Riding shorts

COBALT COUPE

Burnin' gas & haulin' a$$ !
Armor shorts updates please?...............

I know this is an old thread, but I am looking to buy a good pair of armored shorts. I was ready to buy the Bohn Adventures, partially due to how thick the padding looks thinking the more the better ( and I have room in the suit for it )but when I asked at sportbike track gear about what they recommend as far as the best protective shorts they sell the said the Bohns are okay, but we rec. the Knox Cross Armor shorts, mostly because they have CE rated armor, and the hip piece is hnged for movement. When I mentioned how thin the armor looks compared to the Bohn shorts, they said thicker is not always better , which I can understand cause of the CE rating of the Knox armor.

Anyway, can any of you guys with some experience in either of these shorts ( or others ) give me some input on which are the best ones as far as protection/comfort etc etc ?

Thanks alot

treker8098

I have not ridden on the track much during the last year and perhaps something new is out there. I purchased my Bohn's after a control rider experienced a severe high side. He tore up is shoulder and thought he broke his hip. Doctor told him he would have had he not been wearing the the Bohns. They are very comfortable. Perhaps John Allen can give you more information. I think he wears them too. The material is a high impact energy absorbant foam of some sort (a little squishy). I like them in addition to the padding in the leathers.

dbakerpa

I got a pair of the bohn shorts. I havent tested then yet but I did get a nasty bruise and a sore hip in the area they now protect me. It took 3 weeks for it to stop aching. well worth the added protection (if needed)

RADAR Magnet

Cobalt, I bought the Bohn shorts and like others have said, they're a bit bulky at first but I immediately forget about them once I'm on the track. I've since tested them a couple of times and have had no issues with my hips. There are other good options too based on some of the other posts in this thread. Just get a pair that works for you and hit the track with a little more protection.

COBALT COUPE

Burnin' gas & haulin' a$$ !
Thanks alot for the replies everyone, seems like alot of good reviews for the BOHN shorts. The Forcefield shorts look pretty substantial also.................but for about twice the price too.

I know, I know, I dont want to sound cheap, or be skimping on safety gear, but I just got a suit that will allow me the extra bit of room for both a chest protector and the armor shorts so I think whichever way I go with shorts I will be better protected than with none at all.

At this point I think I'm leaning towards the Bohns, but I've got some time to shop/think about it - it's only about 5 degrees here right now

Thanks again, and anyone else feel free to chime in.......................

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Check out the CE ratings to help you decision. The Forcefield stuff is up there. I'd upgraded the hip and shoulder armor in my suit with Forcefield Type B limb armor. I've recently ordered knee and elbow as well. That hard plastic Vanson stuff did a lot of soft tissue damage in my last crash. Johnson Leather, a distributor, will sew on velcro for no extra charge to match up with the velcro in your suit, if, like Vansons, the armor attaches that way.

I also had them modify a back protector and put on velcro so I can attach it inside my aerostich street suit.

If I could fit the armored shorts in my leathers, and a chest protector, I would. Just not enough room.