Share your first track day experience!

bmart

Control Rider
Working with a whole group of newish riders this past weekend at CMP got me thinking about when I was in their shoes. The fundamental questions that they asked. That they asked questions at all. There were like smiling sponges...and I soaked all of that in. As Jean Luc Picard famously said, "Recently, I've become aware that there are fewer days ahead than there are behind." It was a nice reminder for me of so many lovely memories, memories that I hope that they make as they move forward from last weekend to make new friends and add life saving skills to their toolbox.

Then it hit me that folks might enjoy if others posted about their own first track day. I hope that you share your own story with us.

Here's mine:

It was the summer of 1998. I had been riding on the street for 11 years prior and on 11 wildly varying bikes, all on the sporty side of things. I led most rides from just one friend to 150+ riders on multi-day rides. People rode a lot more then. They presented as motorcyclists. This seems to have morphed over time to people who own motorcycles. Not a criticism, but an observation (I miss those old days!). Maybe I was just lucky to have so many people who wanted to share a day on two wheels on any given day, rain or shine...and even some snow. I lived in New England then. For years now, I've met most of my future riding buddies at track days...and ride with them on the track and a little on the street...so it isn't all bad!

Back to 1998. A few unpleasant life situations arose and I wasn't a very happy camper. A few friends on my rides mentioned that I should consider racing. I don't have any competitive bones, so it didn't really appeal to me. And those people who ride on the track are nuts. Right? After mulling it around, I signed up for a single day with Jason Pridmore in his CLASS school. I was a little nervous, but confident in my abilities. The bike I had at the time was a 1990 CB-1 (I'm on CB-7 now...so yes, I love them). 400cc, ~50RWHP modified, 403# wet...so not what you would call fast, but it handled great.

The whole track day scene was nothing like it is today. There were no women riding and almost no women there. No kids. No pets. Some amount of swearing and spitting. All of that has improved with the inclusion of women, especially with them riding and coaching. It is much more family friendly. Most people didn't have RVs...or campers...or trailers...or special track day anything. I rode up to New Hampshire International Raceway on my little 400, in my leather suit, with a backpack with tools and tape to prep it for the days, something I would have to undo at the end of the day to ride the 90 minutes back home. So yeah...different times.

Staff was awesome. Jason and his dad are a class act. They were patient, kind, open, and clear in how they communicated. Like most first day sponges, some info got in, but so much of it was missed. There's just so much to learn, even if you think you're a rockin' rider. It was quite obvious that day that years and miles of riding mean virtually nothing when knowing how much skill a rider actually has to rely on when they need it. I would have put myself at 4/5 stars, but quickly realized that I had no stars. I wasn't a star. Truly, I knew zero, ziltch, nada about motorcycling. I really had no business riding at all. Eye opening to see the risk I had been putting myself and my friends in. And then realizing that most folks on the roads on two wheels were probably in the same category.

My clearest memory from that day is still crystal clear all of these years later. It was going into turn one feeling like I had "mastered" it, and being passed by a guy who was the spitting image of Santa. On a gold flecked BMW, jugs proudly nearly dragging the track, with hard bags attached...going by me like I was stopped. Frackin' Santa. Really. It was that moment that hooked me. I loved riding, but it was clear that this wasn't a sport that I wanted to do poorly (something I so often say to other riders regarding not only their skills but their rider and bike prep). It was time to rider-up, get engaged, and start putting tools in my toobox.

So...I did. I dragged my nearest and dearest friends to the track and I've never looked back. I think that I've had ~baker's dozen of my own bikes out for laps and many of my friends' bikes as well as demos. If you get a chance to ride the demo bikes, do it. Enjoy the experience. If you get a chance to do a two up ride with an expert, do it. You will be amazed at how clunky what you may be doing is compared to how glass smooth they are. Pridmore showed me that...on a VFR. Take advantage fo what you can and add to your knowledge base. If a voice in your head is saying" I'm only going on a bike I'm controlling" then you're really missing out.

For years, it was just a few tracks per season for me. Cost is a factor for most of us, in money and time. Still, they helped me get "better" at this sport that we love. Once I moved south and discovered NESBA, things really ramped up. I met some local folks I could travel with (cut costs in 1/2!) and started enjoying track days instead of taking disappointing vacations. I was doing ~15/year starting in 2007, so it took me nine years to really be able to ramp up.

I do hope that folks share their stories. Writing this makes me so appreciative of what motorcycling, and track days have given me over the years. I hope the same for you.

A few old memories that I dug out!

