Road America - Do we ride in the rain???

Chgorrguy

I'm not saying it was the best time I've had at the track, but any chance to get out of town is a win in my book. Darren and I arrived late friday night, barely making it in before the gates were "closed" at 10pm. After getting pounded by rain all night I was a little nervous to be running without rain tires. I went out cautiously and became the first lowside of the day. No major damage, with the help of Darren and Nolan we got my bike ready to go for sunday. I'm glad the day was canceled as it was unsafe with the wind gusts but I never felt NESBA owed me a credit. It's not their fault the day was shit. Giving us the credit is a great move on their part and I give Fred props, because I'm sure he had to fight for it. Thanks Fred!

Regardless, I think I'll get a set of rains on my spare rims as I was really bummed out I didn't get to go play because my tires have no tread, or very little. Glad everyone had fun and no trips to the hospital is another win in my book. See you all in a few weeks.

Dan

Oh...where do you buy your rain tires? I've looked at sportbiketrackgear.com and others and can't find them. Are they something special that only the cool kids get?

fitz

Came very close to doing this weekend.

Interesting read how you guys dealt with the weather.

Brave it out there with whatever tires you have.

Spend close to $500 on rain tires to help improve a rainy trackday.

Cut your loses and call it quits.

:notsure:

After driving 12 hours to get there, not sure what I would have done, glad you guys pulled through though. :)

fitz

RandyO

fitz;123291 wrote: Came very close to doing this weekend.

Interesting read how you guys dealt with the weather.

Brave it out there with whatever tires you have.

Spend close to $500 on rain tires to help improve a rainy trackday.

Cut your loses and call it quits.

:notsure:

After driving 12 hours to get there, not sure what I would have done, glad you guys pulled through though. :)

fitz
Yea, I am just not an all weather diehard..
I have to pay attention to conditions a bit more considering my track bike weighs in at 575lbs without me on it.. and over 100ft lbs torque at most any time.. And although I have more years street time than many of these other guys are old.. I am new to track riding with only a dozen days under my belt..

at 50+ years old, I take longer to heal and am slower to react.. Meaning, bike steps out, I go oops and spend the next month in pain.. :)

I am just a recreational fair weather track day guy... (that spent 16 hours driving to watch the rain fall)... I met some great guys and had a generally good time but did not get to ride.. (my choice yes)..

Glad I get credit for Sunday at least! with 3 more track days in the next 2 weeks, I am also glad my bike is in one piece as am I and that I saved a full set of tires.. :p

stephenjpauls

Chgorrguy;123264 wrote:

Oh...where do you buy your rain tires? I've looked at sportbiketrackgear.com and others and can't find them. Are they something special that only the cool kids get?
I would suggest buying them from Turn One... Support your track day vender (Good prices too)...

If you prefer the web, here are the links...

Turn One Bridgestone Rains

Turn One Pirelli Rains

otherwise I would give Tom or Marshall a call... These guys have always had better service than anyone else I have worked with.

Tom at 847-899-5739

Marshall at 847-254-8009

Cheers,
Steve

Chgorrguy

stephenjpauls;123308 wrote: I would suggest buying them from Turn One... Support your track day vender (Good prices too)...

If you prefer the web, here are the links...

Turn One Bridgestone Rains

Turn One Pirelli Rains

otherwise I would give Tom or Marshall a call... These guys have always had better service than anyone else I have worked with.

Tom at 847-899-5739

Marshall at 847-254-8009

Cheers,
Steve
Duh...thanks, had a minor stroke and forgot about them. They did a fair amount of business at RA this weekend that's for sure.

xlink

Chgorrguy;123313 wrote: Duh...thanks, had a minor stroke and forgot about them. They did a fair amount of business at RA this weekend that's for sure.
Keep in mind that the squeaky wheel gets the grease - if you go to Turn One early enough they may have used sets of rains (sometimes their personal sets) and will let them go for a lot less than $500...and ask around the paddock - some of the racers will sell you their used rains for as little as $50-$100 (depending on the condition and age) and you'll salvage your day...but you have to be proactive and ask.

Just post in the classifieds "WTB Used Rains" and I bet you'll get some reasonable offers - it is a good investment and a piece of mind (and it scares the rain away most of the time).

