rivet master links

01wj

So I had to take my chain off today to take the swingarm off. I took it off by pulling the master link out, so I went to the store to buy a new master link. The chain is an EK MVXZ 520 chain and the master link was the one that came with it, but I just realized that the store sold me an RK 520 master link. Does it matter if I use a different brand? If it doesn't I just really don't want to have to order one and wait for it to come in.

Thanks

Lonewrench

if it fits you can use it. The pin diameter may be different though and that would be a reason it wouldn't.

gkotlin

Lonewrench;230924 wrote: if it fits you can use it. The pin diameter may be different though and that would be a reason it wouldn't.
He would definitely know. We only tried every single link in the paddock at the last Barber event to find one to fit my bike. We should have made a list of what didn't fit for cross reference! haha

Thanks again for all that help!

Spitz

Yes it will matter, measure the diameter like stated, there are a lot of different ones. I had 5 in my box and none fit my new chain (same as yours actually) and had to order one because they didnt send one in the damn package.

Bottlecap75

Quick Thread-Jack....
I'm running an RK 520 conversion and when I put the 200 size Pirelli on, the tire grows enough on the straights to touch the inside of the swingarm. The only solution I can see is to add a link or two. I just dont like the idea of more than one master link in the chain...any thoughts?

avizpls

#11-A
A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, right? If one holds up, why can't two? Or buy a new chain, but you knew that.

fossilfuel

I don't think there is any problem with having two RIVETED master links as long as they are installed properly with the correct riveting tool. I have done it with no issues.