Bolt upright in '99...but not crossed up! 90s colors were awesome!

brad.jpg

Hawk Racing School in 2002. I still remember Dominic, my instructor.

me webshot.jpg

Following a friend I still keep in touch with. He raced his CB-1.

Chuck and Brad.jpg

Being chased by a dear friend at the Beaver in PA waaaay back in 2004.

DSC_5030desktop2.jpg

So many memories. Go get yours.

Laszlo

Wonderful. Epic. Maybe there could be an annual N2 photo book with net proceeds going to the Fence fund taking great posts like this with good pictures. Regardless, wonderful post.

Skip to the bold print for the essential info.

Adventure bike guy for 15 years. Moved from Colorado to Florida. Found it wasteful to chew through dual purpose tires commuting back and forth to work without any dirt roads to liven up my commute. Also, the adventure bike was unwieldy for urban stop-n-go traffic.

Thought it appropriate to pick up an “old guy” sportbike. Low-mileage VFRs not readily available so bought the commonly-accepted category successor - Ducati SuperSport.

Went to a SuperSport rally up in the Southeast US mountains. Other guys were wicked fast but I could tell they were smooth and safe. Thought to myself, “I have to be able to ride like that. There has to be some training course to learn how to do that.”

Buddy of a buddy invited me to a track day at Jennings GP in 2018. Didn’t do a lick of research about what a track day means. Left home at 4:00am with a Kriega full of water bottles. Arrived at the track at 7:00am. Rode bolt upright all day in the Florida heat in some nasty, scabby, ill-fitting rental leathers and gauntlet gloves. Rode like crap but was amazed at what my bike was capable of. Didn’t crash so proclaimed the day a success. Guy in the paddock next to me was 70 years old, dressed in spotless leathers and riding in the Advanced Group better than guys half his age (Track Day Director’s observation). I thought, “That’s what right looks like.” Impressed, overwhelmed and exhausted, rode the three hours back home.

One week later left the US for two years working with Department of State in Saudi Arabia. No motorcycling for two loooong years. Had some free time so started watching MotoGP.

Came home in January 2021 and went to ChampSchool one week later. Mixture of excitement about receiving high quality training and frustration from unexpectedly learning how many bad habits I had.

Started a new job with adult responsibilities. Months came and went. No time for track days but commuted 200 miles RT several times a week. It’s Florida so maybe had four corners in those 200 miles. Not the kind of motorcycling I wanted to be doing and no interest in caving in to a Gold Wing (just burped up some dinner). Kept thinking about the fast riders up in north Georgia, Tennessee and the Carolinas.

Signed up for another ChampSchool all the way up at NJMP in 2021. Confirmed again my deeply-entrenched levels of suckiness but now had a real chart to navigate my way out of the jungle of ignorance and learned mediocrity. Accepted that this was going to be a process and not a shake-n-bake solution. Further accepted that the previous 18 years of riding had just been sitting atop a motorized vehicle while in motion.

Florida season opened up while everybody up north was dealing with winter weather. Went to a few track days at Jennings GP. The Track Day Director from my Jennings GP experience had a momentary lapse of judgment and asked me to be on the Board of Directors for a 501(c)3 non-profit that trains military, veterans, firemen, law enforcement and medical providers how to ride their bikes at the track. I’m the blind leading the blind but at least able to help give them something better than a parking lot course weaving in and out of pee-wee soccer cones in first gear only. The foundation shall remain nameless but you know who you are.

Moved to Virginia in Summer 2022. Lots of tracks within striking distance. 2022 = first real season of track riding. One weekend with N2. Next weekend with PRE. Feel like a child of divorced parents swapping visitation weekends. Best approach for me has been avoid loyalty wars and don’t play Mom against Dad.

Rode a new-to-me track with EvolveGT in 2022 and didn’t evaluate the run out. Lack of focus led to overconfidence and that led to rushing corner entry. Gave up making a corner and left the track at pace onto a downhill, off-camber section with wet grass. Hard lowside, broke three ribs and partially collapsed a lung. Little shook up but didn’t know I was really injured so rode another session and then packed up. Didn’t feel so good that week so went to the hospital. PA was like Barney Fife with dramatic overreactions until the Surgeon showed up like Sheriff Andy to settle things down and get the PA to holster her 14 gauge ventilation needle she wanted to poke through my 5th intercostal gap. Released from the hospital and went to the CIA’s training grounds from the 1940s and walked 14 miles several times over a few weeks to re-inflate my lung and reset my ribs. Back on the track in less than 30 days.

