Reverse Rotating Rotors?!?!

Burnall4

I did a search to see if this topic has been brought up before and come up with nothing.

But as I was researching leather suits, I stumbled upon this concept. Has anyone heard about it?

Reverse Rotating Rotors.

http://www.reverserotatingrotors.com/index.html

The idea/concept seems to be pretty ingenious, wonder if it will ever see mass production for the aftermarket?

:popcorn:

pefrey

They have been testing for a year or two now. Mass production will happen when cost / benefit is realized and they have them for more than one make of bike. I also don't think this will be a bolt on addition. You will have to buy a whole front wheel. Then how are you going to match your rear wheel? So IMO you see these on a production bike before you see them as an aftermarket item.

riddler

pefrey;51299 said:
Mass production will happen when cost / benefit is realized. QUOTE]

Like just after hell freezes over.

Pretty funny though... I especially like that he invented the theory of Dynamic Equilibrium.

rk97

riddler;51310 wrote:
pefrey;51299 said:
I especially like that he invented the theory of Dynamic Equilibrium.
Invented, patented - whatever :p It's an amazing idea, and really pretty simple. Appears to be just a planetary gearset holding the rotors.

I have to believe teh factory teams would be beating downthis guy's door if tehy thought there was potential benefit. Maybe they are.

I think it'll come down to the question of whether or not the benefits are worth the additional unsprung weight of the planetary gearset and housing. I'd at least like to hear more.

Burnall4

if you have a forged mag wheel with that in the middle of it, wouldn't the weight kinda even out to the weight of a stock wheel?

I am sure if it ever gets to be a popular concept they will find a way to cut the weight of the gearset/housing down.

physicistkev

Control Rider
I will reserve judgment until I can get a better understanding of how it works and what specific claims are being made. So far, I'm not convinced. I get the gist of what he is doing but, I really question the projected outcome. At the moment I put this up there with the claim of adding acetone to fuel will get you 70mpg.

dlockhart5x

Sam Flemming of AOD wrote a article for RRW a year or two ago and included just enough nerd speak to make it enjoyable. Short version is they worked - caveat- there are a lot of other issues when manufacturing brake systems.

Interesting note. The gear ratio could be adjusted to get the desired gyroscopic cancellation. It also worked as multiplier for the braking force.

Lots of interesting possiblities.

riddler

I wrote this whole long post to explain the flaws of this concept... but I logged in twice in 2 different tabs and somehow lost it. It's too late to write it again.

This is how it ended:
No increase in steering input relative to speed and increased stability... you can't have your cake and eat it too. It will be inherently more stable, but you can get your stability from something that won't add rotating mass (steering geometry, dampers, etc).

PS - Gyroscopes are cool.

physicistkev

Control Rider
So, the thought is that this will add stability without taking away steering input? Because of a gyroscopic effect of the counter rotating gearing system?

I think there is one point that is being missed. It's part of what Riddler is saying above. At best, you can cancel the gyroscopic effect of the front wheel, with a counter rotating mass within the front wheel. I can understand that. The problem is you can't counteract the bikes geometrys affect on steering through adding a counter rotating mass to the front wheel. So you cancel the front wheels rotating effect. Big deal, that's not a huge impact on the overall steering ability of the bike.

In a hurry, will revise in a bit.

jsin38

Makes a man's head hurt. Where are the days when Ducati thought that 4 valves per cylinder was state of the art?