Regarding noise: two small gens paralleled or one large?

I have a Yamaha EF2000is with thoughts of getting another to be able to power the RV or house. For those who have hooked the small Hondas or Yamahas together is the sound significantly louder?

There was no article I could find on such and didn't want to have to study acoustics articles. The salesperson at WiseSales said it would still be quiet but I could tell she didn't really know.

Reg

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I'm not sure on how the Yamahas are priced, I really only know the Hondas. But, the Honda EU2000s are going for about a grand new. EU3000s are 2 grand. You can spend 2 grand and have a EU3000, or you can spend two grand on two EU2000s and have 4,000 watts of total power. Yes, I understand the numbers are only surge numbers and not the rated normal running watts, but the principle remains the same.

Almost seems like a no brainer to buy two EU2000s and just parrell them together. I have not personally compared a EU3000 against two EU2000s in regards to noise output. I have a hard time believing there would be a significant difference, either way.

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
3000 should be a little quiter due to the lower rpm to make power. Either way the inverter gens from yamaha and honda are pretty quiet either way. The one advantage of the bigger gen is the bigger fuel cell. Less filling

JRA

Dave561;284162 wrote: 3000 should be a little quiter due to the lower rpm to make power. Either way the inverter gens from yamaha and honda are pretty quiet either way. The one advantage of the bigger gen is the bigger fuel cell. Less filling
Plus 30 amp plug and breaker, electric start, and it is significantly quieter due to what Dave said. I know on my 2000 when it's spooled up it's seems pretty loud compared to what I'm use to hearing out of my big generator. Also, you'd still be limited to 20 amps running two EU2000's together.

I have both an EU 2000 and the big EU6500, and I know several people have the EU 3000. All are very nice generators, as are the Yamaha line of inverter generators. If I was weighing these options I'd much rather have a 3000 than two 2000's just for ease of use and function.

Spork

2 Eu2000's @ full blast are still much quieter than most generators at no load idle . I will never get rid of my Honda 2000 as they very handy units ,but one thing they lack is 220v output. The biggest advantage of 2 eu2000 vs a 3000 is weight/maneuverability .

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
JRA;284163 wrote: Plus 30 amp plug and breaker, electric start, and it is significantly quieter due to what Dave said. I know on my 2000 when it's spooled up it's seems pretty loud compared to what I'm use to hearing out of my big generator. Also, you'd still be limited to 20 amps running two EU2000's together.
My EU2000i has a 30amp genny plug on it. I use it all the time using my trailers 30amp cord. Yes, obviously I know without running another generator paired with it I don't get the 30 amp output. Maybe Santa will bring me another EU2000 this year, and I can run warmers AND the A/C! :adore:

Kruizen

Control Rider
I am running 2 yamha 2000's in parallel. John(Otto) how loud were they at beaver?

Have no problems running ac/warmers/coffee maker etc, think thry actually put out about 25amps.

Like the portability, can split them up later if needed, can run 1 genny for dry camping when min power is needed.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Kruizen;284172 wrote: I am running 2 yamha 2000's in parallel. John(Otto) how loud were they at beaver?

Have no problems running ac/warmers/coffee maker etc, think thry actually put out about 25amps.

Like the portability, can split them up later if needed, can run 1 genny for dry camping when min power is needed.
Hardly noticeable. It's always nice having a pit neighbor with a quiet genny. :adore:

Otto Man;284174 wrote: Hardly noticeable. It's always nice having a pit neighbor with a quiet genny. :adore:
Or two? Agreed, thus my post. Just don't want to buy another 2k Yamaha and regret it in the paddock.

If money were no object I'd go with a larger Yamaha but for

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
afinepoint;284186 wrote: Or two? Agreed, thus my post. Just don't want to buy another 2k Yamaha and regret it in the paddock.

If money were no object I'd go with a larger Yamaha but for

Kruizen

Control Rider
yeah I was running 2 Yamahas in parallel at beaver. No problem with AC, warmers etc running all at once.

Otto your Honda was nice and quiet also. THXS

Sig

JRA;284163 wrote: Plus 30 amp plug and breaker, electric start, and it is significantly quieter due to what Dave said. I know on my 2000 when it's spooled up it's seems pretty loud compared to what I'm use to hearing out of my big generator. Also, you'd still be limited to 20 amps running two EU2000's together.

I have both an EU 2000 and the big EU6500, and I know several people have the EU 3000. All are very nice generators, as are the Yamaha line of inverter generators. If I was weighing these options I'd much rather have a 3000 than two 2000's just for ease of use and function.
One thing i really dig about the EU2000 is ease of portability. My brother in law steals mine all the time to run HAM radio stuff where lugging an EU3000 would be highly impractical.

Also, you can run 30amp in parallel but it will require one of these:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200333654_200333654?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Generators-_-Generator%20Accessories-_-100174&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=100174&gclid=CKfwroPlgLkCFUqk4AodzEoAjw

JRA is right though, an EU2000 a full tilt can seem "loud" compared to the same load on a bigger gen.