removing sticker residue

01wj

does anyone have any tips from removing sticker residue from a set of bodywork? I picked up a set of armour bodies on a good deal for my R6 since I destroyed my sharkskinz, but the last guy had Bridgestone stickers all over it and I don't use Bridgestone tires and I can't have the stickers on there if I want go for Dunlop contingency. I peeled them off, but they left areas of "glue" on the plastic.

Any ideas?

Meat

Just be careful with the WD-40. If it gets into your fiberglass, through a crack in the paint, etc, you may not get your pain to stick in that location when you repaint. (This info was paraphrased from info from Andrew Swenson)

Ruhe52

Prepsol from any auto parts store. Removes all residue. Great for getting track marks from rubber etc off as well and a great surface prep before application of new stickers.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I find the old school Honda Polish and Cleaner works pretty well. It's great at cleaning grease and chain lube fling from the wheels, too. The new formula doesn't work as well, but the old formulation is now sold as "Original Bike Spirits Spray Cleaner and Polish".

Meat

Nashoba;256709 wrote: 3M Adhesive Remover. Autoparts stores.
Be careful with that stuff. It is great stuff but can destroy a stock windscreen and can take off paint as well.

It did both when I got my new-to-me R6 this year.

some guy #2

Goo gone works but takes some effort. If you can find a way to soak the the area in the stuff it works wonders. I was able to get off really old wheel weight residue but had to pour it on the area and find a way to contain the liquid so it stayed there over night.

ERB68

Brake clean on a rag.

I clean off the old wheel weight sticky tape all the time. I sometimes wipe the bike down with it too.

Meat;256734 wrote: Be careful with that stuff. It is great stuff but can destroy a stock windscreen and can take off paint as well.

It did both when I got my new-to-me R6 this year.
Goo gone is a no-no around plastic. Completely boogered my windscreen. The citrus products are good. careful with the brak-kleen. some of the newer formulations are REAL nasty on paint, according to the V4 forum I frequent.

DFlowe

Coleman fuel is what I use. I keep a gallon around at all times just for this purpose. Just be sure to store it outside.