Road Rash And Tattoos

bodell

Anyone have any special remedy for road rash? Ive been doing the neosporin, but it seems like the wound stays wet and wont heal. It is further confusing considering I have a full sleeve tattoo on the arm with the rash. I have decided to do nothing to it today and see if it stops "oozing" yellow snot. I am on day 4 here and am getting concerned that the ink (which is coming out on the bandages) is keeping it from healing.

rk97

I'm not a nurse, but I believe you want it to stay 'wet.'

scabbing is nature's way of keeping crud from getting IN, but I don't think it really speeds up the healing process. of course this is largely based on knowledge gathered from neosporin commercials, so take that with a grain of salt.

I'm not sure how the tattoo will effect things. I've never rashed mine, but there's a chance your body could be 'cleaning' the ink out. When they tattoo you, it doesn't even fully penetrate your skin, so some of the ink may already be gone.

i'm morbid enough to want pictures of this... hope you heal up well.

bodell

picture.php

Blends in with tattoo...

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
It's the neosporin that's pulling the ink out. I've had the best results with A&D Ointment (on my tattoos and injuries over them). Keep it moist, but not wet. Basically, treat it like a new tattoo. It'll scab up, but you want to minimize the depth.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
ninjamansc;75753 wrote: It's the neosporin that's pulling the ink out. I've had the best results with A&D Ointment (on my tattoos and injuries over them). Keep it moist, but not wet. Basically, treat it like a new tattoo. It'll scab up, but you want to minimize the depth.
+1.........

dj life

Take Vitamin E pills and use a Vitamin E cream on it. I used to work in a tat shop and always recommended it to people. Vit. E is very good for the skin.

626suzuki

Aquaphor is the best for that rash and tattoos. A and d ointment is made to pull out the infection from diaper rash and pulls out ink too. Just treat it like a new tattoo wash it twice a day with dial soap and keep a real lite coat of that on it.

Burnall4

From a guy with a lot of tattoos...Lubriderm NON MEDICATED, nothing added, and keep it lubed up and you will be fine. I got a bad burn on one of my 1/2 sleeves from a lighter and you can't see it now.

Wash it twice a day and keep it lubed up with the lubriderm, it comes with blue writing. It is really important you get the non medicated version.

Stay away from A and D. Shea butter works too!

Can you spot the burn ;)
n25500646_30414489_1693.jpg

Timmay!

Walgreens (or most pharmacies I suspect) sell an abrasion patch by Johnson & Johnson, it's about 2.5" x 5" and it will completely cover up and seal most abrasions. Overlap if necessary... In about 2 weeks it comes off and you'll have all nice new pink skin underneath... It's incredible. And the best part is there's only the occaisional itching, but no cracking scabs and pain. FTW!

I went down 2 years ago and had bad abrasions on the back of both calves and on both knees and these were the most Incredible things ever. I was walking normally the next day.

They look gross when they're done, but the do the trick. Best $10 you'll ever spend.

Burnall4

Timmay!;76034 wrote: Walgreens (or most pharmacies I suspect) sell an abrasion patch by Johnson & Johnson, it's about 2.5" x 5" and it will completely cover up and seal most abrasions. Overlap if necessary... In about 2 weeks it comes off and you'll have all nice new pink skin underneath... It's incredible. And the best part is there's only the occaisional itching, but no cracking scabs and pain. FTW!

I went down 2 years ago and had bad abrasions on the back of both calves and on both knees and these were the most Incredible things ever. I was walking normally the next day.

They look gross when they're done, but the do the trick. Best $10 you'll ever spend.
Just took my grandmother to CVS and I saw these things, I wish I knew about them when I got my burn!

Perlzuki

BoDell, Sorry to hear about the roadrash. Burns really suck! Bacitracin & telfa non stick pads daily should help keep the area wet & keep infections from forming. I got burned pretty bad last winter & you really don't want infection to set in!
Good luck,

Mark
SE CR #249
06 GSXR 1000

PJZOCC624

Any kind of "ointment" has the potential of pulling out the ink. Stick with a cream based antibiotic and keep the wound covered loosely with a non-stick gauze pad (Telfa). Vit E is a good suggestion, but wait till the scabbing has subsided. Clean it up 2 to 3 times a day and re-apply the neosporing cream, redress with a new Telfa pad... just give it time and be patient.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I also love Tattoo Goo. However, I think you need an antibiotic ointment. You're not trying to heal a new tattoo, you've got more serious, deeper road rash that's oozing pus. Bacitracin would be good, and won't pull the ink out. My artist recommended that the first few days, so it's safe for tats, and is an antibiotic as well. If it keeps oozing pus, I'd see a doc.

denbsteph

If it's oozzing, be on the safe side and go see the Dr. What is it gonna hurt? Sorry to hear about the road rash.

dbakerpa

It is the inflammation that is pulling the ink out. It may be the neosporin tha ts keeping the area inflammed. Neomycin can really irritate a wound after 3-4 days. most people will start to develop a reaction to it at that point. If you can keep the inflamation down you can keep it from loosing more ink. Try plain telfa with petroleum gel FILM on it. Not gobbed on. Wash with warm soapy water daily. If this looks more red and angry you need to see someone.