Chgorrguy

xlink;123318 wrote: Keep in mind that the squeaky wheel gets the grease - if you go to Turn One early enough they may have used sets of rains (sometimes their personal sets) and will let them go for a lot less than $500...and ask around the paddock - some of the racers will sell you their used rains for as little as $50-$100 (depending on the condition and age) and you'll salvage your day...but you have to be proactive and ask.

Just post in the classifieds "WTB Used Rains" and I bet you'll get some reasonable offers - it is a good investment and a piece of mind (and it scares the rain away most of the time).
Great idea, thanks. I'll do that. :adore:

greeny

i was on the bridgestone rains which stuck like glue all day. they're significantly cheaper than other options... i believe i paid $325 or so? talk to the T1 guys and they can get you squared away.

mach85

$500.00 for rains? Hmm.

I called TurnOne two days prior and had a brand new set of b-stone rains waiting. The total cost was $363.00, no sales tax, and free installation. They'll have paid for themselves after just one more rain day.

-Glen
#85 A

Nolan1000

Texter;123160 wrote: I Rode all sessions, Had some slippery moments on my Racetek K3s but overall just fine! Great first track day for me!
Funinthetwisties;123174 wrote:
:agree: What they said.

The four of us had a great time. Myself and Dan were in B and Matt and James were in I so we didint get to ride together, but still had a blast. It was both our (Dan and I) first track day (thanks Ken for the West Pons bike), and I thought we did pretty well, especially considering the miserable weather.
Thanks so much to all the CR's who gave me feedback, I really appreciate all the help you guys give us. Thanks to Murf for his help and input on his old bike.
All in all I had a great time, with a bunch of great people. I will be back... as soon as I can!
You two were riding well for your first trackday under those conditions. I look forward to riding with you again when its dry.;)

cagepasser

Hi guys, I didn't sign up for this week end, but came out to vist with friends. Man what a crapy day, even for Road America! I kept hoping it would clear up for you guys, but no luck.

I left when my wife, daughter and I were soaked through. I got home and realized I never stopped over by Geoff May.:doh:

And oh yeah! I'll be there in June with new slicks!

spuds

yea this weekend was crappy. but it was a trackday. we paid for it. might as well use the time right?

i had this discussion with murf on saturday morning. and it came down to that. neither of us wanted to get wet. but we were there. he had a job to do of course. and i paid for the time to be there. rain or shine.

hell, i crashed in 13 my 1st session, 1st lap! and i wasnt complaining, bike and me were ok, so i went back to to work on whatever i could while i was there. plus i got to go fast! holding the old liter bike wide open in the rain down the front strait was amazing! still having conrol while doing 160mph in the rain...awesome! (rain tires rule, thanks murf!)
The rain credits are just a bonus. most of us here took the gamble and still signed up knowing that its is a wisconsin spring. it could have been 90 one day and snowing the next.

just my 2 cents.

thanks NESBA for the fun weekend. cant wait to do it again the dry!!!

Texter

I'm definitely back for June. See you all then! Thanks again to All the CR's, Nolan, Kim thanks for all your wonderful input and help! NESBA Rocks!

tofstfouru

I will be there with Dan as well for the June date. Lets hope we have 70's and bright sunshine all day long. Hell after this last weekend we all deserve it.

ZLTFUL

I am making my upcoming job offers contingent on them letting me have at least one of the remaining RA duo of days off.

I love that place. Rain or Shine.

headstart

ZLTFUL;123458 wrote: I am making my upcoming job offers contingent on them letting me have at least one of the remaining RA duo of days off.

I love that place. Rain or Shine.
I like to see someone with their priorities straight

RandyO

BryanS_1;123421 wrote: Well, based on your write-ups, I'm happy for you guys that you all had such a good time, but for me, I think I made the right choice to skip this first RA session. June? Oh yeah, I'm booked and ready. Oh, and props to Texter

Thanks for posting!
I am pretty sure Sandman8 (Ryan) got more wet than he did helping him trailer the RR on Saturday... Give ya all credit for riding in the slop..

paintedblue

i was pitted with Jamie (CR) and Marty, both from the Minnesota. Anyone know if they post at NESBA at all? I'd like to thank them for their hospitality and a dry place to sleep.