Road America Videos 5/30 B and 5/31 I

stkr

Nice decision making in the B-group. I saw you "wanting" to pass a few times, but made the better choice to wait. Nice work! :cool:

Now, I know why it was so hard to keep up with you on the straights......you're on a 750. ;)

Congrats again on the bump!

Jonny Boy

Thanks Jim. Your feedback really helped. It was my first time riding this track so it took a little bit of adjusting, and yeah the 750 helps a little bit. :)

TheGrouch

Don't be afraid to use all the track at the exits of T7 and T13.

Even though you have to cross back over for the entrance of the next turn, you're making those corners tighter than they need to be by only using 1/2 the track on exit. Additionally, the best way to make a safe pass going down into T8, is to power through T7, using all of the exit area on the left, then drift back to 1/2 track. The additional drive out of T7 makes it easy to out run others down to T8 and you'll have the inside line (and be visible) to those you are passing.

Ditto for T13 in T14.

Aside from that, looks pretty good. Try raising your camera up next time. I'd much rather see the track than the speedo. :)

Jonny Boy

Thanks for the advice and I will def try to do that more. I agree on the camera angle, and I wanted it higher but you dont see the videos until after they are tacken. I might have to get the LCD screen for the GoPro.

zukirider122

Johnny Boy - Do you have any video of that yellow GSXR that you were sparring with in B group on Tuesday just before your bump? BTW, congrats on the bump, I managed to get mine just before the rain came.

Jonny Boy

Yep, I do have some vids of you. I will send you a PM about how to get them to you. Congrats on your bump too.

S3aturnR

that track messes with my head. i can't brake deeper into t5, even tho i'm coasting for EVER. my brain simply won't let me. same with t1. canada corner, however, i was braking WAY deep and was scaring myself half the time. even tho i got the bump to I as well, i don't think it was for my blazing speed rather than just being smooth and making smart passing choices. i could ride this track every day for a month straight and it would still have my number. i did have a great time, tho. just need to let my mind relax, i guess.

great vids, Jon. most of the ones of me were painful to watch. i hope that most of it was getting used to a new ride. the more i learn, the more i realize there's SO much more to learn.

s3aturnr

stkr

S3aturnR;194026 wrote: that track messes with my head. i can't brake deeper into t5, even tho i'm coasting for EVER. my brain simply won't let me. same with t1. canada corner, however, i was braking WAY deep and was scaring myself half the time. even tho i got the bump to I as well, i don't think it was for my blazing speed rather than just being smooth and making smart passing choices. i could ride this track every day for a month straight and it would still have my number. i did have a great time, tho. just need to let my mind relax, i guess.

great vids, Jon. most of the ones of me were painful to watch. i hope that most of it was getting used to a new ride. the more i learn, the more i realize there's SO much more to learn.

s3aturnr
We'll work on those turns the next time you're at Road America. We'll work on identifying some brake markers and then progressively move them closer to the turn as the day goes on.

Once you're able to build your confidence in small steps, you'll be fine. Until then, just use that "coasting" time to pick your entry point and get that body position dialed in. When it all comes together, you'll be sailing through smoothly and in control.

S3aturnR

stkr;194032 wrote: We'll work on those turns the next time you're at Road America. We'll work on identifying some brake markers and then progressively move them closer to the turn as the day goes on.

Once you're able to build your confidence in small steps, you'll be fine. Until then, just use that "coasting" time to pick your entry point and get that body position dialed in. When it all comes together, you'll be sailing through smoothly and in control.
thanks, man! i'll take all the help i can get. normally, i can work my way thru the braking issue. that's partly why i'm a little confused. with t5 perhaps it's because i can't see the actual turn over the hill? i have no excuse for t1. :confused:

s3aturnr

Jonny Boy

Rob, I think a lot of it had to do with your new ride. I am sure its an amazing bike, but its still fairly new to you and you have clicked with it yet. Once you get more comfortable on the bike I am sure you wont have any issues getting deeper in the brakes. I noticed the same issues for you when you were out there, and it confused me because you have never been early on the brakes.

geekmug

S3aturnR;194034 wrote: thanks, man! i'll take all the help i can get. normally, i can work my way thru the braking issue. that's partly why i'm a little confused. with t5 perhaps it's because i can't see the actual turn over the hill? i have no excuse for t1. :confused:
The trick is to convince yourself that you don't need to see the turn (you don't!). When I am going down to T1, I am looking down the left side of the track for my mark, I don't even look to the right until I hit my turn-in mark. I apply the same process to all of the turns, more or less. I think we all struggle with the same psychological blocks and sometimes you just have to distract or trick yourself and simplify the problem. Once your mark is a comfortable place to brake and is repeatable, then you can move it in deeper by a couple feet; rinse and repeat. If you don't have a reference point, then you are just guessing. :idea:

S3aturnR

i hope i can work my way thru this barrier. i know there is a LOT of capable help out there to seek assistance from, too. finding a good brake marker for t1 would definitely help. t5 i kept telling myself, "stay on the throttle until the 5 marker this time" and every time i would lose my nerve, roll off and coast to the 5 marker, then start braking. it's gotta be mental for me there.

