Road America - Do we ride in the rain???

stkr

Yeah, but you're just not quite right when it comes to this track stuff Ron. :D

I agree, I just wish TurnOne would have had more rains available after 9am. That was a mad rush on rains - LOL. Not knocking TurnOne at all.

Texter

I Rode all sessions, Had some slippery moments on my Racetek K3s but overall just fine! Great first track day for me!

Matt Gephart

I ran the whole morning and the last two sessions in the afternoon on Pilot Power 2CT's. Slip and slide in the corners if you do something wrong, but didn't have anything I'd consider a scary moment at all. Kept it smooth and didn't do anything abrubtly and I think James and I ran pretty quickly in I group on street tires.

We do look pretty funny though; knee out about 2 feet above the ground, and the bike straight up and down, just trying to keep it from sliding. Glad we didn't try sunday.

tofstfouru

Had a great time despite the rainy conditions on saturday. I was one of the few guys along with Matt that were running pilot powers instead of rains. Pushed the front a few times and got slightly comfortable slipping the rear exiting. Would have been better on rains I am sure but I don't have 500 to drop just on a set of tires right now. Had a good time with friends and riding in the wet. Look forward to Road A again in June.

Funinthetwisties

:agree: What they said.

The four of us had a great time. Myself and Dan were in B and Matt and James were in I so we didint get to ride together, but still had a blast. It was both our (Dan and I) first track day (thanks Ken for the West Pons bike), and I thought we did pretty well, especially considering the miserable weather.
Thanks so much to all the CR's who gave me feedback, I really appreciate all the help you guys give us. Thanks to Murf for his help and input on his old bike.
All in all I had a great time, with a bunch of great people. I will be back... as soon as I can!

RandyO

I am not a racer, I am a track day guy that likes to take his street ride to the track and dispose of that "need for speed"

I do not carry "rains" or desire to scrape the paint off my $3000 skins.. I also like my levers and bar ends the way they are... bottom line? I have a 3 strike rule..

Cold, wet and windy -= 3 perfectly good reasons not to ride a 200hp bike on a track that begs for speed.. Maybe if I was an aspiring racer that needed all the "smooth" practice it might be different..

If you can not see where you are going, how are you supposed to enjoy a nice hydroplane job through a few inches of standing water at the end of a straight? if it was not water on the face shield, it was "fog" in the helmet..

What I learned this very cold, wet windy weekend..

NESBA does not need to promote "raind days" as a member benefit.. unless someone really gets hurt, they are going to run rain or shine..

30-40 mph wind gust's will overcome most any tie down method for an e-z up awning

2 full days of rain will make any normal set of leathers soggy

Day one had 14 run offs... thankfully no one appeared to get hurt..

Knowing that NESBA wont call a rain day unless Noah floats by on an ark, I will from now on cancel out at a week before if the weather appears marginal...

unhappy? a bit... I guess I miss understood the "rain rule"

I did meet some new fun people however... :)

Funinthetwisties

Randy, are you the same RandyO from the SV boards from previous years? The one with 130 some hundred thousand miles on your 650?
If so, I am sorry I missed you at the track, I would have loved to meet you, I only have 30K on my 650 and even suzuki doesnt know whats wrong with my constantly failing valve keepers.
Sorry to hear you had a rough time either way. I had a blast on my new 600RR, and if your smooth, at least I got rewarded with a very confidence inpiring day. I have about half the HP and far less weight on my bike however....
Oh, and as we found out, it doesnt take 2 days of rain to soak your leathers. Just one seems to do the trick pretty well :)

RandyO;123183 wrote: I am not a racer, I am a track day guy that likes to take his street ride to the track and dispose of that "need for speed"

I do not carry "rains" or desire to scrape the paint off my $3000 skins.. I also like my levers and bar ends the way they are... bottom line? I have a 3 strike rule..

Cold, wet and windy -= 3 perfectly good reasons not to ride a 200hp bike on a track that begs for speed.. Maybe if I was an aspiring racer that needed all the "smooth" practice it might be different..

If you can not see where you are going, how are you supposed to enjoy a nice hydroplane job through a few inches of standing water at the end of a straight? if it was not water on the face shield, it was "fog" in the helmet...

What I learned this very cold, wet windy weekend..

