Riding Areas Around Columbia, SC for Kids

JGardy_781

All - I'm visiting my in-laws in Irmo next week, and I'm looking for some places within an hour or so to bring my son to ride while we're down there on Tuesday and/or Wednesday. I've done some research, and come up with the following places about an hour away from Columbia -

- Enoree OHV Trail
- TNT Motosports Park
- Carolina Adventure World

Anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with those listed, or others? I'm looking to take a little guy on a CRF50 with center-mount training wheels (so need reasonably non-technical, pretty flat trails to keep him from high-centering the bike).

Right now, Enoree looks like my first choice, mostly because it's described as rolling, with reasonably wide trails; TNT has specific areas listed as being for beginner kids, but it's a bit far (more than an hour), and CAW looks decent, and I'm waiting for a response from them if they think their "easy" trails are passable by my son's bike.

Any opinions or advice are greatly appreciated...

Jason

justariot66

Actually have tremendous intenttions of getting to carolina Adventure world thursday (may get pushed to friday) But I will post up when I get back.
My son is in the same position as yours so I will be scouting out for flat and wide.

Dave #66

JGardy_781

FYI - I asked CAW this:

My family and I are going to be visiting my in-laws in Irmo next week, and I was looking for somewhere to bring my son to ride, and came across your web site. I read your FAQ, and reviewed your trail maps, and my question is to whether or not you have trail(s), riding areas, etc. suitable for a beginning child rider on a CRF50 with a set of center-mount training wheels attached - something reasonably flat (i.e. - no steep hill climbs), not overly rocky, rutted or technical. He rides a lot in open fields fields and the like, and wanted to bring him somewhere he'd be able to do some trail riding as an absolute beginner... The descriptions of the green trails sound like they're appropriate, but I wanted to get an opinion if you'd think they'd be passable on his bike...

And got this back:

Jason---based on what I’ve seen from similar units here---you are limited on level trails. Our parking area and some of the closest service roads would be your best bet.
Our green trails would NOT be ok for a unit with training wheels.
I hope to see you soon!!!! Joe

E-mailed TNT, asking basically the same thing and got this:

Jason,

Many children with training wheels enjoy the Kid's Track and the First Trail Loop. I usually advise parents to ride the Pathfinder Trail themselves to make a decision if their child can or can't ride the trail. That is impossible for me to say by email. That said, I feel he should have a good time at TNT.

If I bring bikes down, I might look at TNT considering the above, in the absence of any better thoughts...

Jason

zangman

I've ridden at TNT. Great place with a LOT of different types of riding, from the begineer areas, which are like two small tracks with very easy jumps, or ride overs. The trails are ok for about any level. There are three different sections of trails. One is a bit hilly, but more sandy than anything. If you do go down on the trail it is usually because the front washed out. I've done it many times.

Hope this helps.

JGardy_781

zangman;69365 wrote: I've ridden at TNT. Great place with a LOT of different types of riding, from the begineer areas, which are like two small tracks with very easy jumps, or ride overs. The trails are ok for about any level. There are three different sections of trails. One is a bit hilly, but more sandy than anything. If you do go down on the trail it is usually because the front washed out. I've done it many times.

Hope this helps.
Awesome - thanks man...

Jason

1ghiaman

I have been to CAW and the trails seem more geared to 4 wheelers. Deep ruts and everything. I dont think a 50 with training wheels will go more than around the parking lot. Now it may have changed since I was there last year though...

Duramtown is in Georgia off of I-20 about 1.5 hours from Columbia. That place is WAY geared towards motorcycles big and small. It's worth the drive IMO.

I have been wanting to try TNT myslef.

Mr. Blindrider

I agree with Al. CAW has some deep rutts and I do mean deep. Unless you have a lifted 4x4 4wheeler I wouldn't go. Durhamtown is the place for all. I can't wait for my boys to go with me.

justariot66

Unless something comes up I will be heading to TNT tomorrow morning hopefully arriving around noon. Taking my 2 oldest boys with me so they can get some hours on the crf 50. Should be fun I am just now begining to look at a new bike for my son since they will probably not want to share for very long.

Dave #66

JGardy_781

Al & Ken -

Thanks for posting up. The Durhamtown place looks to be awesome - a few trails targeted at the kids (with age limits...) - looks like it might be a winner...

Thanks again...
Jason

Mr. Blindrider

JGardy_781;70133 wrote: Al & Ken -

Thanks for posting up. The Durhamtown place looks to be awesome - a few trails targeted at the kids (with age limits...) - looks like it might be a winner...

Thanks again...
Jason
Let us know how it goes. You can't go wrong with Durhamtown.

speedfree

maybe a bit late to the party, but feel the need to weigh in - Enoree ORV is perfectly adequate for beginner riders. I took my 4-yo out yesterday on his PW50, and he had a ball! The first & second loops are very rolling & nontechnical. The third loop "across the road" has some more difficult ups & downs, and a few soft sandy sections which gave him a little trouble, but all in all, we had a blast riding at 5-8 mph all day. He must've turned 20 miles, which is a LONG way on a PW50!