Richmond VA area track day riders?

warregl

Hello all,

I am interested in meeting some track day riders in the Richmond area. I am planning on taking my bike down to VIR (or possibly other nearby tracks) this year and it would be great to meet like minded people.

A bit of history on me and my riding: I’m 42 and started riding again (after an extended break) two years ago. I took the MSF class and realized it was nowhere near what I needed so I signed up for California Superbike School. I took levels 1 & 2 last year and discovered that I really enjoyed the track (big surprise right?). I am planning on levels 3 & 4 this May at VIR.

I would love to meet some of the folks that frequent area track days (if they can tolerate a rookie) and maybe learn a thing or two from them (if they are inclined to share their wisdom).

Many thanks and ride safe!

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
Short Pump here.....i do some trackdays...occasionally....pending weather......and which CR's will be there

warregl

Thanks folks. After looking over the forum there seems to be a ton of helpful information (esp for a track noob like me). The main reason I posted this in January (aside form looking for anything to calm my motorcycle craving when it's too cold to ride) is so I would have the time to learn as much as I could. If there is anything you guy's can recommend I'm all ears (so to speak).

And if anyone in the area wants to get together for a cup of coffee or a beer to talk motorcycles I'm game for that as well.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Once the new Riders' Manual comes out (it'll be on this site), read through that. It'll tell you all you need to know about gear and bike prep requirements. Otherwise, fire away with the questions!

warregl

I've read the current manual but didn't know there was a revision coming. I'll keep an eye out for that. Thanks for the heads up!

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
lemondrop;168368 wrote: Short Pump here.....i do some trackdays...occasionally....pending weather......and which CR's will be there
Just a teeny tiny bit understated.... :D

Anyway....now is the time to prepare your body physically for the demands of track day riding. The better your overall level of conditioning, the more you can focus on your riding instead of fighting through exhaustion to try to focus.

Running, bicycling, zumba, spin class, walking..whatever you enjoy..now's the time to commit to making it a fun habit.

When you're at VIR Full in July and you skip the last two sessions because you're exhausted...it's too late.

Side benefit..all of a sudden your doctor's happy because you are suddenly healthier when you come to see him. :D

BigHeavy

We are from the Hamton Roads area and there are about 15-20 riders. With that kinda number, we generally have a few going to a TD at any given weekend. PM me if you are interested. We started a FB group.

joeyb

Southside in the house.....I'm confused though are we in the Mid-Atlantic or Southeast???

Ummm yeah Lemondrop, D-Zum + Zumba = :haha:

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
lemondrop;170798 wrote: things to place on my bucket-list....

#53 See D-Zum Zumba:wow:
:eek: Count me in! :D

Good tips about conditioning, though. Track riding is much more physically demanding than street riding. I work out 5 days a week year-round. Lifting and 1/2 hour of cardio. Bike, treadmill, elliptical, or rower. No zumba class for me. No one needs to see that! :p

Rydell

Libbie and Broad here. We got a good amount of riders here in Richmond. Been trying to get a Quaker Steak and Lube group together for awhile now but having some scheduling conflicts.

Most thurs nights I'm pooped. I work 4-10 schedule, 5am to 3:30. maybe when the days get longer I'll have more energy. I'll be down at Poes Sunday after next though.

HondaGalToo;170813 wrote: :eek: Count me in! :D

Good tips about conditioning, though. Track riding is much more physically demanding than street riding. I work out 5 days a week year-round. Lifting and 1/2 hour of cardio. Bike, treadmill, elliptical, or rower.
Sigh, you put me to shame Judy. Forty minutes of elliptical tomorrow. I promise.

Reg

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
afinepoint;170970 wrote: Sigh, you put me to shame Judy. Forty minutes of elliptical tomorrow. I promise.

Reg
LOL! It'll be good for you, and if you keep up with it, you'll be really happy with improvements in your stamina and endurance during riding season. Unless it's 100 degrees out, I can ride every session during a 2 or 3 day event.

warregl

Rydell;170837 wrote: Libbie and Broad here. We got a good amount of riders here in Richmond. Been trying to get a Quaker Steak and Lube group together for awhile now but having some scheduling conflicts.
Let me know, I'd love to stop by and meet a few folks (and make an opinion on the wings :D).

If I organize a ride to circle Richmond, would anyone be interested? Supposed to be nice weather this weekend, so I'm hoping to get some seat time Sunday morning and end up at Poes for the buffet.