RC51 on track??

bblisard

I recently picked up a rc51 project bike. I was going to fix and ride on track. Bike is all fix and in great shape. I've ridden for a few weeks now and not sure about it. Is it a good track bike or am i better off selling it and getting a 600. I've done about 20 track days 2 years ago on cbr600.

RyanITV

Admin
IMHO, it's a fun twin to play with on the track. Makes good power and it's got the whole Honda reliability thing going for it.

BobbyG might pipe in - he's got an RC51 (for sale), but I remember him hauling ass on it around Summit Main last year.

I say try it for a day...

Ryan

LOrtega

Control Rider
DO this take it to the track ride it and then do the demo ride on a yamaha 600.
This will really give you an idea on what the differances are.

I am sure you will get more out of a 600, they are more forgiving and really help you tune your riding abilities

Maryland998

Give the RC a go.

It's difficult for me to be unbiased about twins. But try it on the track and see if you have more fun on it than you did on the CBR. The RC's run well. I pass my friend Tanner on his whenever he makes it out on the track. :) Ken.

EngineNoO9

RC51 ftw!

P1010005.JPG

Though I've spent more money then God to make it handle well and modern 600's are so much lighter and are pesky as hell on the straights. It's fun and I'll continue to track it even when I plan on getting a 750 or 600 in the future. My opinion is run what you brung and just have fun.

Landshark

Control Rider
It's a better track bike than a road bike. If you own it then ride whatcha got. If you have a choice then dump it and get something more current. Still fun though.

rk97

Landshark;6974 wrote: It's a better track bike than a road bike.
really?? I haven't ridden an RC51, but my thinking was that it's best quality would be torque. I'm not one for bike nights and a lot of 2-up riding, but if I ever had the money to blow, an RC51 would be my first choice for rolling in style with the girlfriend on the back :)

They do haul ass at the track. Main disadvantages have already been noted: weight and handling.

Another I might add is that they are not as common as some other bikes, so replacement parts can be hard to come by.

Riding it back-to-back against an R6 would be a fantastic idea. talk about different 'character' between machines!

Glockem

Maryland998;6962 wrote: It's difficult for me to be unbiased about twins. But try it on the track and see if you have more fun on it than you did on the CBR. The RC's run well. I pass my friend Tanner on his whenever he makes it out on the track. :) Ken.
Well heck, scooters pass me, so Ken just b/c you pass me doesn't really mean that much now does it. ;)

RC51 is a great track bike b/c it is solid, great brakes, awesome usable torque, reliable, etc, but it makes you lazy b/c you rely on the torque, and if you are unlucky enough to wreck it on the track they do not wreck well b/c of the side mounted radiators. The bike will not make you a faster rider, it will make you smooth and consistent which is the main goal, but it won't likely teach you the "good stuff" like any 600 will.

Not many people ride them anymore, and you will only occasionally see them at the track, so spare parts at the track will be hard to come by unlike if you were riding a GSXR and there are tons of riders that have spares, etc.

bblisard

thanks for all the quick feedback. i pretty much new the answer i was just looking for other opions. i have the bike on craigslists for sale or trade. if i don't sell it i will still ride every trackday in millville. it's in the blood i have to be there

EngineNoO9

My RC was great at NJMP thunderbolt. Use what you have and have fun with it. You can't win a trackday anyways. Just do what you can and that's it.

1literduceater

I have done both RC and 600. I will say the 600 is WAY easier to ride but DAMN I do miss my RC-51. One of these days I will get one again....hmmmm maybe I need to talk to Bobby???

Engine - is that your old RC or did you buy that bike (cant think of his name) from the guy on the speedzilla forum...think he was from Florida???? :notsure:

Glockem

Hey Chris. I don't know if that is Terry's bike from FL, but that is certainly his race plastics that he used to run.

physicistkev

Control Rider
A more modern bike will be easier to ride. Much easier to ride. The new 600's are built so well and do a great job, an unreal job, with little to no additional parts. But... I think it's fun riding the old stuff around people on the new stuff ;)

EngineNoO9

It's my 2004 RC51 but I got the race glass and tank from him over the winter. My race glass has won Daytona :first:

It's a blast to ride and even though I'm looking at 600 options over the winter I plan on keeping the RC because it's just a blast. I'd like to race it in supertwins as well. It's also fun to see the look on people's faces when this 2002 era pig blows by them. :D

brianRC51_22

I love mine, even on Jefferson. It's smooth, fantastic brakes, and plenty of tq so you don't have to shift like a mad man to get it around the track. It can be a workout to get the bike to turn though, especially with left right transisitions (6-9 at Summit Main).

Motomoon

I shifted the same amount of times on my RC as I do my R6 at every track I ride. I had an RC for 6 years and 22,000 miles. The R6 is hands down easier to ride and set up to do what you want it to do. This is not saying that you can't have fun on the RC but if your souls not sold to the RC and your considering the 600, I don't think your gonna loose out with the 600. The only thing I really miss is the intimidation of coming up on another rider knowing they can feel it in their ear drums LOL. ;) It def didn't sneak up on anyone.

If you have an SP-2 you're a lil bit ahead of what i had in the SP-1. They def felt tighter in the handling department but I never got much time on my SP2 to get fully up to speed on it.

Moon7340.jpg