Season is approaching - time for maintenance!

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Well, Tom - I had to listen to them too. You have no idea what kind of labor that was!

Actually, I think Ron took way more pictures than I did. We were all working hard - maybe not smart.... All in all, though, I was surprised that we really did make good time. I'd say 3 hours last night to take the motor out (though I had really had it to where the mount bolts were the only thing left in before starting) and having it essentially reassembled with the new frame, lacking only the fuel tank to start it. I had some things to do today, so all I did was add coolant, reattach the shift linkage and left rearset. I need to finish cleaning the BMC air cleaner before starting it - then oil change and bodywork goes back on. Already tested connections - turned on power to check for any codes. There is no way I'd have gotten it done that fast by myself. And I've never torn a GSXR down completely, so having a couple guys familiar with the bike helped.

As the weekend draws near and I actually get the energy to do some work on the bikes, I cant help but get excited for the upcoming year. Booked most of my days already!

And as a newer guy to the track...

9d0c676e9853c1e0fa76a433b12e05f5.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Micah, did you get it installed? Also assuming you're setup for GP shift, right? If so, you're gonna really enjoy it!

On my end, good news and bad news. The good news is that the GSXR, formerly with frame issue, is back up and running. Cleaned and recharged BMC air filter, and now really only need to change the oil, and button it back up. Well, actually, have to reset the torque on the steering stem. I torqued both of the castle nuts correctly - but forgot to back of the bottom one 1/4 to 1/2 turn before installing the second one. I got distracted and just remembered last night.

Bad news - Truck needs a front hub bearing replaced to pass inspection. So, the bearing effectively costs me a set of tires. Doh!

tdelegram

Control Rider
Micah, did you get it installed? Also assuming you're setup for GP shift, right? If so, you're gonna really enjoy it!

On my end, good news and bad news. The good news is that the GSXR, formerly with frame issue, is back up and running. Cleaned and recharged BMC air filter, and now really only need to change the oil, and button it back up. Well, actually, have to reset the torque on the steering stem. I torqued both of the castle nuts correctly - but forgot to back of the bottom one 1/4 to 1/2 turn before installing the second one. I got distracted and just remembered last night.

Bad news - Truck needs a front hub bearing replaced to pass inspection. So, the bearing effectively costs me a set of tires. Doh!
I needed an oil change and bought a new truck, try it, new truck no problems!

tdelegram

Control Rider
So I know I mentioned cleaning and conditioning your leathers, don't forget to change that brake fluid too.

mpusch

Micah

Your frame issue about gave me a stomach ache. Ugh.

Not currently running GP shift. Stock rearsets. Had one warm day to try it out. Worked pretty well, but on the street it's hard to really get high enough in the rev range to get where it shines. Having a Bluetooth connection to fiddle with the settings is cool though. Should help.

My list for the offseason so far:
1) buy spare engine mount bolts. My Daytona has chomped through two under my ownership.

2) tear down / clean brake calipers

3) clean and regrease trailer bearings

4) send out steering stabilizer to be refreshed

5) new front pads

6) oil change

7) general visual inspection

bmart

Control Rider
I'm afraid to ask how "buy spare engine mount bolts. My Daytona has chomped through two under my ownership." happens... Did it enjoy with them a spot of tea with you and the missus?

General question. My 06 cbr 600 is dripping some fuel from the gas tank drain hose (not the breather). Its just a couple drops after running. Any thoughts on this? Ran it all summer, just started doing it last September. Nothing looks pinched under the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpusch

Micah
I'm afraid to ask how "buy spare engine mount bolts. My Daytona has chomped through two under my ownership." happens... Did it enjoy with them a spot of tea with you and the missus?

First time happened on my first track day. Pulled into the pits in the 5th or 6th session, put it on the side stand, and the bolt slid out the side. It had sheared right off... Not that it's common, but I'm not the first Daytona owner to have this happen.

The replacement was fine for two years. Locktite and proper torque, along with fairly regular inspection. This past year on track it just unscrewed itself. Found spacers and the nut in the lower fairing...

I'm just going to safety wire the stupid things now. I do about everything else anyways...

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Your frame issue about gave me a stomach ache. Ugh.

Not currently running GP shift. Stock rearsets.

You might want to think about trying GP Shift. I have to say, I switched for my 2nd weekend when I was starting. I would never consider going back on the track.