Road Atlanta almost crash 10/31 Sunday

rswails

Hi guys. This is me almost crashing on Turn 5 in the beginner group. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19VPPAQbBb0

In the description I say what I believe was the problem. My line seems to be off too. I see most guys coming out more to the right of that turn than I was. Feel free to let me know what you think.

This was my first Nesba track day, and 3rd track day ever. All I can say is I had an amazing time and will definitely go back sometime. Also I have noticed Nesba riders are faster than the other track days I went to.

Thank you NESBA for running a clean operation here.

jas0336

REALLY glad you saved it. As to the line...The guy you were following had a pretty good line. I think you want your knee over the rumble strip at the apex. You weren't off that far but about where you were is a seam in the asphalt which you want to be inside at full lean. If you see guys outside of that, it is usually after the apex where their speed carries them out or they are about to be passed on the inside (in the :a: group).

It looked like just a touch too much throttle probably caused the rear to step out initially. Be careful in those situations...it looked like you closed the throttle which snapped the bike back upright. This time it worked out but it very often will cause a highside. I believe two bikes went down that weekend on that same hill.

Welcome to NESBA and again, really glad you saved it. We'll see you out there.

michicago

That camera leaves too many unknowns with body position, but my best guess would be a combination of being too centered on the bike and too abrupt throttle application. You were pretty high in the revs, so a slight mistake in throttle input would be amplified.

As far as your line, you could have been farther to the inside at the apex, but I don't think that played into your back end stepping out. I had the same thing happen to me in T7 that day. A combination of a tired rider, tired rear tire, and some crazy fast rabbits out there to chase. :)

Glad you kept it upright and were able to ride the rest of the day!

TeamBeer

I just about lost it on turn 5 in the first session with cold tires and almost no throttle. That track was cold and damp in the shadows.

bryant#40

Nice save, quick reflexes! I did the same thing on a yamaha demo R1 a while back. Near-highsides are always scary

madriders86

Wowzers you stepped it way out! Haha.

My .02

Possible a little aggressive on the throttle, but I doubt it. Body position plays a big part in determining how much throttle you can apply at any given time. Food for thought.

Good save, those don't always work out that way lol.

Godfather

Nice save! I'm no expert but were your tires cold? I would like to see the whole video also as the quality was good. Take care.

R/
Mike "Godfather" Beard

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
Looks like you went in shallow, and had to give more lean angle than usual, then gave it gas aggressively before you started to pick up the bike. Aggressive throttle input when it is cold or if you are on a warm-up lap makes it worse.

Glad you were able to save it!!

Godfather

Wow, I can't believe they passed your bike at tech with knobbies! They work well in the grass though! AWESOME SAVE!

Mike "Godfather" Beard
#67 B Group

Fatboy

Nice save. Cold tires maybe in end of Oct. But for sure you are attemptimg to square off an "exit" corner. You can see in the vid where you counter steer then pitch it in. Too much lean angle while picking up throttle to abruptly.
You should have been turned sooner with less lean angle hiting knee on curbing then starting to stand bike up, gaining throttle and running out to curbing/access road. By the time you get there you should be full throttle trying to stop the thing from wheelieing over the hill
Hope this helps, the guy in front had a better line. Grab a Cr and work on this corner, its important and much fastrer then you think if your not trying to turn soooo much