sag

fclark00

I recently had my sag set on my 06 gsxr 750. It was pretty out of wack with the front being at 15mm and the rear at about 27. Now's its balanced at 30 in front and back but the amount of nose dive I am getting seems kind of excessive. I weigh about 180 with gear. When I push down on the front it goes down and comes back up just once and doesn't bounce. Am I just not used to it being set and is 30mm in front and back ok? I only have about a half a turn left on my rebound. Do I need stiffer springs?

rightsideup

If your sag is 30 with you in riding position and around 20 without you on the bike your spring weight should be good. If your an aggressive rider that is a lot of sag esp. on the track however but that shouldnt be your issue with the dive. Use the compression adjusters on the bottom of the forks. Turn them all the way in counting as you go so you know your starting point then back them back out 1 less quater turn then how far they were and go from there. The more in they go the stiffer your compression. Are you running zipties on your forks to see how much travel your using?

Also thats allot of sag for the rear as well.

I really recommend having someone set up the bike for you.

Let me know if you have anyquestions.

fclark00

Thanks, yeah I'm running zip ties but I havn't had a chance to check out the travel since I changed the suspension. i'll do it tomorrow at the track. I am a pretty hard on the brakes at the track. If 30mm is too much what would be a good setting?

I recently had the front wash out on me at turn 1 in main. Would the front end being too stiff have contributed to that? I'm still not sure what happened. I was trail braking about to get on the gas and the front just went out. At that time the front was about 15mm with me on the bike.

johnyisthedevil

I'm sure you'll get different responses; And I am by no means an expert, but for the track I think 30mm is a bit much. for the street it's fine, but on track you should be more along the lines of 25mm. as far as the dive goes, you can throw as much rebound at it as you want, but it isn't going to make much difference. Compression is where you need to focus for that. I'm not familiar with what spring weights come in the gixxer forks, but I can tell you this. The springs in my bike are the exact recomended for my wieght, but I do get excessive dive on hard braking. the problem is there is not enough adjustment range on my clickers to control the dive. so you probably have more of a damping issue than spring issue as most oe dampers don't have a lot of effective damping range. check out the racetech website, there is a spring weight calculator to see what springs you need and you can also look up what springs you have.

In the mean time I would add a touch of preload and a bit of compression in small increments to see if you can find something that works. You can also put a wire tie loosely around the slider of your fork to see just how far it is compressing or if it is bottoming out. good luck and small changes are your friend.

steve p

I had an 06 750. There are a lot of variables which you have not mentioned. Suspension, is it stock or aftermarket. What group do you ride in, What tires are you running. All these are important. The geometry is just as or more important than your sag numbers, especially on the gixxers. When mine was all stock my preload was all the way in, compression 3/8 of a turn out from full in, rebound I don't remember. I weigh 180 without gear. Fork tubes were flush with trpl and I had a 5mm shim in the rear shock. Again this was for all stock suspension. I was also running Michelin tires at the time. After switching to Pirelli I had to change the front a bit to accommodate the softer feel of the tire. Having your suspension set up by a pro will certainly help. Another thing that helps is your breaking technique. When breaking don't just grab a fist full of break but rather ease on the breaks and continually add more and more pressure. This technique requires breaking earlier but gradually reducing your speed, this way you don't just blow through the entire stroke of your front suspension. It will take a little practice to get used to should you decide to try it out.

Good luck

Brian Laws

For the track you actually want between 30-35mm total sag front and 25-35mm rear. As rightsideup stated, use compression to slow the movement downward. You can also add a little fork oil in the forks if yoiur not getting enough compliance from adjusting the compression.

For the street you actually want to decrease the preload to give a smoother ride. That requires more sag, say 40-45mm front and 35-40mm rear.