Road Atlanta

tiggen

Southerly;168448 wrote: I am rather disappointed with the 2011 NESBA schedule as it currently stands, what with only one Road Atlanta event and three Barber events. Nothing at all in the SE in May this year. With my work schedule it will be difficult to travel to the tracks that are further away. With RA and Barber I am able to drive to the track the morning of the event, and drive home at the end of it. Trying to do the 7 hour drive to VIR wouldn't work, as I would be too tired to ride after being up most of the night. I guess I will have to give CMP a try this year as it is a bit closer, although I would find five hours is still a long drive before or after riding for a day.
:agree: on all points. Wish NESBA would do Tally, Jennings, and Roebling, too, as they are all in the SE. I have yet to try CMP as well (haven't heard much about it good or bad), but VIR is just out of the question for me. Still wonder why it's not considered Mid-Atlantic. (I'm sure there are many valid reasons for all of the above; I just don't know them.) Also, the dearth of SE dates makes it hard for me to justify an elite membership. For that money I can have two track days at Jennings or Tally if I book at the right times.

Maybe we should start SESBA.:D

Old Yeller

SESBA will have the same problem as NESBA. too many events at current tracks and too few weekends for the rest of us. :(

We need more tracks in the SE!

vanbreezy

I feel the same way about the elite membership but my disappointment is tempered by the fact it is only Jan. I will wait to see the rest of the schedule:agree:

Southerly

betarace;168454 wrote: A couple of points here:

5. I (respectfully) suggest being patient
I thought I was being patient. I waited until the second week of January to vent:)

On your point 2, I didn't mean it was a NESBA issue at RA, but more of an issue with the track not booking bike days, including AMA not being there this year.

We do need more tracks in the SE, particularly ones that can host larger events. I understand one of the other major groups has dropped Tally this year as they found it was too small to stage profitable events. I really do hope that AMP does manage to open this year, but with the current weather it won't be until at least June even if they don't have any more legal issues.

tiggen

Southerly;168528 wrote: We do need more tracks in the SE, particularly ones that can host larger events. I understand one of the other major groups has dropped Tally this year as they found it was too small to stage profitable events.
I realize I'm still new to all this, but Tally was PACKED all three times I went there with WERA last year, so I'm curious where the "Tally is too small" argument comes from.

(Southerly, just quoting, not saying you're wrong or you came up with it. Like I said, I don't know. Just curious.)

betarace

think about it, a 9 month riding season at RA and only 6 days between 2 clubs? Unlikely unless RA's problems are more serious than they are letting on

betarace

meganogin;168558 wrote: :Only Don Panoz really knows, unfortunately, I lost his number.....:doh:

I gotta do everything around here I guess...

Daniel E Panoz
2108 Rue Charlemagne
Braselton, GA 30517-2494
(770) 867-1820

betarace

I wish I were joking, but that is really his number and address

I just talked to him and he said "tell all them whining bitches to sit down and wait for the full NESBA schedule to come out" :)

Southerly

tiggen;168530 wrote: I realize I'm still new to all this, but Tally was PACKED all three times I went there with WERA last year, so I'm curious where the "Tally is too small" argument comes from.

(Southerly, just quoting, not saying you're wrong or you came up with it. Like I said, I don't know. Just curious.)
I think the reasoning was that it costs them almost as much to stage an event there as at a larger track, apart from the lower track rental cost. The smaller track means that they can run fewer bikes on it, so they can't sign up as many people. Since it is a smaller track and everyone knows it is cheaper to rent, they also have to charge less. So lower costs, but a lot less income means it is hard to make ends meet.

With the small size of Tally it looks crowded with a much smaller crowd. I did enjoy it the one time I rode there. It is great for practicing left turns.

TeamBeer

Tally is a lot of fun, but it is hard to beat the variety available at RA. I hope to get to VIR this year. It looks like and awesome facility.