this just means that i need WAY more track days there to get better at it. :D i can live with that...

that video is a double-edged sword; it's painful to watch, but i'd never see (and take steps to correct) many of my issues without it.

on a related note; i saw a few more pics of j_fuggin_t from RA and want to be able to get my head down like he can. WOW! i definitely know what i'm gonna practice on my next outing...

s3aturnr

eE jeremy

S3aturnR;194041 wrote: i hope i can work my way thru this barrier. i know there is a LOT of capable help out there to seek assistance from, too. finding a good brake marker for t1 would definitely help. t5 i kept telling myself, "stay on the throttle until the 5 marker this time" and every time i would lose my nerve, roll off and coast to the 5 marker, then start braking. it's gotta be mental for me there.

this just means that i need WAY more track days there to get better at it. :D i can live with that...

that video is a double-edged sword; it's painful to watch, but i'd never see (and take steps to correct) many of my issues without it.

on a related note; i saw a few more pics of j_fuggin_t from RA and want to be able to get my head down like he can. WOW! i definitely know what i'm gonna practice on my next outing...

s3aturnr
Yup Jeff has got great body position on the bike. I think the key is to get your head down so it feels like it's where it needs to be, then push it down awkwardly lower so you feel like you must look ridiculous, then when you check out the pics afterwards, you'll think damn, that looks perfect! Also remind yourself throughout the day to get your head down, it creeps back up as you get tired/lazy.

As for braking, try not to focus so much on where you start braking, for now work on fully applying the brakes, trail braking (you are trail braking aren't you?), and being smooth, you can move your brake markers as needed but you should avoid trying to scare yourself into braking harder, because as you get scared your body will tense up, the bike will be hard to turn, you'll apply too much brake before allowing the weight to load the front tire, and you'll load the bars with your body weight. Stay calm, relaxed, and loose, but focus on improving your braking, not just braking later.

cooker1

You know I rode with you guys and you were way fast and ridin really well watched you after you passed me LOL just cant get that speed out of my SV any way congrats on the bump and whoever s ridin the yellow bike I was there when they said follow me and we will fill out the papers for the bump ! Congrats guys good job !

S3aturnR

eE jeremy;194055 wrote: Yup Jeff has got great body position on the bike. I think the key is to get your head down so it feels like it's where it needs to be, then push it down awkwardly lower so you feel like you must look ridiculous, then when you check out the pics afterwards, you'll think damn, that looks perfect! Also remind yourself throughout the day to get your head down, it creeps back up as you get tired/lazy.
he's the poster boy for body position...

eE jeremy;194055 wrote:
As for braking, try not to focus so much on where you start braking, for now work on fully applying the brakes, trail braking (you are trail braking aren't you?), and being smooth, you can move your brake markers as needed but you should avoid trying to scare yourself into braking harder, because as you get scared your body will tense up, the bike will be hard to turn, you'll apply too much brake before allowing the weight to load the front tire, and you'll load the bars with your body weight. Stay calm, relaxed, and loose, but focus on improving your braking, not just braking later.
it is strange because i go to gingerman and grattan pretty regularly and i've learned to do most of my passing by out-braking people. this whole braking way too soon thing is sorta new to me. it also appears to only affect me at RA, since i didn't experience it when i went to beaverun and putnam last season. i am GOOFY... :D

s3aturnr

eE jeremy

S3aturnR;194187 wrote: it also appears to only affect me at RA, since i didn't experience it when i went to beaverun and putnam last season. i am GOOFY... :D

s3aturnr
I've never been to beaverrun, but putnam doesn't have any hard braking corners, Road america has a few (1,5, canada corner), the corners you were struggling with.

S3aturnR

eE jeremy;194189 wrote: I've never been to beaverrun, but putnam doesn't have any hard braking corners, Road america has a few (1,5, canada corner), the corners you were struggling with.
i guess that would explain why i only notice it at RA, then...

s3aturnr

j_fuggin_t

S3aturnR;194041 wrote:
i owe much of that to Kim, Nolan, Palella & Trank, those guys helped me ALOT and got it to stick, at the beg of the season i was rusty & was just plain lazy, i took a look at my pictures and said wow that is absolutely horrible so i worked on it, its an acquired comfort level when it gets down to getting that far off of the bike because at first your body is going to say WHOA dude what are you doing, just work on it & if you see me at the track COME ASK FOR POINTERS ;)

eE jeremy;194055 wrote:
Yup Jeff has got great body position on the bike. I think the key is to get your head down so it feels like it's where it needs to be, then push it down awkwardly lower so you feel like you must look ridiculous, then when you check out the pics afterwards, you'll think damn, that looks perfect! Also remind yourself throughout the day to get your head down, it creeps back up as you get tired/lazy.
exactly, it should feel extremely exagerated at first but keep doing it to program it to normalcy then once you start turning in to early or you notice your turning in too tight it will let ya know you can get on the gas sooner and keep the lean angle off