Ride like Rossi in just 10 steps

BLARNEY

Well said....

Until you are well advanced and fully at pace, forget the rear brake on the track.

But here is a habit...

Use the rear brake in the pits.

Why ?

To keep it pumped up and the rotor clean in case you need it.

When would you need it ?

If you leave the racing surface, you probably want to use the rear brake.

Wheelie control ( also mentioned in video - launch section ) There are certain
corners you drive off that the front end *really* wants to come up out of..... instead
of breathing the throttle.... you can also use a touch of rear brake for wheelie control.

Once fully up to speed and practiced on a dirt-bike, you can think about backin 'er in.

Tom

snikwad

jimgl3;24586 wrote: if you want to see some real skills go to youtoob and search Mitchell Pierce backin it in! and Mitchell Pierce Sidewayz! :D
i finally watched this, and while it looks pretty theyre all seemingly slower around that corner than they need to be because theyre too busy looking pretty.

it what track is that, it look like a damn public road without the cars. mad walls and barriers and BS i the run offs.

fuk that.

RyanITV

Admin
mugenej8power;24804 wrote: Gonna have to remember these steps on the 9th. I have a question on braking. Should you use the front brake while the bike and straight up and then switch to the rear brake right before the turn in to prevent the front from slipping out on you? I really never used the rear brake much on my first trackday, and just need a better understanding on the issue. I know all braking should be done before cornering.
Starting out, stay off the rear brake unless you run off and the bike is straight up and down.

So yes - just use the front brake, only while the bike is straight up and down and before you turn in. As your skills progress, you may find yourself trailbraking - continuing to brake up to the apex to set your speed or get the bike to turn quicker... but that's a skill that comes gradually and when you're ready.

Even now, I only use the rear brake to bring the front of the bike down when it wheelies really bad. A quick bit of light pressure on the rear brake will stop a power wheelie from getting out of control and allows me to get the front back on the ground to turn the bike.

Hope this helps!

Ryan

RyanITV;32649 wrote: Starting out, stay off the rear brake unless you run off and the bike is straight up and down.

So yes - just use the front brake, only while the bike is straight up and down and before you turn in. As your skills progress, you may find yourself trailbraking - continuing to brake up to the apex to set your speed or get the bike to turn quicker... but that's a skill that comes gradually and when you're ready.

Even now, I only use the rear brake to bring the front of the bike down when it wheelies really bad. A quick bit of light pressure on the rear brake will stop a power wheelie from getting out of control and allows me to get the front back on the ground to turn the bike.

Hope this helps!

Ryan
Ryan, I've got a tire question for you.

Where are you in DE?

Dan

snikwad

if you watch the video rossi is off the rear brake right about where he tips in, hes on the front brake longer, tho.
the thing about backing it in, is it really isnt the fastest way around a corner, it just looks pretty.

you check out anyone backing it in all the way to the apex, or close to it, theyre line is was off. as rossi said, it helps turn the bike quicker, but he never mentioned it being necessarily quicker around the corner.

i think this is another reason why the 800 GP bikes are killing the 990 GP bikes corner speed records.

Matt H;32699 wrote: That sounds more like a stalker question than a tire question.....

:D
Feeling left out Matt? I can stalk you too:eek:

Actually I kept the message to Ryan short becasue I didn't want to post another long ass winded tire question on the board. Ryan said some things in another post and I have further questions for him.

No stalking here! LOL

Dan