Road America - Do we ride in the rain???

eroedig

I'm new to the track days but it's showing 70% chance of rain for Saturday at Road America. If it does get canceled how will we know? I’m fine with riding in the rain but don’t want to make the trip if it’s going to get canceled.

murf

Hi Erik, We do ride in the rain. Conditions must to be quite poor or dangerous to can the day - and the decision is never made until the day-of, so it's always best to show up. See you this weekend!

greeny

yeah unfortunately, like murf said, you gotta come and see for yourself.

todd, you bringing a fresh set of rains "just in case"?

tofstfouru

This weekend could end up being a shit show or could be a blast depending on the "70%" thunderstorms and 15-20 mph wind. Either way see all you boys and girls bright and early sat morning. Rain or shine we will be there ready to ride.

749scott

I put my rains on last night in hopes that it will scare the rain away!!! Please please rain go away!!! :nutkick:

But if it doesn't I will be in Riviera Maya on Sunday!!! :flipoff:

eE jeremy

If it rains it's just an oppertunity to practice being smooth :) Definitely bring some warm dry clothes to change into though

BlindGoldfish Z

Riding in the rain will DEFINITELY make you a better rider. You may not appreciate it at the time, but trust me, it will help.

When I got my race license in May 2008, it was 42 degrees and raining. I didn't have rain tires so I was running on Dunlop Qualifiers. There were definitely some "oh shit" moments, but it teaches you to be smooth on the throttle.

If my bike wasn't in pieces right now and waiting for a part I'd be signed up for this. Just think, you will be able to tell people you road RA at 130mph in the rain.

Chgorrguy

murf;122795 wrote: Hi Erik, We do ride in the rain. Conditions must to be quite poor or dangerous to can the day - and the decision is never made until the day-of, so it's always best to show up. See you this weekend!
Exactly, you never know. Last year at Blackhawk when Darren and I got there friday night it was downpouring, it stopped and the weekend turned out pretty good. Just think happy thoughts. :rolleyes:

ERB68

BlindGoldfish Z;122829 wrote:
Just think, you will be able to tell people you road RA at 130mph in the rain.
That's what I need, more people thinking I'm out of my mind. :D

stkr

A few other things riding in the rain will teach you...

Fiberglass Repair / Painting
Clutch/Brake lever replacement
Clip-On replacement
Rain Tires DO have a limit on lean angle/grip ;)

Just for clarification: I "previously" owned a set of R@#$ tires, and managed to crash twice with them.

jigs

I've only seen one event called...it was R.A.,cold ,rainy,and the fog was so bad you couldn't see turn one,so they called it at noon.Tain riding can teach you something,the problem is,as you start getting a little more comfy,you naturally get a little cockier,but one wrong input puts you down,needless to say...LEAVE THE SWITCH ON GANG! careful out there.

alocker

My first time at RA. Im glad I got to see the track for a few sessions but I lost the rear and both wrists hit the tank twice. I decided I will just book RA again in the summer and packed up after lunch.

stkr

We should get a count of how many rode versus how many crashed.

I called it quits, and came home today. I didn't want to risk an injury when I've got the Yamaha Champions School in three weeks. I hope everyone has a safe trip home.

To those that crashed: Hope you heal up soon, and hope the bikes aren't too bad.

n2gsxrs

I made it thru the first two sessions and then just chatted with some fellow nesbians till lunch and packed up also. Even though I was willing the Corsa 3's that had about 2 track days left in them didn't care for the rain.I was taking it easy and I still lost the rear coming out of T2 but made a save, and after having the rear spin up in 3rd on the front straight I figured I had recieved my warnings should just park it. Was fun and did learn a bunch but just happy to make it out w/o and damage.

mx558

jigs;123021 wrote: I've only seen one event called...it was R.A.,cold ,rainy,and the fog was so bad you couldn't see turn one,so they called it at noon.Tain riding can teach you something,the problem is,as you start getting a little more comfy,you naturally get a little cockier,but one wrong input puts you down,needless to say...LEAVE THE SWITCH ON GANG! careful out there.
What the hell would you know about rain riding Sally ?:p

eE jeremy

Road and crashed lol

Thankfully I was completely uninjured and the bike isn't bad at all, I spun the rear coming out of turn 3 and lowsided in the 4th session. I learned a lot, and didn't get hurt, that's all that matters.

ronhix

I'm wondering how many people crashed because they were riding on "street tires" or "race tires" instead of "rain tires".

Not pointing the finger at anyone, but I really think it is wise to use rain tires on a wet track. A good set of rains will last a very long time (as long as you don't run them on a track that is not wet enough). They will also make riding in the rain, a much more enjoyable experience.

I rode yesterday and really did enjoy it. :)