Removing rattle-can paint from wind-screen

rk97

Any tips on getting paint off a wind screen without damaging it too badly?

it's "only" rattle-can, so it's sort of started removing itself in some places. Can I just get a rag and take some thinner or brush-cleaner to it?

Mikey75702

I was thinking of suggesting some thinner or acetone, but not sure how it would react to the plastic. I think acetone would be the better of the 2.

matt2212

acetone will eat the lexan, maby sand then wet sand then cut with a rubbing compound. may be a little foggy but if you went to wet 2000 grit before the rubbing coumpound it might be ok

or just get a new one

rk97

I'm trying to get the paint off to sell this one. Already have a "new" one in the garage.

it's just the bottom 4-5" of the screen, so I suppose I could probably paint it flat-black and buyers wouldn't mind too much. It doesn't affect visibility at all; I just don't think the market for a wind-screen with an orange bottom is very large :p

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Keep it as a spare. Anything that will take the paint off will probably hurt the clarity of the screen

rk97

slow_honda;177530 wrote: Keep it as a spare. Anything that will take the paint off will probably hurt the clarity of the screen
yeah, that's probably smarter than I was figuring. In my haste to make the bike comply with SuperStock rules, I'm overlooking the fact that, 1) I still plan to do a lot of trackdays, and 2) not every race is a SS race...