NESBA does not need to promote "raind days" as a member benefit.. unless someone really gets hurt, they are going to run rain or shine..

30-40 mph wind gust's will overcome most any tie down method for an e-z up awning

2 full days of rain will make any normal set of leathers soggy

Day one had 14 run offs... thankfully no one appeared to get hurt..

Knowing that NESBA wont call a rain day unless Noah floats by on an ark, I will from now on cancel out at a week before if the weather appears marginal...

unhappy? a bit... I guess I miss understood the "rain rule"

I did meet some new fun people however... :)

ZLTFUL

Rode all day yesterday and only had one moment where I was even remotely uncomfortable.

I mean besides the getting stuffed by Ron Hix in Kettle Bottoms :saythat: ;)

I think the best part of the whole weekend was pretty much every session when I pulled in, the feedback I got from CRs was pretty much all "You're looking really smooth out there." A real key and good thing to hear on a rainy day.

It was also a ton of fun getting to mix it up a lil bit with Jamie again. Outside of the soaking glove slipping off the throttle and then whacking the kill switch trying to get back on the throttle at well over a buck on the front straight.

Really appreciate Ron, Greg and that strangely quiet and creepy guy sitting next to the track map :D for giving us noobs some good info today. I mean I have a pretty good grasp of the fundamentals that were discussed but the terms they were put in and the ways of putting them together made so much sense I was shocked I had not seen it before.
Thanks for the time guys. It made killing the time this morning fun AND educational.

Looking forward to some more time in the Mid West region with Mid Central being on hiatus. Some good people you guys got out there!
Thanks for the fun and we will see you again soon!

gkotlin

ZLTFUL;123194 wrote: Really appreciate Ron, Greg and that strangely quiet and creepy guy sitting next to the track map :D for giving us noobs some good info today. I mean I have a pretty good grasp of the fundamentals that were discussed but the terms they were put in and the ways of putting them together made so much sense I was shocked I had not seen it before.
Thanks for the time guys. It made killing the time this morning fun AND educational.
That creepy guy was Control Rider and Multi-time regional CCS Champion Jesse Krueger. He's not as creepy as he seems.

I'm really glad someone has something good to say about the weekend. If you really enjoyed the mornings mini-school, then you'd love our SED (Skills Enhancement Days). It's more that with a lot more. You'll get knowledge. Lapping session and drills sessions. The classroom educates you. The skills and drill help to build the motor skills into your riding package. The lapping sessions let you practice putting all together with the help and guidance of Control Riders instruction.

We're only doing 1 SED day this year in the Mid-West! Tell your friends and sign up early. It's 1 day for B group and 1 day for I group. The whole day is devoted to you and your riding! An event you don't want to miss.

Again, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm glad that Ron let me be a part of it. I REALLY enjoyed being able to do that this morning and make use of the time. There is nothing I enjoy more then talking about riding and helping you guys understand riding in an effort to develop your skills to become safer and faster riders.

tankslapper

Funny how your brain works. Mine kept trying to tell me that even though it rained I came out ahead. How is that so?

Hmm. Instead of running two days at $155 day plus burning up a new set of DOT race tires ($340), grand total of $650, I bought a set of used rains for $150 and road only one session, which comes out to a $305 weekend. Meet a couple new kick ass Nesba guys is probably worth $50. Track Support/Vendor guys next door mounted my rains and straightend out my twisted rear set is worth $50, so overall probably came out $445 ahead for the weekend.

Suppose I will take the money I saved and spend on the Next RA track day, provided it is hot and very sunny.

Yep, funny how the track mind works.

ronhix

RandyO;123183 wrote: What I learned this very cold, wet windy weekend..

Yeah, I kinda understand where you are coming from on this. BUT, to be fair here, NESBA did cancel the day on Sunday.

I didn't make the rain policy, NESBA did. But from my understanding it does not mean that NESBA does not ride on a wet track. Rather, it means that if the track is deemed unsafe to ride due to weather then you will be credited for that day. It certainly does not work "reactively" where someone gets really hurt and then the day is all of a sudden canceled!

