Ribbing at Blackhawk Turn 1

UUarX

I'm a little curious about the purpose of the ribbing. If you don't know what I'm talking about, about 5 feet from the inside of turn 1 at blackhawk, there is rather large and deep ribbing that runs along even with the track edge (it's maybe 20 feet long or so, maybe more, maybe less). What is the purpose of this ribbing? I'm assuming it's there intentionally.

I'm curious because during one of my first sessions it scared me a bit when I went a little wider than I had expected and ran over it.

geekmug

UUarX;199563 wrote: What is the purpose of this ribbing? I'm assuming it's there intentionally.

I'm curious because during one of my first sessions it scared me a bit when I went a little wider than I had expected and ran over it.
To teach us not to go wide... :D

The "ribbing" is almost exactly as far as way from the apex as a typical car's wheelbase is wide.. no coincidence. Cars load up the outside wheels during a corner and plow the pavement. The ribbing comes from the suspension oscillating and is unfortunately a compounding effect -- the more it is "ribbed", the deeper the ribs will get. One of the joys of sharing tracks with cars.

UUarX

trackturn1.png

Here's an example of what I'm trying to describe. Warning! this mspaint drawing may not be to scale.

justintime_3

Its usually caused by the cars on the track pushing the asphault up in those areas. Being the fastest line through the turn for cars.

UUarX

geekmug;199567 wrote: To teach us not to go wide... :D

The "ribbing" is almost exactly as far as way from the apex as a typical car's wheelbase is wide.. no coincidence. Cars load up the outside wheels during a corner and plow the pavement. The ribbing comes from the suspension oscillating and is unfortunately a compounding effect -- the more it is "ribbed", the deeper the ribs will get. One of the joys of sharing tracks with cars.
Ahh that makes sense. I guess I have no business riding on it hah

j_fuggin_t

riding on it at a decent pace typically ends in a crash, you have very similar but not as bad in turn 7, they are two problem area's i'd like to see fixed

stkr

Nice MS Paint skills there. :cool: It's from the cars like said above. Just avoid it if possible. If you find yourself coming in too hot, and you're thinking about crossing it, or riding on it, to make the turn, then your better option is to simply brake just a bit longer/deeper and use the "ribbing" as your new apex reference. You'll be riding just to the outside of the ribbing, but your speed will be reduced, so you should be fine.

Next time around, make a plan to not get in that same situation. :D

eE jeremy

yup if possible ride inside or outside the ribbing, I've crossed it plenty of times at speed, which can be a bit scary but usually you'll make it ok. Unless you do like Jim and wait for them to fill up with water then try it lol.

UUarX

stkr;199582 wrote: Nice MS Paint skills there. :cool: It's from the cars like said above. Just avoid it if possible. If you find yourself coming in too hot, and you're thinking about crossing it, or riding on it, to make the turn, then your better option is to simply brake just a bit longer/deeper and use the "ribbing" as your new apex reference. You'll be riding just to the outside of the ribbing, but your speed will be reduced, so you should be fine.

I didn't notice it until the lap when I ended up riding over it, I've definitely got to take care to pick up on reference points like those ribs in the future!

Are track walks allowed during lunch? or in the morning before tech? I imagine a track walk would be pretty useful for making sure we all pick up on dangers like those.

eE jeremy

I've seen people out jogging or riding bikes at lunch so I don't see why not... Sometimes in the morning they brush or dry the track though so if they are out working on it stay off. When it doubt ask the guy on the 4 wheeler if you can go out.

stkr

eE jeremy;199585 wrote: Unless you do like Jim and wait for them to fill up with water then try it lol.
Smart-ass!

I was on a new bike, with new to me GP shift, and was too busy running my blazing hot laps to worry about a little water ;)

Of course, I finally figured out this weekend that I pulled a groin muscle during the slide and it's not quite healed yet. Crashing sucks even when it seems like a minor one. My right adductor (inner thigh) locked up as Sunday progressed and I couldn't get off the bike at all the last session. I had to quit early. At least it waited until after lunch.

greeny

at blackhawk, feel free to check out the track surface whenever there aren't bikes on track. it's one of the perks of a small, friendly facility.

Dug2

stkr;199582 wrote: Nice MS Paint skills there. :cool: It's from the cars like said above. Just avoid it if possible. If you find yourself coming in too hot, and you're thinking about crossing it, or riding on it, to make the turn, then your better option is to simply brake just a bit longer/deeper and use the "ribbing" as your new apex reference. You'll be riding just to the outside of the ribbing, but your speed will be reduced, so you should be fine.

^ this

Kim

greeny;199671 wrote: at blackhawk, feel free to check out the track surface whenever there aren't bikes on track. it's one of the perks of a small, friendly facility.
This. I usually do a track walk (or at least a half track walk) with the dogs on Saturday evening and Sunday morning of the 2-day events. Nobody's ever given me a hard time about it.

clandestiny

Dont they do a Track walk the night before the event for all the early arrivals? I could have swore I saw them doing something like that the friday before last labor day weekend.

gkotlin

We don't do an official track walk. But we can organize one for the next time out. It's a great way to learn. Find me next time and I can explain why a track walk is beneficial, what you're looking for, where to look.

I like to do my track walks backwards when I get to a new track. It's all about the exits. Walk it backwards, figure out the plan. Walk it forwards to learn the flow. Go out next morning and haul butt! Worked well for us at Mid-Ohio last year.