Regular Pilot Powers

bayboy

Will be doin my first trackday this thursday and just lookin for some advice. I'll be on a 2004 ZX-10r and consider myself to be on an intermediate pace.

Will my pilot powers hold up and what tire pressure should I be runnin? I weigh about 210-215 fully suited up.

Thanks in advance.............

Pilot powers work great for trackdays. I used them until I got to A group. I ran them at 32 psi cold. They will get a little greasy when it's hot out.

If this is your first trackday, what are you basing your ability to ride at an intermediate pace on? :D :popcorn:

bayboy

beechkingd;5817 wrote: Pilot powers work great for trackdays. I used them until I got to A group. I ran them at 32 psi cold. They will get a little greasy when it's hot out.

If this is your first trackday, what are you basing your ability to ride at an intermediate pace on? :D :popcorn:
Everyone I ride with is in either intermediate or advanced and i have no problem keeping up with them in any situation. With the added road surface at the track i figure I should do just as well once I am shown the proper lines.

What bike were you runnin when you were using the pilots?

P.S. I always did like that popcorn smiley.................... lol

speedfree

I ran PP's in Intermediate all last season on my big heavy Triumph. I'd start w/30 psi cold, rather than 32. I would usually look for 35-36psi hot in both.
FYI - the 2CT's may have a hair more grip, except when track temps are really high, but IMHO they wear out entirely too fast, and are more suited for street bikes which only rarely hit the twisties.

rk97

I run my PPs 29/30 cold. 30/30 is a good place to start, and feel your way around. i would rather start a little too low than a little too high.

for a first TD, you should be fine on the 'regular' PP. the 2CT version offers a little more grip, and is what I would change to next time out if you want to stick with Michelins. see chart below. I haven't heard wear complaints about the 2CT, but i'm also riding a bike with half the power of your ZX10 :)

pilotchartsm.jpg

I know for a fact that other liter bikes have run PPs at "I" pace, so no worries there. Good luck in "I" group.

PJZOCC624

Big fan of the PPs. I ran them on my 1000RR for 2 years at a solid "I" pace before going to the 2CT version. I ran 30 rear, 28 front on a warm day, and 28/26, even 25 on the front on a cold day. Their wet grip is AWESOME and I always felt they had a predictable slide (wet or dry) as the day went on. Just make sure you havent developed a flat spot on the rear. The liter bikes tend to do that, especially if you're coming off the street. Check it visually from behind, and if they're seems to be a flat spot, go ahead and replace it. It will affect your turn-in, esp. a 190 rear. Other than that, let 'er rip!

Jump1979man

I have ran PP for two trackdays now and they still look great. I am not on a liter bike though.

Just yesterday it was 100 degrees out at MAM and they worked great! No worries here about there ability to grip or last for several days!

rk97

bayboy;5811 wrote: Will be doin my first trackday this thursday and just lookin for some advice. I'll be on a 2004 ZX-10r and consider myself to be on an intermediate pace.
so how'd it go? tires hold up ok?

bayboy

rk97;7342 wrote: so how'd it go? tires hold up ok?
THEY SUCKED BUTT!!!! They got greasey, even with the proper pressure setting. Not to mention, I wasn't ready for the surface condition on turns 1, 5 and 7. Along with a few other conditions that were workin against me, the tires just didn't instill confidence at all. But I had a great time though. lol:D
t7me9.jpg

PJZOCC624

Sorry to hear that! I am curious though...

What track were you at? What other factors were working against you? I'd be interested to know how many miles you had on the tires before hitting the track. I'd like to see you figure out all the other things that may have caused you difficulties with your confidence level. You don't want to blame tires for issues on the track that may not necessarily be tire issues. Otherwise, you'll buy a new set of Pirellis/Dunlops/etc... and find out you're still having difficulties. That would be frustrating...

Good luck and welcome to group!

bayboy

PJZOCC17;7435 wrote: Sorry to hear that! I am curious though...

What track were you at? What other factors were working against you? I'd be interested to know how many miles you had on the tires before hitting the track. I'd like to see you figure out all the other things that may have caused you difficulties with your confidence level. You don't want to blame tires for issues on the track that may not necessarily be tire issues. Otherwise, you'll buy a new set of Pirellis/Dunlops/etc... and find out you're still having difficulties. That would be frustrating...

Well let's see....................................

Summit Main was the location of the travisty LOL

And my issues were:
I was experimenting with new gearing(1 down in the front), which.................................. I HATE BY THE WAY!!!!!!

My suspension was setup the day before(felt very good, but was not suited for the bumpy surfaces at T1, T5 and T7.

Not realizing how technical you have to be to use a 1000 effectively on a circuit track.

Oh and as per the Michelin rep that was there the tires I have are the OEM Pilot Powers and are know for getting greasey after a heat cycle or two.

But................................ I HAD FUN DAMNIT!!!!!!!!:D

PJZOCC624

bayboy;7446 wrote:

And at the end of the day, that's what matters!

Well hit up one of the NESBA vendors and get yerself some DCIIIs before your next TD... then you can give a comaparo afterwards! Maybe someone can convince me off the PPs!

bayboy

PJZOCC17;7435 wrote: Sorry to hear that! I am curious though...

Well let's see....................................

Summit Main was the location of the travisty LOL

And my issues were:
I was experimenting with new gearing(1 down in the front), which.................................. I HATE BY THE WAY!!!!!!

My suspension was setup the day before(felt very good, but was not suited for the bumpy surfaces at T1, T5 and T7.

Not realizing how technical you have to be to use a 1000 effectively on a circuit track.

Oh and as per the Michelin rep that was there the tires I have are the OEM Pilot Powers and are know for getting greasey after a heat cycle or two.