Road Atlanta this weekend

trackrat963

I had signed up for my first track day this weekend, Friday, which now looks to be full of rain and thunderstorms. I was to be in the Intro group, and if all went well, would have paid for the rest of the day. Being what the weather looks like now, I decided to cancel, as I didn't feel comfortable riding my first track day in the rain. How will I know if they cancel the event, and/or reschedule? I'd hate to miss out, and will sign back up if they move it to other days.

trackrat963

Well, like I said, it was to be my first ever track day, and I'm not comfortable doing it in heavy rain and possible lightening. You guys that have more track experience than me might be cool with that, but I'm not. So I'll just have to miss it.

matt2212

I understand but rain can teach you a lot

How to be smooth and good body position come to mind

No one is saying go out in a deluge but light to moderate rain or a wet track I think you would be amazed at what is possible on street tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trackrat963

Yeah, but I think I'd be more comfortable working on my track skills under dry conditions. Been riding street for decades in all kinds of conditions, but I'm taking baby steps when it comes to track. Here's hoping the conditions are more favorable on other days.

trackrat963

Well Matt, I should have taken your advice. The weather forecasts missed it completely for today, and I understand riders got about 80% of the day for great riding. I re-signed up for Saturday, and now the rain has been pushed into it, according to the forecasts. Here's hoping they'll miss it again, because I'm going, rain or shine.
Thanks,

matt2212

Everyone had a blast today... Come on by I will be hosting the beginner pit area tomorrow come see me hang out and have a blast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRA

You know, Ive had track days where it started out wet and ended up dry, started out dry and ended up wet, started dry and ended dry, and started wet and ended wet (with lots of dry track in between). There has been lots of hand wringing going on about the weather lately, and if you want to base your activities around a profession that is totally accurate a very small percentage of the time, then I guess you will just have to resign yourself to missing a lot of fun track days like today. It was an awesome day with plenty of clear dry track and sunshine.

Psychoholic

I had one of the best track days I've had yet yesterday! Riding in the light drizzle of the morning forced me to be smoother on transitions and throttle, and when it dried up it reaaaaally paid dividends in speed. Looks like today might be about the same type of weather - I'm about to load up and head up there now.

Great weekend

It was a fantastic weekend for sure - Kenny, Corey, Ruhe, all the Irish Racing folks (and ladies) did one hell of a job getting us all fed. The digs were top shelf and the pig was outta site!! NESBA (John, Jeff, Cal, VJ, Peanut) - hats off to you guys - best event I've ever been to. Thanks to Yamaha for the demo bikes and for all the great prizes they donated, John at Pics of You, Tommy & Susan of Trackside Gear, and a BIG thanks to Chuck at Performance Cycleworx. The biggest thanks goes out to everyone that came out rain and shine to support the Airfence fundraiser. I got some great track in all three days, learned a lot about riding in different track conditions, saw some awesome riding and hung out with some awesome riders and good friends.

Tried to get a birthday bump to A group this afternoon (I'll be 55 tomorrow) but not quite ready yet - thanks for the tow Steve and for the tips on what I need to work on to get to that next level!:bumpme:

It just doesn't get any better than this weekend for me - I'll hang on to this memory for a long, long time.:D

HJ

trackrat963

Bob Ornduff had moved me to Saturday, and when I arrived, it was pouring. Yet by the time John did the rider meetings, the sun was poking through, and by the time my group (novice-intro) went out, the track was mostly dry, and got a great day of riding in. So glad I did. My fears of a first-ever track day were alleviated, and I had the time of my life. I also was probably overly concerned as well, because I had cervical spinal surgery 6 weeks ago, replaced two discs in the base of my neck. But I rode with a neck brace, just in case, and all was good. John, your control riders were superb. I had told a couple of them my situation, and they were very informative and encouraging. In all, a day well spent.
I'll be back, either at one of the Barber events coming up, and/or the Road Atl events next year.