2023 arrives, back home in Florida in a new job with flexible leave and ain’t no screwin’ around now…I’m here to train with my ChampSchool principles and techniques. Been burning up I-95 this year getting to track days. Happy to be focusing on the ChampSchool curriculum with N2 and PRE.

I‘ve gone full nerd and am unashamed that ChampSchool principles and phrases have invaded my dialogue at work with senior leaders. However, I’ve exercised some discretion and haven’t given in (yet) to vocalizing a series of downshifts in the braking zone.

Also happy to attend MotoAmerica races to support the N2/BHM team. Still watching MotoGP but they don’t capture my attention as much as WorldSBK. Pretty stoked with the “Endure” YouTube series bringing WERA to a viewing audience.

Looking forward to growing through the rest of 2023 and for new goals and accomplishments in 2024.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I'll try to keep it short-ish. I was always obsessed with motorcycles. Got my license at 18, but with school and such, I didn't get a bike until 1986 - an '82 Yamaha XS650. Around 1990 I joined a women's motorcycle club. I was road captain for several years. Two of the women rode sporty bikes, I really enjoyed riding backroads with them after the slowish club rides. Next bike was a '92 Yamaha FZR 600. Lost touch with the sportbike riding women, but ran into one of them at a women's MC festival some years later, around '94. We started riding together again, all over twisty backroads. I loved the sporting/technical aspect of riding. She rode with a track club - Reduc Sportbike Association - the first track club in the northeast, founded in 1992. They ran at Pocono, Summit, and BeaveRun. She encouraged me to join, but I didn't want to be out there not knowing anything. I wanted to take a school or something first.

She found out about an all-women Reg Pridmore CLASS being held at Loudon Raceway in NH (NH International Raceway). I borrowed a set of leathers from her husband and went! This was 1995, still had the Fizzer. I learned so much!! Reg and Jason focused on smooth inputs and presented information in a clear way that I found I would be comfortable on a racetrack. I was hooked and joined Reduc that year, 1995.

Subsequent track/street bikes were a Ducati SS, Honda CBR 929, then the current 2007 GSXR which is my first track-only bike.

I rode with Reduc until they sold it to STT around 2006. I rode with STT for a bit, then STT stopped running events in the northeast, too much competition at the time, I guess. So then I checked out NESBA in 2007. I learned a lot riding with NESBA, as they had more emphasis on coaching than Reduc did. I wished I had found them sooner, but I had a lot of friends at Reduc.

At some point, I took Reg Pridmore's CLASS again, then Kevin Schwantz Suzuki School, then YCRS. YCRS was around 2011, and that's where I finally learned trailbraking! Yeah, that wasn't taught anywhere else. That changed my riding for the better.

Got my A bump with NESBA in 2011.

2014 was the end of NESBA and the beginning of N2. Started as a CR with N2.

I'm still at it! It's been incredible. I continue to work on my skills, both as a rider and coach. So many memories, so many great folks I've met over the years!! Got to experience a lot of tracks - the usuals are NJMP, Summit, PittRace. Over the years I've been to NH Speedway, Grattan Raceway, Jennings, Road Atlanta, VIR, Mid-O, NC Bike.

I hope to continue for some years yet. Love this sport!!

meanstrk

Control Rider
Been riding pretty much my whole life starting in mini bikes as a kid, graduating to dirt bikes as I grew, to my first real bike purchased when I was stationed at Camp Pendleton in the form of an 87 Honda Supermagna. (Still own one too!) I later on got a 91 Katana 600 and, even though it was a bit of a non handling slug, I learned how to ride it quick and could run with guys on proper sort bikes on the right roads. Got a Bandit 1200 and built it into a good handling hot rod and rode in the mountains quite a bit. Turned out that one of the guys I rode with was a CR for a now defunct organization, US Desmo, and when promoted to go do a real track day, he put me straight into Intermediate based on how he knew I could ride. Even so, it was definitely eye opening in that it seemed many dudes showed up on space ships diguised as motorcycles. I did a few track days on that bike and then got a CBR 600RR and finally had a proper bike. I did quite a few days with US Desmo and then moved and one of my friends recommended NESBA, which was next level NESBA days led to A group, which led to WERA and racing for a season and after that, into CR duties. I recently got back into racing after an 8 year hiatus, which ended badly at CMP last month. It is currently unknown when I will be able to ride again, but when I can, I will be wearing that orange vest again.

@meanstrk - Painting race bikes for MotoAmerica teams and being a CR in the Emerald Empire of the East is a pretty bad ass bio IYAM. Heal up, brother. Looking forward to getting some coaching from you!