount between certain times to kick in, so often it didn't.

The weather is a crapshoot. No orgs can control that, and I do agree that NESBA's cancellation/credit policies are the best ones out there!

jfeagin

Didn't show on Friday due to my alternator gasket not arriving on Thursday. :mad:

That said, a great big bunch of thanks to NESBA for being such a great organization. :adore:

I've got a spare set of wheels. Time to get some rain tires! :D

msanna

Sweet! Didn't expect the half day credit!
Much love for Nesba, you guys including all the control riders, directors and Moon have always exceeded my expectations, Thanks!

Good time!

I thought it was a fantastic deal!!

I got to ride a track day and I get half credit!!. I had a good time riding on the Bridgestone BT-003, It was kind of fun sliding around in the rain and getting up to crazy speeds on the straight. In my opinion I felt safer out there then riding in a normal dry track day.....

Thanks NESBA!

Marcmcm

"Safe" is a pretty relative term...any clarification on that? Riding a track at 20 mph is "safe" but not why I do trackdays. No offense..just asking if there are any guidelines on what criteria will be used to judge what safe really is.

Joe Vital

Let me ask you a question...no offense...why would you have someone else decide what is safe? In other words, let's say NESBA decides the conditions do not warrant a cancellation. Would you then ride based only their decision deeming the riding to take place under to be 'safe' conditions?

What do you think is safe?

Riding on the track at most any speed is inherently dangerous. To think otherwise is foolish. Personally I do not care what the directors determine, I ultimately make the decision to ride or not to ride. I do not question that decision, I may agree or disagree, but I make the final decision to ride or not ride.

1literduceater

bigkaley;60913 wrote: So we're going to continue beating this dead horse? :rolleyes:

dead%20horse%20logo.jpg

Joe Vital;60916 wrote:

Riding on the track at most any speed is inherently dangerous. To think otherwise is foolish. Personally I do not care what the directors determine, I ultimately make the decision to ride or not to ride. I do not question that decision, I may agree or disagree, but I make the final decision to ride or not ride.
Can I get an AMEN!

crewnutz

no response needed for my statement but i thought id throw it out there

im sure statistics would prove that more riders wreck and get hurt on a dry day at X track than a wet day at X track

i went out and the track was not unsafe......it was miserable and cold but not unsafe

riding in the rain can be miserable, yes..........i know for a fact 90% of riders dont ride in the rain because they dont want to me cold and wet all day and they are intimidated by it.......most dont ever think about it being more "dangerous"

riding a motorcycle is inherently dangerous........period

Marcmcm

bigkaley;60913 wrote: So we're going to continue beating this dead horse? :rolleyes:
If you didn't want to continue discussing it why did the Mid Atlantic Director go out of his way to start an entirely new thread about it?

I make my own decision whether or not a track is safe as well which was exactly why I didn't turn a wheel on Friday. The point is, the rain policy is so subjective it's sort of ridiculous. What's the criteria to determine if it's unsafe? Is there any written criteria? Standing water? What level of grip? I understand the policy I just disagree with its application. If you can't determine the criteria for the safety of riding in the rain get rid of the rain policy altogether. i would rather know unequivocally that if it rains the org. is going to run rain or shine. That's fine, I'm ok with that. However, don't tell me you have this awesome rain policy but then totally go against everything I've known about NESBA from the last 4.5 years of riding with NESBA. I have personally been to events in the past that were called for rain for MUCH less than what was going on at Summit. Things have certainly changed over the last few years with NESBA.

EngineNoO9

Not sure how the policy can be confused. They've said at certain tracks absolutely positively if it rains they'll never run. So what does that tell you? If you aren't at one of those tracks, you can assume that they will try and run. Pretty simple to me...

kris223

I'm thinking safe would be could ya race in it. Would they of called the race on Friday? Maybe some people that know that could tell us ... I ride in the rain on the streets all the time but the streets don't have standing water and streams for the most part. Summit Main seems to suck on that score. I had a blast that day and I learned a lot, but I guess it would come down to a race and if it were one would they have shut it down. Is that the definition of safe?

RollieManollie

Control Rider
EngineNoO9;60963 wrote: Not sure how the policy can be confused. They've said at certain tracks absolutely positively if it rains they'll never run. So what does that tell you? If you aren't at one of those tracks, you can assume that they will try and run. Pretty simple to me...
It's very confusing if you've been around nesba for the past 5 years watching them call events due to a slight mist at beaver and not with a down pour at Summit Main?

Seems pretty simple to me when comparing the two.....

And for what's it's worth, wera didn't run main last August when it rained during their national. Maybe the track's grip has changed since that, i don't know.

To respond to the topic of safe, I felt safer in the rain then in the dry because their weren't a bunch of overzealous riders out there. They were all cautious and yea I would prefer a dry track day any day but if their running a track day then you might as well take advantage of it.

I felt safe on D.O.T tires that were shagged and knew the limits of the bike, We didn't have many crashes that weekend and the one we did have he blamed on his own error and not the rain.

There was plenty of grip, but you wouldn't know if you didn't go out :)

I had some fun battles out there!