Riding shorts

RADAR Magnet

Sep 27, 2010
Hey guys, I'm new to track days and NESBA. Really liking it and looking to continue developing skills and building up my collection of gear. On that note, I'd be interested in your thoughts on armored shorts. I've seen some from A* and Bohn but thought I'd see what more experienced riders think about them generally. Are they a nice idea but too bulky? Do they interfere with back protectors? Thanks in advance.

upnadam

Jan 9, 2009
I just recently purchased and started using the Bohn shorts. I wear Forcefield chest and back protectors and had no issues with interference. Initially the shorts do feel a bit different but as soon as I got out on the track in the for the first time I quickly forgot about them. I'd say if there is room for them in your suit a little extra padding is always a good thing.

noobinacan

May 8, 2009
I use the dainese shorts.
its great...saved me last off for sure.
also has better armor protection than others I think.
vents really well and fit is perfect inside the suit.

51t-HxZZBXL._SS500_.jpg

I had a* but those felt uncomfortable inside the suit and I felt like my movement was affected. Also I was sweating a lot more in a*
The material bites into your skin.

7-FITTY

Apr 1, 2009
+1 on the Bohn I been using them about a year only complaint is the stitching quality is poor and it makes my but look big:D No issues with a back protector
You can NEVER have too much insurance!

mattf

Jun 3, 2009
I need a set.

Oddly tho. I highsided at some decent speed at NJMP early this summer and I spent some quality time testing my leathers, gloves, boots, helmet.....I beat them all to hell. Knocked out cold, concussion, sprained ankle, some twisted tendons in my left hand and left foot (both of which still hurt!)......but somehow, I didn't get a single scratch or bruise and for all the tumbling that I did, my ass/thighs came out without so much as feeling beat up despite not having armored shorts. Strange.

Zippy

Jul 12, 2008
I just got a pair of the Bohn Adventure shorts, and tried them during my last weekend at Blackhawk. They seemed a bit bulky as I put the leathers on, but once in motion, I forgot all about them. I wear Komodo leathers, which already have hip armor, including a harder plastic piece as the outermost layer. I left that in while I tried out the new shorts. It worked fine.

The Bohn shorts also have a nice tailbone protector. I wear an old Knox Race back protector, which also offers tailbone coverage. I left the protector in the shorts. They did not interfere with one another, and it seems like a good combination.

I'm glad I finally looked into it and did something to raise my level of protection. Not much downside to it, so I'll be wearing all of it from now on.

sheepofblue

Aug 26, 2008
I don't run those but do ride in Under Armor heat gear pants. All padding aside consider pants as they slide easier against the suit liner making life nicer.

treker8098

Mar 17, 2010
I know several who have the Bohn Adventure shorts. One person high sided with them and feel they saved his hip. A Bohn sales person said the Adventure short was better than the other short which is made over seas.

RADAR Magnet

Sep 27, 2010
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the feedback. The t-pros look nice with the CE rated armor but they are $$$ and the Bohns seem to have passed a number of real-life crash tests. Hopefully I'll never need them but will be ready if so!

S3aturnR

Jul 13, 2008
i have the bohn shorts and i totally forget about them once i get on the bike. i'm currently using a knox vest with a back and chest protector and it doesn't interfere at all.

one of the reasons i initially got the shorts is because my a* rc-1 2-piece suit is made for someone with a "pear" body. i have no chest and no butt and the jacket was tight and the pants were loose. these helped...

s3aturnr

Dunham

Jul 15, 2008
I wear the T-Pro shorts and I have crash tested them. They definitely helped. They are comfortable and I need the extra bulk to help fill out my leathers.

jfeagin

Jul 15, 2008
Good thread. I have a Psycleskin suit and Under Armour that I use, generally, but would have liked some padding yesterday when I fell off at Beaver. Just a low side, but I tumbled a bit, too. I wonder if any of these shorts would do well over the other stuff or if that would be too much. Don't need any help filling out my leathers, unfortunately.

noobinacan

May 8, 2009
mattf;153014 wrote: I need a set.

Oddly tho. I highsided at some decent speed at NJMP early this summer and I spent some quality time testing my leathers, gloves, boots, helmet.....I beat them all to hell. Knocked out cold, concussion, sprained ankle, some twisted tendons in my left hand and left foot (both of which still hurt!)......but somehow, I didn't get a single scratch or bruise and for all the tumbling that I did, my ass/thighs came out without so much as feeling beat up despite not having armored shorts. Strange.
but
mine paid for itself this past outing..I body slammed squarely in that area!!! :0
and I'm not riding without one ever again.
:eek:
:p

beac83

Jul 12, 2008
I use the Forcefield (T-Pro) shorts. They have saved my butt more than once.

And they are washable, too. :)

mattf

Jun 3, 2009
noobinacan;153094 wrote: but
mine paid for itself this past outing..I body slammed squarely in that area!!! :0
and I'm not riding without one ever again.
:eek:
:p
Oh, no doubt. I was lucky (if you can my crash lucky) that I didn't get hammered without the shorts. I don't plan on risking my luck like that again!

Perlzuki

Jul 25, 2008
I have the Bohn shorts for about a year with no comfort problems at all. I highsided big time at VIR in July & no doubt in my mind that they saved my hip! After landing on my shoulder, I flipped over & landed very hard on my right ass cheek. Vey sore & turned blue for 3 weeks , but not broken. I highly recommend them as long as your leathers are not too tight in the ass area!

Mark
SE CR #249

RADAR Magnet

Sep 27, 2010
Just thought I'd give a quick update to this; went with the Bohn's and wore them at Summit this past weekend; was more protected and never knew they were on while riding. Thanks for your input!