Rear Shock

domarena33

Track Day Superstar
I have an 06 SV650 with approximately 24,000miles. I don't really have any issues with handling or wear but i can't find anything about when the rear shock "should" be replaced or how to tell it's shot. The shock has probably 2500 track miles on it. For what it's worth im running competitive WERA Novice Superstock times on this bike with an old stock suspension and S22's. I'm also still new to this so I don't know what a "good" suspension setup should feel like. I'm assuming a higher end rear shock will improve tire life and handling. I'd like your thoughts.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Suspension can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be. The problem with most OEM shocks is the lack of adjustability and the tendency to cavitate during hard track use. A lot of stock shocks will be good for 10-15 min but then will start to feel like a pogo stick towards the end of a session. It's also kind of opening a can of worms, because if the stock shock is soft (under sprung), putting a proper race spec shock on it will then magnify how soft the front is...so now you're adjusting the forks to match.

You don't know what you don't know. It all depends what you want to do with the bike. If you're happy with it as is, keep running it. But making changes and tracking what changes you're making is what makes you a more competent rider, and able to distinguish the basics of suspension - this bike is soft in the rear, too hard up front, doesn't want to turn, etc etc.

domarena33

Track Day Superstar
Im hoping to run it at LWT WERA Novice SS next year. I already replaced the front springs with .95kg/mm ones because i was locking the front tire up and it was handling like shit under heavy braking as it was bottomed out. I've never paid attention for a progressive softening of the rear, I'll watch for that next time im out.

bmart

Control Rider
Track day events and race weekends have suspension folks from one or more vendors. It may be worth asking for their opinion(s). I've found what they've had to say invaluable. My experience is that they're honest about what you might need. Some will feel your suspension and make adjustments to get you to/toward optimum for what you have. Thermosman refreshed my stock shock on my old 750 for miniman money and it felt so much better after his changes. Other bikes just need suspension...

This post doesn't answer your question about when the stock shock needs serviced or replaced, but here's my experience and offering a solution.

The stock suspension is hot garbage unless you weigh under 150#, so if you are running good times with it, you'll be blown away when you upgrade. Is your front suspension stock?

If you want to give this setup a try, I'll let it go for $40 shipped. I have been using the ZX14 shock that came on my bike for 6+ years and never got around to swapping it out for this. I don't know the condition of it other than it's clean. I bought it on ebay. The GSXR dog bones from the pictures won't work and take up a lot of shipping space, so I will pull the lower shock bolt off and send it with the shock and aftermarket dog bones.

Here's the SV shock compatibility spreadsheet:

The spreadsheet has been on the internet for well over a decade and idk if it's been updated correctly, but it will give you a good launching point to research shocks.

PatricksDad

I have an 06 SV650 with approximately 24,000miles. I don't really have any issues with handling or wear but i can't find anything about when the rear shock "should" be replaced or how to tell it's shot. The shock has probably 2500 track miles on it. For what it's worth im running competitive WERA Novice Superstock times on this bike with an old stock suspension and S22's. I'm also still new to this so I don't know what a "good" suspension setup should feel like. I'm assuming a higher end rear shock will improve tire life and handling. I'd like your thoughts.
I have a street/track bike with emulators and heavier springs, as well as a Penske shock that's 18mm longer. I have also raised the fork tubes 5mm and now have a pretty solid setup and, with a handlebar conversion, I can ride most all day. I also have a track only bike with GSXR front end and a similar Penske rear setup with a 25 lb heavier spring.

The difference between these 2 setups and stock is immense, and I can't imagine you won't be MUCH faster with even modest upgrades.

Edit to add that I'm also just outside of DC and can show you how I've set my street bike up.

The B Team

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
My sus guy encourages a refresh annually, which is currently between 20 and 40 events per year.

@ZEB-PLM and Dave at Pitlane would be a good place to check...they could give you a more informed point of view from a tech perspective.

Last edited:

tdelegram

Control Rider
twf gsxr valves in stock forks were great on my old sv paired with a Penske double clicker. The sv platform has a ton of used parts floating around now that the newer twins are out. Look around the Wera board and other sv social media places to find good deals on used parts.

domarena33

Track Day Superstar
This post doesn't answer your question about when the stock shock needs serviced or replaced, but here's my experience and offering a solution.

The stock suspension is hot garbage unless you weigh under 150#, so if you are running good times with it, you'll be blown away when you upgrade. Is your front suspension stock?

If you want to give this setup a try, I'll let it go for $40 shipped. I have been using the ZX14 shock that came on my bike for 6+ years and never got around to swapping it out for this. I don't know the condition of it other than it's clean. I bought it on ebay. The GSXR dog bones from the pictures won't work and take up a lot of shipping space, so I will pull the lower shock bolt off and send it with the shock and aftermarket dog bones.

Here's the SV shock compatibility spreadsheet:

The spreadsheet has been on the internet for well over a decade and idk if it's been updated correctly, but it will give you a good launching point to research shocks.
Thank you for the info. I have some stiffer K-tech springs and higher viscosity fork oil upfront just to deal with heavy braking, otherwise, it's stock.