For example, Saturday was perfectly safe to ride at Road America. Sure, it was raining and the track was wet but there was no huge puddles of standing water on the track and with a set of rain tires the track had sufficient grip to ride. In fact, Road America is probably one of the better tracks to ride in the rain since it sheds water very well. There are those of us who enjoy learning and working on "smooth" and rain days are great opportunities for this at a slower pace (preferably on rain tires) with huge amounts of open track in front of you.

Sunday, however was canceled and rain credits issued. Why? Again, I did not make the call to cancel the day, but I heard it was because the high winds plus the rain made for an unsafe situation on the track. A rider could be blown off line easily on a wet track with 35 - 40mph wind gusts. It also did not help that it was in the mid 40's or so. A judgment call was made by the NESBA staff at the track based on safety concerns.

At the end of the day, it is a safety issue and the policy is there to protect your wallet and your backside.

Perhaps, someone with a higher pay grade than myself will come along and speak to this "officially". Again, that is just my understanding. Hope that helps clear up what the rain policy is all about.

headstart

ZLTFUL;123194 wrote: Rode all day yesterday and only had one moment where I was even remotely uncomfortable.

I mean besides the getting stuffed by Ron Hix in Kettle Bottoms :saythat: ;)

I think the best part of the whole weekend was pretty much every session when I pulled in, the feedback I got from CRs was pretty much all "You're looking really smooth out there." A real key and good thing to hear on a rainy day.

It was also a ton of fun getting to mix it up a lil bit with Jamie again. Outside of the soaking glove slipping off the throttle and then whacking the kill switch trying to get back on the throttle at well over a buck on the front straight.

Really appreciate Ron, Greg and that strangely quiet and creepy guy sitting next to the track map :D for giving us noobs some good info today. I mean I have a pretty good grasp of the fundamentals that were discussed but the terms they were put in and the ways of putting them together made so much sense I was shocked I had not seen it before.

Looking forward to some more time in the Mid West region with Mid Central being on hiatus. Some good people you guys got out there!
Thanks for the fun and we will see you again soon!
It was great riding with you again. I'm glad you guys made the trip up and we made the most of what we had for the day's conditions.

You were riding smooth and in control so hopefully you are able to take away some good lessons about throttle smoothness. Looking forward to seeing you at BHF or RA later this year.

greeny

Randy, to avoid signing up for days that aren't necessarily busa-friendly, perfect conditions, just wait and pay the full amount on the day of an event. You can consider the extra money you spend a "nice weather guarantee" fee. Unfortunately, nesba isn't gonna refund people their money simply because the track is wet... especially when there's a bunch of riders ready and willing to roll in the rain. If that was their policy then nesba would cease to exist.

Anyway, I had a blast on Saturday and learned A LOT about riding in the rain. I wish there were more people on track to play around with, but I still had a great time. 145 mph in the wet... gotta love it!

GK#103

That was my first time on full rains, I must say it really taught a lesson in moving up your comfort zone:wow:. I rode till I couldn't feel my fingers or toes, & called it a good day.:)
If it's a little warmer next time, I'm ready, it really was an experience to practice that much smooth! Thanks to TurnOne, Joe D. had my bike flying in the rain.:D

Kim

greeny;123220 wrote:
Anyway, I had a blast on Saturday and learned A LOT about riding in the rain. I wish there were more people on track to play around with, but I still had a great time. 145 mph in the wet... gotta love it!
Sorry I missed you that first session after lunch - I was ready to let you pass me and then blame it on the tires :dunno::D

Next time for sure...:D

Kim

It was definitely a memorable weekend at RA.

Nolan and I drove up on Saturday early morning hoping for the best. When we crossed the WI border at about 3:30am it was dry and about 50 degrees. Unfortunately that didn't hold for very long...

Saturday dawned with heavy rain which continued on and off all day. Still, the NESBA members wanted to ride and there was a mad scramble for rain-appropriate tires. Turn One was on hand, selling out their entire stock of rains in record time. Unfortunately I only brought race DOT tires, then Steve Palella came to the rescue with an oldish pair of Michelin rains that he let me have for the day. I found lots of good grip and can only imagine what a brand new set of those things can do. Thanks Steve!! :adore:

The day could have been miserable, but the enthusiasm of the members was infectious and I found myself doing session after session, lap after lap in the downpour. I even braved an "A" session on those tires and had a blast. Granted, I only saw 3 other riders but I did pass one of them so I wasn't the slowest person out there!! :haha:
Then Ron Hix passed me on the outside of the carousel like I was standing still and I was no longer as cool as I thought I was... :haha:

Memorable moments for me this weekend were:

Catching Chris (Hman 675) in a big bobble between 1 and 2 and then pulling around and riding the rest of the rainy session with him. Chris, glad you kept the shiny side up, put things together on those tires and actually had some fun out there!

