rain tire help

blueninja1

hi y'all,

what's the best rain tire to use for an upcoming wet trackday and how much should i expect to pay for a set?

also what pressures do you run front and rear with the rains? why do you run these pressures?

let me know what pressures you run with dry weather tires as well so I can get a comparison.

thanks in advance.

-brendon

eE jeremy

buy them from the tire vendor at the track, $400-$500 depending on brand, the vendor will be able to tell you pressures etc, it varys by brand.

shaugdog

Conti's run pretty cheap, I paid 375 or so at the track mounted. Pretty good tires too. Those particular tires are run 30/30 cold.

Mikey75702

blueninja1;208838 wrote: that's a no-go.

gona get them mounted at markbilt's sometime during the week.
Then call Mark and ask him to get you a set as well... Or call Colin and order a set of dunlops from him.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
What tires do you have on now?

My 2 cents....leave the tires you have on. You're better off running DOT's with sipes than buying rains. The DOT's will disperse water and grip surprisingly well and will last.

Rains, on the other hand, you will chew the living HELL out of if a wet track day all of a sudden dries.

Rains are also a better wet condition option if you happen to have a second set of wheels available for them. Then, if it conditions change and it does dry, you can swap back to DOT's and continue the day.

But, don't mind me..I'll gladly eat the track day fees rather than ride in the rain, possibly wreck and have to spend even more on repairs than the $200ish I lost. I'll be in the camper watching "Smokey and the Bandit". I mean seriously..there ain't much better than Sally Fields in those tight blue jeans. :D

blueninja1

lols @ sally field. they cancelled the track day on sunday because of the hurricane so it saves me the headaches. i had pirelli dragon corsas but no tread left on the rears. as of now the bike is sitting on brand new corsas so thankfully i won't be wastin another 600 on wet weather tires.

you comin the 29th?

fitz

D-Zum;209427 wrote:
But, don't mind me..I'll gladly eat the track day fees rather than ride in the rain, possibly wreck and have to spend even more on repairs than the $200ish I lost. I'll be in the camper watching "Smokey and the Bandit". I mean seriously..there ain't much better than Sally Fields in those tight blue jeans. :D
:agree:

Yeah, even if you spend the extra $350+ for the rims, $400+ for the rain tires, go through the trouble of switching out the wheels you are still riding in the rain, a lot of trouble and expense to get wet, racers have to, we don't.

Sally Fields isn't even from your era, lol, man she was cute wasn't she?

fitz

blueninja1;209527 wrote: hey c'mon now, i grew up watching smokey and the bandit most weekends.
BS! You just typed "Smokey @ the Bandit" into www.imdb.com and saw a pic of Sally Fields and rubbed one out to it in an effort to join the club.

You ain't fool'in no one BN ;)

BZ

D-Zum

blueninja1;209471 wrote: lols @ sally field. they cancelled the track day on sunday because of the hurricane so it saves me the headaches. i had pirelli dragon corsas but no tread left on the rears. as of now the bike is sitting on brand new corsas so thankfully i won't be wastin another 600 on wet weather tires.

you comin the 29th?

Yep, sure am.

D-Zum

fitz;209514 wrote: :agree:

Yeah, even if you spend the extra $350+ for the rims, $400+ for the rain tires, go through the trouble of switching out the wheels you are still riding in the rain, a lot of trouble and expense to get wet, racers have to, we don't.

Sally Fields isn't even from your era, lol, man she was cute wasn't she?

fitz
I was about 7 when that movie came out.

And my new F350 Super Duty is black with gold trim. Just need a Firebird on the hood to complete the tribute.

Spitz

D-Zum;209427 wrote: What tires do you have on now?

My 2 cents....leave the tires you have on. You're better off running DOT's with sipes than buying rains. The DOT's will disperse water and grip surprisingly well and will last.

Rains, on the other hand, you will chew the living HELL out of if a wet track day all of a sudden dries.

Rains are also a better wet condition option if you happen to have a second set of wheels available for them. Then, if it conditions change and it does dry, you can swap back to DOT's and continue the day.

Really? Last time I went out on dots the guys with rains were flying past me like i was tied to a pole, not to mention i was in total survival mode the whole time. I bought rains and it didnt rain on me this whole season, go figure. :haha:

some guy #2

I've been on track with DOT's in wet conditions and it is not fun. I've wanted to try rain tires but that's a lot of coin to get wet :)

Spitz

some guy #2;212997 wrote: I've been on track with DOT's in wet conditions and it is not fun. I've wanted to try rain tires but that's a lot of coin to get wet :)

So is sitting in a trailer all day because the track is just a little too wet for dots. I see used rain tires all the time, from 150-200$ that arent "old". Even if you just get the tires and need to mount them on a rain day sure beats sitting around. Should only take one session to get your tires fitted if you KNOW its going to rain all damn day. If you can ride well in the rain it sure makes a dry track a lot more fun to ride on.