Reducing GoPro video file size

andykurz

Any one have suggestions on software or techniques to reduce video size? One session that I recorded yesterday is 2GB!

Format is MP4, and I'd like to have a reduced version to upload to YouTube

andykurz;246875 wrote: Any one have suggestions on software or techniques to reduce video size? One session that I recorded yesterday is 2GB!

the r1 mode will yield a reduced file size, but it's not HD.

on a mac, using quicktime, you can save a vid file "save for web" and choose how much compression there is.
gl

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
andykurz;246875 wrote: Any one have suggestions on software or techniques to reduce video size? One session that I recorded yesterday is 2GB!

Are you trying to upload it from the middle of Wyoming on dial up? If not, what's the problem? :dunno:

Quality video or small file size...can't have it both!

andykurz

In most cases, I'd like to have the big file. That's why I record in HD. However, a 2GB file is pretty cumbersome to send around, upload to YouTube, etc. I'm looking for an easy way to have the best of both worlds: a big and small version.

I am on a PC, I know that you can reduce file size with Windows Movie Maker, but that software won't open the MP4 that GoPro generates.

Because GoPros are so popular, I was wondering what other folks have tried.

McCGsxr

There are video converters on the internet that you can use to convert the video to a small file.. I have tried a couple in order to use windows movie maker, but I cannot get the video to work once it is converted. I have been told just to use another program to edit my video's. I think a friend is gonna hook me up with Sony Vegas so I can edit these clips i got from VIR S this weekend.

Saltman

andykurz;246891 wrote: In most cases, I'd like to have the big file. That's why I record in HD. However, a 2GB file is pretty cumbersome to send around, upload to YouTube, etc. I'm looking for an easy way to have the best of both worlds: a big and small version.

I am on a PC, I know that you can reduce file size with Windows Movie Maker, but that software won't open the MP4 that GoPro generates.

Because GoPros are so popular, I was wondering what other folks have tried.
you can use "any video converter". its a free download and you can convert it to wmv and then use windows movie maker. but it will take away some of the quality. it wont be the same as the original. but it'll compress it down like you want... maybe to about 600mb. other than that, you can upload to youtube and edit it by trimming the beginning and end but youtube takes a few hours to process it like that. I use to edit all my vids with movie maker but got tired of the bad quality. I now just load the entire vid to youtube and just put the time highlights to skip to in the description. (i.e. 1:30 for first lap)

Another forum guy phone banging.