School me: salt water vs ion systems???

PJZOCC624

So we are putting in a pool this summer, and we were set on a salt water system. The 3rd pool company we met with offered an ion system for keeping the pool clean. Until then I'd never heard of one :dunno:

Anyone have a pool with a salt water system? How long have you had it? Does the salt cause pitting in the concrete or cause issues with decking around the pool or liner? One company said yes to the pitting, and that the salt systems decrease liner life. The other 2 companies mentioned nothing of liner issues :confused: .

How about the ion system? Any issues or things to be aware of? Seems to be an even better option than salt if you believe the manufacturer's claims.

We've been checking with friends/family around here, but nobody has the ion system. Those that have the salt system have all said good things, but nobody we've talked to have had theirs for more than 5 years. I know they're more popular and have been around longer down south. I'm hoping some of the NESBA population can shed some light on this for us!

TIA!