Roebling Road 3/9 - 3/10

domarena33

Track Day Superstar
Hey everyone, I'm super pumped about this weekend as I'm sure many of you are. This is my 1st time at RR and i'm sure there's more people than just me that have never been here. Does anyone have the gate details / hours this weekend? Also, if anyone knows anything specific to RRR that a newcomer may not know or know to ask it would be great to hear it!

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Also, if anyone knows anything specific to RRR that a newcomer may not know or know to ask it would be great to hear it!
RRR is surrounded by residential homes, so the noise ordinances are enforced during quiet hours. You will probably be requested to walk your bike to tech in the morning. So if you're getting a camping spot, it's nice to get one closer to tech. If you need electricity overnight, definitely get a camping spot and pay for power, since I don't think they'll let you run a generator at night. Maybe call ahead to confirm this.

The track infield is the paddock, and to access it you have to cross the track. This means you're locked inside when the track is hot. With the recent ambulance incident, I wouldn't be surprised if there are some new rules concerning this.

Have fun!

tdelegram

Control Rider
Generators are ok at night, no bikes motors before 8:00AM not sure the time at night you can't run them. All electricity has to be purchased. An email should come out later in the week with entrance time.

@domman89

The track is fast and flowy.

Take advantage of the CRs to learn the line. Without any CR help, I think a lot of people settle into "U-ing" the corners at RRR but that's a long time at lean angle and there's a lot more track available to get direction. It seems like there's only a couple of braking zones but once you start using all the track based on a CR's example, you'll find you can get into the brakes a lot more.

RRR's grid marshal is great. I don't remember his name but I think he exercises good control. I don't have all the facts about the ambulance incident from two years ago (just that it was driver initiative, uncoordinated obviously) but my perception is riders can go to RRR with confidence about grid marshal control.

If you run regular pump fuel, you'll want to get your gas outside. Only pricey canned fuel is available inside and it's only open during short windows.

Walking your bike to tech is a reality.

Bring a battery tender. Despite warm days it can still get cold enough in the early mornings of March to sap an untended battery.

High probability you'll really enjoy the track!

rpm894

@domman89

The track is fast and flowy.

Take advantage of the CRs to learn the line. Without any CR help, I think a lot of people settle into "U-ing" the corners at RRR but that's a long time at lean angle and there's a lot more track available to get direction. It seems like there's only a couple of braking zones but once you start using all the track based on a CR's example, you'll find you can get into the brakes a lot more.

RRR's grid marshal is great. I don't remember his name but I think he exercises good control. I don't have all the facts about the ambulance incident from two years ago (just that it was driver initiative, uncoordinated obviously) but my perception is riders can go to RRR with confidence about grid marshal control.

If you run regular pump fuel, you'll want to get your gas outside. Only pricey canned fuel is available inside and it's only open during short windows.

Walking your bike to tech is a reality.

Bring a battery tender. Despite warm days it can still get cold enough in the early mornings of March to sap an untended battery.

High probability you'll really enjoy the track!
Last time I was at RRR, I pulled into hot pit to try and clean bugs off my visor. As it turns out, the bugs are a lot juicer in GA than up north and they just smeared everywhere. The grid marshal guy saw me, pulled out a towel and water, and cleaned my visor while I was still on my bike wearing my helmet, which saved my last session. So yeah, he is great.

It bugs me that people are still talking about this ambulance like it is, or ever was, something to worry about or consider. Imagine if every time you had a flight booked, everyone talked about planes crashing. You would probably be overly focused on the risk of a plane crash and not focused enough on what will actaully kill you, like you going splat on a windshield in a car accident.

I was at Roebling just a few weeks back and was surprised to hear it still come up in paddock chatter (like a warning about an avalanche on a Green slope). My bringing it up my was intended to help anybody concerned get past the topic.

screamindemon

My girlfriend and I have our first track day at Roebling this weekend on Saturday. How concerned should we be about the weather?

Saturday is looking pretty rainy.

Do you have a decent canopy and chairs? Those will take care of you while off the track.

Do you have DOT tires with adequate siping? Those will take care of you while on the track.

If you have a shell you can put on over your leathers to mitigate how much water your leathers soak up, that helps a lot.

Well, first of all - welcome to the Emerald Empire of the East.

You’ll be in good shape with those tires but almost all reputable DOT tires these days are really good.

Take your time with everything.

First track day so success is making lots of observations and just learning. Put it out of your mind that you’re going to be super fast by the end of the day. That’s counterproductive to learning.

Read the Rider’s Manual. That will totally smooth out your experience.

Tech inspection is 07:00-08:00. Make sure to check your bike out before leaving home. Things are tight, fluids topped off, brake pads are good, chain is adjusted. Read the Rider’s Manual.

Rider’s meeting is 08:15. The Track Day Director will cover the fundamentals and then we break into Novice and Intermediate Groups for a little bit more guidance.

Make friends with the Control Riders (CRs) in Novice group. They wear the orange jersey on track and the orange baseball hat off the track. You can rely on them to give you great advice. Others (non-CRs) may be well intentioned but actually dispense bad advice. The CRs are all hand-selected for their riding AND coaching abilities. They have lots to give but they’re very good at offering just the right advice in digestible chunks. Trust them, watch them, do as they do.

Walk around the pit area and get to know your paddock neighbors. Don’t be bashful about telling people it‘s your first track day. 99 out of 100 people will take time out to welcome you and encourage you. That 1 person who wants to puff out his chest like he’s some kind of bad a$$ doesn’t matter. Ignore that guy. He probably sucks as a rider, too.

Don’t feel like you have to ride every session. Pace yourself with regards to how many sessions you do.

It’s a little bit of work but once you get rolling, it’s addictive. Getting around the track fast is great but the people are awesome.

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Be 0% concerned unless there are lightning strikes close. That will shut us down; otherwise I see the rain as a welcome challenge to build my skills and learn
If you don't have a set already, consider getting a rain over suit and also a pinlock visor for your helmet.
I have one of these for my gear and it works really well.
Pro tip: Put them on your leathers first, before getting in. They're almost impossible to put on after you get into your suit.

domarena33

Track Day Superstar
If you don't have a set already, consider getting a rain over suit and also a pinlock visor for your helmet.
I have one of these for my gear and it works really well.
Pro tip: Put them on your leathers first, before getting in. They're almost impossible to put on after you get into your suit.

I'll check that out, thank you.