Helping a "B" group member earn an "I" bump on a miserably rainy day - the smile on his face when he stopped by our pit to show off the new sticker was priceless.

Stopping after each session wondering if anybody was having any fun, only to get smiles and excited stories about how much they were learning riding in the rain and asking, "Are you going to be out next session? I want to work on ______!!!"

Traveling up the front straight with my helmet visor cracked open to prevent fogging, then reaching up to hold on to it while turning around to check on the riders behind me. Interesting for sure.... :wow:

I wish the weather would have cooperated and definitely prefer the fair weather track days over the crappy ones. But there is something to be said about the learning that goes on in less that ideal conditions. Also, a hot shower and warm dry feet were heaven at the end of the day.

On Sunday we found out what it takes to cancel a NESBA day - "real feel" 38 degree temperatures, heavy sideways rain, 4 miles of track with really long straightaways, and 30+ MPH winds. FWIW I think the right decision was made for staff and member safety.

Looking forward to Putnam next weekend and not even commenting on the weather...

nickmick

RandyO;123183 wrote: NESBA does not need to promote "raind days" as a member benefit.. unless someone really gets hurt, they are going to run rain or shine..
um, did they run sunday? did you get credit?

if this was STT you'd be out your $ regardless, from what I understand.

You're a midwest local, aren't you? if you want guarenteed sunshine, don't sign up for a trackday in WISCONSIN in APRIL. :idea: :doh:

i went out sat. afternoon and had a blast. i wish i went out in the morning.

ERB68

It was not ideal to be sure. But it was still good to be track side with like minded folks.

My bike had mechanical issues(brakes) so I was not going to be able to ride.

Anyone who signed up ahead of time and didn't realize it was a weather gamble, is naive.

We must except it is always a weather gamble. Nesba does what it can, but for the club to stay viable, we as members have to except it is what it is.

I would like to thank Joe & Tom from Turn One for not letting any harm come to my Green Bay Packer canopies. I know they would have liked them to be gone, but showed great restraint.

It's the lemons/lemonade thing. We can't do anything about it so try to find some fun any way you can. I found fun by trying to help others on this weekend. I loaned out my race rains and rain gear & tried to lend a hand anyplace I could. I got to share some fun stories & was told some fun stories. I was able to enjoy some beers with friends and had some laughs.

Thanks Nesba.

Morrand

ronhix;123207 wrote:
For example, Saturday was perfectly safe to ride at Road America. Sure, it was raining and the track was wet but there was no huge puddles of standing water on the track and with a set of rain tires the track had sufficient grip to ride.
Of course, when you say, "no huge puddles," you mean that there were some, but that they were not very deep and it was possible to go around them most of the time. :D

I'll say this much for Saturday: while it was far, far from ideal conditions for riding, it was entirely possible to get a reasonable amount of grip even on DOT race tires (or whatever it is that I was running, anyway, which were not rain tires). Certainly it was enough grip that my main problem over the few sessions that I rode was getting cold and getting blinded by fog, not sliding around. I admit that I was slowing way down in the corners, and up to a point that's probably where rain tires would help, but it wasn't a matter of slowing down so much that it wasn't fun. If anything, it was relatively enjoyable to work out how to get down to corner speed smoothly, get around, and get back up to speed smoothly, and have it all work out correctly.

I think it was session #5 or #6 that it was fully raining and I decided to go out for one lap. It was wet and cold, the rain stung my neck going through the straight parts of the track, and I slid uncomfortably through turn 8--and I was laughing all the way up pit entry and for a few minutes after I parked. I don't think I've ever had quite that much stupid fun on the track before.

Anyway, I'm disappointed that the weather didn't come right during the weekend, and I'm disappointed that the only dry pavement I saw at all was on WI-57 heading south on Sunday afternoon (and thinking we were just that close to having things work out), but I can't say that I'm really disappointed that we ran Saturday even given the poor conditions.