Rearset position

stephenjpauls

Hey all,

I purchased a set of adjustable vortex rear sets at the end of the season last year and am just now going to put them on my bike... The rear sets I had on the bike were set in the same position as the vortex if I put them all the way up and all the way to the rear. Riding was comfortable enough like this for me, but I wanted to find out if there is a “Best” position for them? I figured the higher the better for more ground clearance, but Just wanted to see if anyone had a good reason for me to set it up differently.

Thanks,
Steve

jpj

When I installed the rearsets on my 05' Gixxer, I started with them in the "stock" position as I was starting to drag my toes in some corners. I have since moved them, back a couple of holes , and up 1 position. My friend who owns a 05' Kawa' 636 was dragging his toes about the same time he was getting his knee on the deck. He installed his rearsets up and back from the stock position. All bikes are somewhat different with the placement of the stock controls. I would say place them where the're comfortable for youself and adjust from there.

ceptorman

It's just a trail and error kind of thing. The farther up and back allows for more clearance...which you might need when you get faster. Just play around with the placement until it feels correct...just personal preference

gkotlin

I prefer up and forward. To far back and you have to put to much weight on your arms. You want to keep your weight on your feet. Like a jockey on a horse. So you can move back and forth on the bike.

As stated, it's just trial and error. See what works best for you.

Wink

What, no one is curious how tall you are?

No one cares if you get OFF the bike... or if you stay centered?

Lots of variables here and lots of styles.

FWIW - I am a munchkin (5'7"), and to be honest with you, stock pegs works fine for me (or full up and back). It really makes no difference to me. Now if I was 6'4", I'd have to move the pegs so that my knees could fit in...

danch

If you're who I think you are, back might work better for you (tall and lanky) than Greg (umm, neither ;) ). I'd suspect back and down rather than up, but it's what you're comfortable with, and what works for you. Experiment a bit while you've got some time here, try to find something that fits with the bike on the stand, something that lets you tuck, but leaves enough leverage to move around. Then don't be afraid to change it once you try it out on the track.

Don't worry too much about cornering clearance, if you can move properly it won't be an issue, for a while at least.

snikwad

The video explains it all. Ground clearance may be an issue but there are other ways to address that, and its usualy only a problem as you get faster.

stephenjpauls

danch;38411 wrote: If you're who I think you are, back might work better for you (tall and lanky) than Greg (umm, neither ;) ). I'd suspect back and down rather than up, but it's what you're comfortable with, and what works for you. Experiment a bit while you've got some time here, try to find something that fits with the bike on the stand, something that lets you tuck, but leaves enough leverage to move around. Then don't be afraid to change it once you try it out on the track.

Don't worry too much about cornering clearance, if you can move properly it won't be an issue, for a while at least.
Not sure about lanky (especially after winter), but 6'2" is rather tall. I have been comfortable with the pegs all the way back and up, but I think I'm going to play with it on the bike. I'm going to try putting them forward to see if it makes it takes weight off my hands, however I think I'll have to drop them a notch if I bring them forward so my knees aren't in my chest.

My original question was more around what the "Best" position would be for when I'm fast (10 years from now, if ever?) so I would be getting used to that position. However with the replies and the vid I'm going to try to see what is the most comfortable, but allows me to move my weight around the bike better.

Thanks so much all!